Just ordered new tanks - anything to note?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a lot of gas. At 100 ft, that would be a RMV of around 1.5 cubic feet/minute, I would imagine you were shallower than that.

Yeah, between 40-60' - But we're talking about a woman who only did ballet her whole life, no sports. She even admits there is some degree of nervousness and excitement when she dives right now.

Took her to a pool last month to help her with buoyancy and becoming more calm with her gas, granted not very deep, she started off hogging air and gradually got better, but under absolutely controlled conditions, so we're working on it, step-by-step.

Yeah, between 40-60' - But we're talking about a woman who only did ballet her whole life, no sports. She even admits there is some degree of nervousness and excitement when she dives right now.

Took her to a pool last month to help her with buoyancy and becoming more calm with her gas, granted not very deep, she started off hogging air and gradually got better, but under absolutely controlled conditions, so we're working on it, step-by-step.
Hi @iyakonboats

That would be a RMV above 2 cu ft/min, pretty high. I would imagine it will improve significantly as her buoyancy, trim, propulsion, and relaxation all improve. Is your gas consumption considerately better than hers? As you both become more experienced, it might help you to periodically follow your RMV/gas consumption. It could give you feedback regarding the changes you have made and the improvement you have accomplished. If you use AI computers, they will generally calculate SAC and/or RMV. It is also quite easy to find RMV calculators online

Average Gas Consumption

Best of luck in your diving future :)

A gas consumption rate of that magnitude (for the duration of a dive) for a small person who is not engaged in strenuous activity, is actually hard to believe is correct.

One thing though is that a lot of people starting out (myself included) motor about/kick more than they need to. I couldn’t guess how much gas I blew early on because I pretty much treated getting from point A to point B as being some kind of race.

Starting out...there’s also more of a tendency to fidget about with buoyancy by regularly adding and dumping gas from your BC/wing. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of her issue.

I have to admit that I’m impressed that someone that’s 5’2” manages to go through gas quicker than I ever managed to.:D

She’ll get better with practice. Ex. I know that in my case... the newness and excitement (breathing rate) driven gas consumption slowed down a good amount after ~20 dives.

A gas consumption rate of that magnitude (for the duration of a dive) for a small person who is not engaged in strenuous activity, is actually hard to believe is correct.
At an avg depth of 50 ft, the calculated RMV is about 2.4 cu ft / min. It is very hard to imagine maintaining this rate, 6-7 times my avg RMV. A rate like this is up with the highest rates in standard ANSTI regulator testing, Latest ScubaLabs reg test - huh?

One thing though is that a lot of people starting out (myself included) motor about/kick more than they need to. I couldn’t guess how much gas I blew early on because I pretty much treated getting from point A to point B as being some kind of race.

Starting out...there’s also more of a tendency to fidget about with buoyancy by regularly adding and dumping gas from your BC/wing. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of her issue.

I have to admit that I’m impressed that someone that’s 5’2” manages to go through gas quicker than I ever managed to.:D

She’ll get better with practice. Ex. I know that in my case... the newness and excitement (breathing rate) driven gas consumption slowed down a good amount after ~20 dives.

You hit the nail on the head, she overexerts, uses her gas to adjust her buoyancy too much, IMO, and she is generally very over excited, videos of her under water reveal she breathes like a pissed off dragon

"get the cold dipped galvanized tanks"

Hot dipped.

Strangely, two of them are hot dipped, and the other four are the coated, all based on availability and delivery estimates, I forgot to note.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom