Review / trip report Rainbow Reef Dive Center, Key Largo FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoolsOpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I Dove with Rainbow Reef about 6 times (12 dives) this year. Some were after the merger with Ocean Divers. Here are some observations.

I try to arrive at RR by 730am. Before the merger they would usually open at 8am, now they open by 745. Easy enough to check in and pick up rental gear (BCD & regs). When you call and make the reservation let them know if you need nitrox and it will already be on the boat on your corresponding spot. They give you a wristband for nitrox and another one with the boat’s name to avoid confusion. Every time I’ve gone there all staff - from the office, to the Capts, to the dive guides - are all very friendly and make you feel at home. I prefer one of the deep wrecks followed by a shallow dive. Even if the boat is full they split divers into groups of 6 and splash at different times so it doesn’t get too hectic. They let you know when 10 minutes away from dive site so plenty of time to get ready. On the wrecks (Spiegel Grove & Duane) I’ve had both extremes. No current at all with 100 ft visibility, to ripping current where you felt like a flag while doing the safety stop. If so desired, tell your guide that you’re OK with swim thru’s and if you have a flashlight and feel comfortable they will accommodate. Both of these wrecks are a definite bucket list item for any diver near Key Largo and I enjoy coming back for more. Once everyone is back on the boat they do a name check and on the way to one of the reefs. From my notes the SI interval is usually around 40 minutes (deep wreck followed by shallow reef) which is perfect and gives you plenty of NDL on 2nd dive without spending too much time on the surface. Molasses reef is beautiful and has plenty of fish. Small reef sharks sometimes pass by but you’re more likely to see nurse sharks, turtles and green eels. There are plenty of smaller fish like yellow tail and parrot fish hanging under the ledges. French reef is also nice and has a lot of cave-like formations that allow for easy swim-thru’s.

Note- When looking at the schedule they list 5 boats on top and 3 boats on the bottom row (Destiny, Serenity, Santana). These 3 boats are the ones located on the Ocean Divers side so make sure you go to the proper check-in.

Cons-
The boats are packed, and the “shallow boats” (2 shallow reefs) appear more packed. Maybe because of snorklers also?

They only have AL80 tanks and dives are about 45 minutes in the water. You will have a lot of air left over, especially on the shallow reefs.

They have deep reefs and walls (like conch wall) but they don't usually go in the morning. I dont know why.

Pros-
They are really about customer service. When our group of 5 did AOW a couple of years ago we showed up for the 1st day of dives (PPB & Navigation) and we had the small island hopper all to ourselves at no added cost!

Another time I went by myself for a midweek dive and when arrived I found out that I had a dive guide just for myself. The rest of the boat was filled with divers from a scuba club in Georgia.

Even though the boats are packed, they are large and you have plenty of room to move about. They splash groups at different times and as soon as you get back on the boat after the dive they walk you to your seat, so the rear of the boat stays clear of equipment/divers.

Overall they're great and it's nice to have a guide when going by myself and diving with an insta-buddy

I'm here now, good operation. Probably my 4th excursion with RR over the last few years.

Been a fan since they opened. They are still delivering superior service! Can't wait to get back down there

Good stuff to know. I just got my OW and im gearing up and I plan to dive key Largo next summer. These details are so important. I hate to spend money where I dont get treated well. Sounds like these folks are wired tight!

My daughter and I were with them over Spring Break this year, just for a stop and 1 boat dive... Customer service and their organization were great. The only thing my daughter and I noticed was the lack of space (shoulder room) on the boat we were on. We were packed in so tight we really could not don our BC completely (tighten buckles), pretty much did that on the walk back to the stern as well as once we splashed. Even trying to get both arms through our BCs was difficult given the shoulder room (lack of) we had. Neither of us are exceptionally large folks. Next time down there we will be more vigilant on the seating/size of the boat. Not sure if they have 6-packs down there due to the tourist business they attract, but maybe there's a happy medium?

Hi @PoolsOpen and others,

I'm interested in the 45 minute dive time. That seems about OK for the Duane, a little short for the Spiegel Grove, considerably too short for the shallow reefs/Benwood. Is this strict, enforced policy, or is it flexible depending on site, etc?

I have emailed RR for information

Scubadada: they'll let you do hour dives on the shallow wrecks/reefs if you're on your own. I've never used their guide service and they usually let me splash first, so have gotten slightly longer than hour dives too. I've also done mid 50 minute dives on the Spiegel Grove when I brought my own big tanks filled with a good nitrox mix

Scubadada: they'll let you do hour dives on the shallow wrecks if you're on your own. I've never used their guide service and they usually let me splash first, so have gotten slightly longer than hour dives too. I've also done mid 50 minute dives on the Spiegel Grove when I brought my own big tanks filled with a good nitrox mix
Hi @sportxlh

Thanks, good to hear. I've been missing the Key Largo wrecks lately, have not been there since 2015

I got back a very prompt response from Rainbow Reef:

Our typically dive time is 40-50 minutes. The Captain's issue a be back time
for the boat for everyone's safety.

Deep dives of course will change the amount of time you are allowed to be at
depth.

Best Regards,
Rainbow Reef Dive Center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom