Trip Report - Why NOT Ambergris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibj40

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I first visited Belize about ten years ago and spent a week at Turneffe Flats Lodge doing three tank dive days (including the Blue Hole).

This trip, however, was not simply a dive-only trip. We spent the first night in Belize City at the Radisson, and the next morning headed out to Tikal, Guatemala to see that Mayan archeological site at both sunset and sunrise. Our accommodation was the Tikal Inn and sleeping in the jungle without electricity (power is only on from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.) and listening to all of the sounds of the jungle was surreal in a very positive way. On our way to Tikal, we stopped at the Belize Zoo and then on the way back from Guatemala, we stopped at the Xunantunich Mayan site.

From the rooftop of the Belize City Radisson

41215500544_99a7439c16.jpg

Jaguar at the Belize Zoo

41934211881_d17c3a9c52.jpg

Evening at Tikal

41464515565_e28c7946ae.jpg

Sunrise at Tikal

40126649890_0fff5b78ce.jpg

Hand Crank Ferry to Xunantunich

40126702780_c92dc870be.jpg

View of the Main Plaza at Xunantunich

41889921582_f450291f57.jpg

We took Tropic Air over and back to the Caye, which provided a wonderful informal tour of the shallow water body that separates the Caye from the mainland. The water was amazingly clear, and the weather was perfect for our entire visit.

40311879990_61ea7c7b26.jpg

We chose Paradise Villas condos, so that we could combine island dining with cooking with locally available products. We did suffer from low water pressure a couple of days, which seemed to be a mixture of the local supply, and some on-site manipulation by the condo maintenance staff, but we survived.

View from the condo grounds

41942033602_1a510b9390.jpg

The Diving

We chose Ecologic Divers, and clearly made a great choice. Office Manager Cat was a pleasure to deal with, and Divemaster Greg, and our Boat Captain Jonathon were a great crew.

We dove two days, the first day we were the only divers on a very clean, well maintained boat; the second day we were joined by an Australian who was on a quest to cycle around the world, and who just happened to be on the island and wanted to dive.

On the way out to the reef, each day, Greg provided one of the most thorough briefings I have ever experience in my over 30 years of diving, very informative with a little bit of island humor sprinkled in.

Our first dive was Tackle Box (95 feet, 65 minutes). As we broke through the slight chop that defined the inside and outside of the reef, he told us what wildlife we “might” encounter, suggesting that there might be the opportunity to see some sharks.

As we dropped down from the surface, sure enough, there circling at the bottom were two sharks. I thought to myself, wow, what luck!

42319071352_df491e4d8d.jpg

And from there, it only got better. Eventually we were joined by as many as five (might have been up to seven).

42319030602_2a6719b061.jpg

However, this only added to the incredibly healthy and heavily populated balance of the dive. I was impressed by not only the variety, but also the size of the fish.

41644694774_9b3f547045.jpg

27498491117_581605c224.jpg

41465565575_fec25a7c3e.jpg

Surface Interval was back at the Ecologic Divers dock, where we were treated to snacks and water (in little plastic packets, which I had never experienced – you bit through a corner, and squirted the water into your mouth).

Our second dive of the first day was San Pedro Canyons (62 feet, 67 minutes). Not as many sharks, but still some very healthy reef, with a nice tongue and groove structure.

Visibility on both dives was excellent.

For our second day of diving, we were scheduled to go to Hol Chan and then Shark/Ray Alley. We really had no interest in snorkeling with chummed wildlife, so asked Cat if there were a chance to do two tanks, in lieu of the dive/snorkel. Showed up bright and early on day two, and Cat said there was one other diver (the Aussie I referenced above), so we were off to Hol Chan.

First dive was outside of the reef, I think they called the site Hol Chan Deep (79 feet, 63 minutes), and some of the same healthy, well-populated, tongue and groove structure we had experienced the day before, with similar exceptional visibility.

42368887221_c3b82c0298.jpg

Near the end of the dive, a clearly amorous Loggerhead came toward our group, and singled out my wife for his attentions, to the point of actually trying to bite or nip at her tank. Greg had to shoo the turtle away, in fear that it might damage our gear.

40560992950_5d6330e3e0.jpg

Back on the boat, Jonathon had done a master chef’s job of butchering a pineapple, and it (along with more of the water packets) did the trick for some refreshment. We moored inside the reef for the second dive (Hol Chan Cut) among a dozen or so other boats filled with snorkelers.

