Kaboom, or why I replace hoses after five years even if they look great.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 identical Tusa pressure gauges, purchased roughly 2 years apart (for 2 reg sets). They are identical except for the HP hose included from the factory. The older gauge/hose is approximately 5.5 years old, the other is 3.5.

About 2 months ago I took the newer reg set with the newer of the 2 gauges and put it on my tank at home to check the IP of the first stage. The end of the HP hose, where it goes into the gauge, as I turned on the tank, started ballooning, and went pop with a nice explosion before I could completely turn off the tank. Right where the hose goes into the crimp fitting which then screws into the gauge.

What surprised me is that this failure was to was the youngest of the two identical gauges, with the younger hose. Upon closer inspection, the older(still good) hose on the older gauge, was better constructed, with better quality metal fittings on the end of the hose, and had 'MADE IN USA' printed on it in addition to the other info normally found on the hose. (I don't live in the USA, just an observation as to where the hose was made)

The second (newer, failed) hose, was not proud enough to broadcast, in printed letters, it's country of manufacture. The metal fittings did not look to be as good a quality.

My initial take on this, is the cheaper looking hose, in my case, failed first, in spite of being 2 years newer. The other thing that interests me is why (or the reason why) the manufacturer, at the time, changed hose suppliers....

(The hose looked perfectly fine and in good condition before it burst, there was no indication from the outside anything was about to give...)

@aoumi
Just speculation, no inside knowledge:

TUSA is a Japanese company, Tabatta USA. So I am maybe surprised they used a made in USA hose in the first place, assuming there were lower cost alternatives closer to home.
But in global supply chains, reasons could include:
  1. Multiple parts sourcing options, depending on current price and availability.
  2. Multiple manufacturing or assembly locations, and you received units from two different locations.
  3. US manufacturer closed or moved production off shore.
  4. SPG itself may be a contracted item from neither Japan or the US, and hose selection was in the hands of the OEM.

Very interesting. I guess miflex isn't so far out on a limb with their 5 year replacement recommendation after all.

I also replace my hoses at 5 years, but I started doing it because the manufacturer's documentation told me to.

I have 2 identical Tusa pressure gauges, purchased roughly 2 years apart (for 2 reg sets). They are identical except for the HP hose included from the factory. The older gauge/hose is approximately 5.5 years old, the other is 3.5.

About 2 months ago I took the newer reg set with the newer of the 2 gauges and put it on my tank at home to check the IP of the first stage. The end of the HP hose, where it goes into the gauge, as I turned on the tank, started ballooning, and went pop with a nice explosion before I could completely turn off the tank. Right where the hose goes into the crimp fitting which then screws into the gauge.

What surprised me is that this failure was to was the youngest of the two identical gauges, with the younger hose. Upon closer inspection, the older(still good) hose on the older gauge, was better constructed, with better quality metal fittings on the end of the hose, and had 'MADE IN USA' printed on it in addition to the other info normally found on the hose. (I don't live in the USA, just an observation as to where the hose was made)

The second (newer, failed) hose, was not proud enough to broadcast, in printed letters, it's country of manufacture. The metal fittings did not look to be as good a quality.

My initial take on this, is the cheaper looking hose, in my case, failed first, in spite of being 2 years newer. The other thing that interests me is why (or the reason why) the manufacturer, at the time, changed hose suppliers....

(The hose looked perfectly fine and in good condition before it burst, there was no indication from the outside anything was about to give...)

They changed hose suppliers to the new lowest bidder (likely Chinese) because their profit margin takes precedence over your safety.

Back
Top Bottom