Keep an eye on this one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was no bullet to dodge!

Anyone that cancelled their trip should have taken the advice of those of us who live these things and are seasoned storm vets. I can't emphasize enough what a non-event it was.

I could be wrong since this thread has grown rather large with discussion, but I don't recall anyone saying they had cancelled their trip. I read that people (including myself) were concerned that the airlines would (or would have to, depending on the path and strength of the storm) cancel the inbound flights leaving those of us that have to make several legs to get to Cozumel stranded in Houston until things got sorted out if the storm took a northern turn. We all know how miserable that can be after months of planning a fun get-a-way !!

I purchase trip insurance to cover these things (as all should do) but was informed that until the airline actually cancelled the flights because of the named storm the trip insurance wouldn't kick in. I couldn't wait at home, or in Phoenix, I would have to travel to Houston before the last leg of the trip was cancelled. That would require me to drive 120 miles, travel for 1-1/2 days before getting to Houston (because I have to overnight in Phoenix to catch the 5 am flight to Houston) only to have to turn around and return home, another day of travel and 120 miles driving. I think this was a valid concern, so I welcomed all opinions on what the storm would do on it's path toward the Yucatan.

I also don't recall anyone "freaking out" but in my many years of traveling I have been stuck in to many airports because of storms, snow, blizzards, tornados and yes, even heat (and a lot of those were in the days when traveling was fun). It isn't fun now and I would never rely on just one person's opinion before making my choice of traveling, or not. If the storm had stalled for even one day that would have put my travels and the storm on a direct collision course with Cozumel.

So I'm very happy that everything worked out so well.. but that isn't always the case.

I purchase trip insurance to cover these things (as all should do) but was informed that until the airline actually cancelled the flights because of the named storm the trip insurance wouldn't kick in.. that would require me to drive 120 miles, travel for 1-1/2 days before getting to Houston only to have to turn around and return home, another day of travel and 120 miles driving. I think that is a valid concern so I welcomed all opinions on what the storm would do on it's path toward the Yucatan.
May I ask who you insure with? That feature sounds worthless because if the airline cancels, then they will often refund anyway. Maybe the rest of your trip insurance is better, but mine will pay if the NHC forecasts a named storm to hit my destination.

I also don't recall anyone "freaking out" but in my many years of traveling I have been stuck in to many airports because of storms, snow, blizzards, tornados and yes, even heat (an a lot of those were in the days when traveling was fun). It isn't fun now and I would never rely on just one person's opinion before making my choice of traveling, or not. If the storm had stalled for even one day that would have put my travels and the storm on a direct collision course with Cozumel.
:laughing: Hail storm damaging every plane on the ground, etc. - yeah, been thru many...!!

Chris - people were actually pretty calm here on Scubaboard - I was impressed! However, I wasn't just referring to people here. There were very premature cancellations even from people coming in today, tomorrow and over the weekend! And on other forums, there was some freak out and doom and gloom reports from "wannabe" weather "experts" - who were clearly wrong.

As far as your trip insurance, I'm with Don. It's worthless if it only works when the airline cancels and refunds you anyway! I also don't think any trip insurance would kick in for this because Cozumel has been out of the cone for several days!

I have enjoyed reading the updates, Christi, you could probably get some money from some news networks as a foreign weather correspondent :)

May I ask who you insure with? That feature sounds worthless because if the airline cancels, then they will often refund anyway. Maybe the rest of your trip insurance is better, but mine will pay if the NHC forecasts a named storm to hit my destination.

Last year I was going to go from Phoenix to Long Beach for the Scuba Expo, a quick one hour flight (no storms). I got my confirmation (and seat) the morning of the flight, left home, drove 120 miles, got to the kiosk to check my bag and the flight had been cancelled.

I insure with TravelGuard. What I stated is what I was told. If I hadn't left and the flight wasn't cancelled in Houston I would not get a refund. They emphasized that I needed the "cancelled" flight confirmation from the airline, without it no refund. Of course everything was still flying at the time so I knew I could get to Houston from Phoenix and at the time the airline was still flying to CZM but that would have put me 1-1/2 days into my trip.

I didn't want to not go, but I also didn't want to get to Houston and be cancelled (insurance or not). The airlines said they would reschedule and try to get the people on the next available flight but we all know how that goes, sitting in Houston for a day or so.

So I checked with both the airline and insurance company and as it turned out it was still a flip of a coin on my end.

But it all ended well and I will be on my Saturday flight.

I have enjoyed reading the updates, Christi, you could probably get some money from some news networks as a foreign weather correspondent :)

Yea. Get her a weather channel jacket and stick her out on the malecon when its windy and rainy.

I insure with TravelGuard. What I stated is what I was told. If I hadn't left and the flight wasn't cancelled in Houston I would not get a refund. They emphasized that I needed the "cancelled" flight confirmation from the airline, without it no refund. Of course everything was still flying at the time so I knew I could get to Houston from Phoenix and at the time the airline was still flying to CZM but that would have put me 1-1/2 days into my trip.

I didn't want to not go, but I also didn't want to get to Houston and be cancelled (insurance or not). The airlines said they would reschedule and try to get the people on the next available flight but we all know how that goes, sitting in Houston for a day or so.

So I checked with both the airline and insurance company and as it turned out it was still a flip of a coin on my end.
Call TravelSafe - 1-888-885-7233 - see Comprehensive Travel Insurance | TravelSafe Insurance
Compare their rates, benefits, and ask them about that: If a named hurricane is forecast to hit my destination, am I covered...?

Yea. Get her a weather channel jacket and stick her out on the malecon when its windy and rainy.

If you remember, Jason and I WERE out taking video as the first bands of Wilma started coming through! Haha! Then we had to come inside because it was getting scary - it wasn't fun anymore!

LocoGringo posted photos on thier FB page.. small wind, small rain.. no big deal..
http://www.facebook.com/locogringomexico

I get my weather info from a weatherfax that I download the weather GRIB files. Been reading that stuff for a lot of years. Sailing around its not fun to head into a weather system.. I much prefer blue skies and fair winds... YMMV

Oh, it could have been a Coz storm, but barely Cat-1 if he had turned that way. After surviving Emily/Cat-4 and Wilma/Cat-5 both in 3 months, I guess a Cat-1 doesn't impress the island veterans so much.

Glad he went for less populated shores. Hope the harm down there wasn't too bad...

747ce9808269012f2fe000163e41dd5b

Pictures and reports from across the channel indicate that storm surge was the only issue there. Palm trees and even beach palapas still intact. Some beaches are a mess with everything that washed in, and very sadly, probably thousands of turtle eggs washed out in addition to those that are just laying out in the beach debris. Lots of nests were also dug up and the eggs kept safe in buckets of sand so they can be relocated, probably later today or tomorrow. Over there the waves are still bigger then usual, and it still windy, but otherwise, no real damage.

I read a news report about Mahahaul and Chetumal. Ernesto made landfall right around Mahahual, but max winds were only about 60mph. The beaches there are wider then further north up the coast, and the area isn't as populated. A friend of mine who has a place on the beach there said they took down all their internet equipment yesterday afternoon for safety, so she hasn't heard from anyone yet. The local community there got hit very hard by Dean. Their construction is very simple and doesn't do well. Hopefully Ernesto was mild enough that even these areas came out fine.

Back
Top Bottom