42368811301_9d07aa8137.jpg

The dive through the Cut (28 feet, 56 minutes) proved to have the worst visibility of the four dives, but made for an intriguing dive nonetheless. Again, schools of fish were everywhere, although we didn’t see any of the big stuff that the Cut is supposed to be famous for.

42369249871_ed3d0b194f.jpg

41646262434_749e65fa07.jpg

40561606220_ee48076d95.jpg

Back at the dock, Greg and Jonathon (as they had done the day before) grabbed our gear and headed to the freshwater cleaning station on the dock, and had it laying out to dry so that we could come by later that afternoon and pack it up.

We were very surprised with the quality of the diving, not just the variety of marine life, but also the impressive underwater structure/reef formations.

The Island

Ambergris Caye is a busy island with a great variety of restaurants, bars, hardware stores, grocery stores, and fruit/vegetable stands. Swimming is mostly from docks, although there are some beaches to be found as well. The pervasive Sargasso invasion is very apparent right now, and made for the evening air to be tinged with a little bit of a rotting vegetation aroma.

Locals were friendly and helpful and there is apparently a large ex-pat community. Getting away from the town would likely allow for a somewhat slower-paced vacation feel and when we return we intend to rent a condo to the south. San Pedro town is quite walkable, one just needs to watch out for golf carts, which are everywhere. Walking on the lagoon side of town was scenic and much more peaceful.

Dining

Mesa – Small, charming breakfast/lunch establishment near the airport, run by a friendly ex-pat couple. Excellent coconut French toast. Not open on Sundays.

Island Torch – Right in the town center/square on the waterfront. Great people watching. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (I believe). We had an excellent breakfast there.

Wild Mangoes – Open air, in town on the waterfront. Belizian/seafood and several vegetarian and vegan options. My wife had zucchini noodles in a pesto that was excellent. Also, very large portions that allowed for leftovers for lunch the next day.

Hidden Treasure – Tucked away in a residential neighborhood south of the airport, this place is lovely. Open air and very elegant. Ambiance, service and drinks were outstanding. The food, however, was average. They provide complimentary round-trip transportation to and from hotels in town, which was much appreciated. The dining experience is worth having at least once. Reservations are recommended.

Pirates Pizza – Ordered a veggie pizza to go. Quite heavy on the cheese, which made leftovers pretty greasy. It wasn’t bad, just heavy.

Palapa Bar and Grill – Located over the water just across from our condo. Mostly bar-type food but great drinks and very friendly bartenders. We went here on our first night mostly due to convenience but enjoyed it.

Conclusion

When you love the Mayan heritage as much as we do, Belize, just like the Mexican Yucatan peninsula, becomes a natural destination. As I pointed out, my biggest concern was the quality of diving, and that issue has been resolved. We are now looking forward to our next visit to Ambergris.

42017999392_fb98807876.jpg

What a great trip report!

Glad you decided to see you head into the jungle in addition to scuba diving. As much as I love to dive, I also love to check out the mainland since Belize has so much to offer.

My wife and I went to Tikal for a day trip a few years ago. I remember thinking we should have arranged to spend the night there so we could see the sunset and sunrise.

How did you make the trip from AC? Did you use a tour operator or just go on your own? Did you spend any time in San Ignacio?

I was by myself when I went to Xunantunich, so I hired a guide to show me around. This guy was around 75 years old and walked with a cane. When we got to El Castillo, I figured he would probably wait at the bottom while I climbed it. Wrong. Instead, he went up (and down) like a mountain goat and could have easily left me behind. It started pouring just as we were approaching the top, so we huddled in that room right below the peak to wait it out. Incredible view and I believe it's the highest point in Belize. That ferry is a gas. I hope they never build a bridge.

Next time, you might think about heading south to the Toledo District. It's the poorest but most authentic area of Belize with lots to see and do. Plus, they really need the money. Or west to the Gallon Jug, Barry Bowen's estate.

Glad you had a good time!

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I had planned out a similar trip years ago with the family but never put it all together. Your report has me rethinking it. Would love to see tikal and combine it with some diving in Belize.

Very nice report! I often see Ambergris Caye mentioned on the forum, but not as many detailed trip reports, and it seemed to me put forth by others as a pretty good 'all around' trip with diving, easy access to mainland attractions, and variety for non-divers. But allegedly for the 'best' Belize diving, it was live-aboard or similar (Huracan?). I've wondered just how A.C. stacked up.

Speaking of which, with the 'non-diver accompanying' angle in mind:

Swimming is mostly from docks, although there are some beaches to be found as well.

Is there enough convenient beach access to keep beach lovers happy?

Richard.

Nice report! We did almost exactly the same trip as you a few years ago, including a night on the main coast on arrival and before leaving Belize, staying in a condo on Ambergris (Cocoa Beach, up north), visiting the same ruins and the zoo, and diving with the same dive op (we also did Hol Chan and Shark/Ray alley). We also did the cave tubing. It was a great trip.

Where we stayed was on a nice sandy beach. A bit of coral to walk over in the water, but not bad at all.
IMG_8296.JPG

One day we walked about a mile from our condo up to the Rojo Lounge for lunch and passed the house where John McAfee (the anti virus software guru) lived and also past his neighbor's house, complete with a barking dog. Allegedly McAfee killed his neighbor because of the dog. McAfee had just fled the island while we were there and it was a big news story, so that was an interesting venue to check out.
IMG_8177.JPG

A bit of coral to walk over in the water, but not bad at all.

Thanks for that detail; sounds like a little kid might ought to wear some foot protection? I'm not a beach person, but our little girl is, and she likes to go in & out from messing around in the sand to the water. I figure some divers will bring along a little kid.

Richard.

What a great trip report!
How did you make the trip from AC? Did you use a tour operator or just go on your own? Did you spend any time in San Ignacio?

We booked our Tikal trip through a tour company, turnkey. A guide picked us up at the Radisson, took us to the Zoo, and then drove us to San Ignacio (their headquarters) where we changed vehicles. A different driver (a Guatemalan) drove us to the border and processed us through. Along the way, we also picked up our Tikal guide who stayed with us for the sunset tour.

28062783838_17c6b5b04d.jpg

The next morning, he met us at the Inn and we did the sunrise tour, and departed for the border, where our first driver/guide met us, and lead the Xunantunich tour, and then took us to the Belize City Municipal Airport for our Tropic Air flight to Ambergris.

My wife researched the trip, and we looked at booking each activity individually, as well as booking the package. While the package was a little more expensive, the peace of mind knowing that everything was taken care of made it worth it.

Richard.

We walked all the way up north to the river that cuts through the Caye, and then back down the beach to just south of the airport. The Sargassum that is plaguing the entire Caribbean was very apparent on Ambergris, although there were individual efforts to clean it up evident. We understand that there are beaches further up on the north end of the Caye that are open, but in town, while some of the beaches looked swimmable, accessibility was limited.

Thanks, all, for your compliments!

We booked our Tikal trip through a tour company, turnkey. A guide picked us up at the Radisson, took us to the Zoo, and then drove us to San Ignacio (their headquarters) where we changed vehicles. A different driver (a Guatemalan) drove us to the border and processed us through. Along the way, we also picked up our Tikal guide who stayed with us for the sunset tour.

View attachment 461604

The next morning, he met us at the Inn and we did the sunrise tour, and departed for the border, where our first driver/guide met us, and lead the Xunantunich tour, and then took us to the Belize City Municipal Airport for our Tropic Air flight to Ambergris.

My wife researched the trip, and we looked at booking each activity individually, as well as booking the package. While the package was a little more expensive, the peace of mind knowing that everything was taken care of made it worth it.

Thanks, all, for your compliments!

I think the extra expense of a tour company is well worth every penny on a trip like this. A good tour guide can deliver way more information than you would get on your own. And you leave the hassle of transport up to them.

That was really an outstanding trip report, Jim. Now you've got me all jazzed up for my trip, lol. Only four days to go!

Worked as a marine biologist/underwater videographer on Lindblad Expeditions eco-cruises between Belize City and Utila, Honduras. After a month on board I spent an additional week with Belize Diving Services on Caye Caulker filming a promo for the owners. I also led hikes into the Jaguar Reserve (Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary near Dangriga). We heard jaguars and saw paw prints but never encountered one. I also kept an eye out for a Jaguar XKE but didn't see any of those either.

Years ago we booked a reasonably priced overnight round trip by bus through an agent on Ambergris Cay. We had to walk across the Guatemalan border to change busses and go through Guatemalan Immigration, which consisted of a hot room filled with a dozen officers pounding away at manual typewriters and dressed like Barney Fife. Our first sight of Guatemala was a giant billboard depicting a Gorilla in fatigues and helmet, holding an assault rifle, with text welcoming us to Guatemala.

I imagine low cost bus packages are still available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom