Will my regulator work this with tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never seen double valves. interesting. so it's a backup if one is stuck/damaged? Not sure if I'd want to dive with a valve that is having issues and using a backup piece from the start.

Your regulator will work just fine. I don't know if they supply it with an insert, but you can always buy one afterwards for very little money:

View attachment 795674

Yokes are rated mostly to 232bar, that what you see on your first stage. This cylinder is rated for 232bar in the European sector, not sure what they rate them to in the states. I have to assume that the giving 3442 psi is correct. It is not uncommon for cylinders to be rated to different pressures in different markets, this has to do with standards that the manufacturer has to adhere to, rather than any real technical reasons.
Even if pumped to 3442 psi, your yoke will do just fine.

I want to give a word of caution about the San-O-Sub BlueSteel valve that is on there. I have had hundreds of these in the shop over the years and they are one of my least favorite valves. For private use they are just fine, but in a rough dive centre environment they tend to not forgive the bangs and bashes all too well.

Thank you for this.

I will keep that in mind. I do tend to care for my stuff and this will be personally owned by me (my regulator, mask and all gear 20 years old and still work great), so I think it'll be fine, even though I would much prefer a XS, but they will cost more from what I have found (with shipping and taxes, etc).

Perhaps eventually I can upgrade the valve if I have a problem.

Never seen double valves. interesting. so it's a backup if one is stuck/damaged? Not sure if I'd want to dive with a valve that is having issues and using a backup piece from the start.
That is the basic approach to redundancy. Something fails, but it is doubled, so you use the other one!
I understand that, in the view of some agencies, the idea of having a backup is considered only at technical level.
Here in Europe, where traditionally recreational divers go deep and with deco, using redundant equipment is the norm.
That is, two fully independent regs, with two first stages, one for each valve. Someone also adds a BCD inflator such as Scubapro Air2, for getting a third air source.
When working as DM-Instructor, instead, I was adding an octopus with long yellow hose on my wrong side (left) so it is handy to be donated to out-of-air customers...
Someone else, as the instructor who taught me, named Fabio, added a pony tank in the middle of his twin tanks, so he had a total of 3 valves and 3 complete regulators...
And in this approach you do not thumb the dive at the first failure: redundant equipment is used exactly for not having to do that...

Not sure if I'd want to dive with a valve that is having issues and using a backup piece from the start.

Y-Valves and most H-Valves are two completely independent air sources, sans the dip tube, which is nearly always shared, except in Angelo's example. If one side should be broken because of a sheared spindle or broken handwheel, using the other side is akin to changing to a different cylinder.

I am in Libya, import duty is of no concern here.
Despite Angelos advise to go with a dual valve like a Y-Valve or H-Valve, I would advise against this, unless it's the norm in your region or challenging dives call for it. I'm well aware of the upsides of a dual setup and it is for all intents and purposes the better, safer setup.

That being said, I know that economics must be factored in in a business setup and there these dual valves fare just worse. The initial cost is usually higher and the upkeep costs can be nearly twice as high, as "two" valve systems per cylinder have to be maintained. A mono valve is good enough and safe enough for most "regular" dive shops.

Having worked in Africa for 9 years, I found that importing from Europe is usually considerably cheaper than the US, as freight costs are much cheaper.
I would suggest one of these two for your situation:

Lavo
Lavo Valve.png

Sold under plenty of different brand names, you can find these here or here. DirZone (150€ minimum order) will very likely have the much better price, so I would contact them for bulk. DirZone can easily source spare parts, otherwise MetalSub is an excellent choice for spare parts for these valves. Make sure you specify that these are for export, as that will mean no VAT costs.

M.D.E.
MDE Valve.png

The Midland diving Equipment mono valve can be found here. I'm not entirely sure where else to source these, but I'm sure buying a box of 21 or so of them should be no problem. Contact Mark or Adam at MDE.

The Lavo is a great valve with good performance, but if you offer Nitrox it may be a pain in the ass as explained before. Spare parts are very cheap and available from many different whole sellers.
The MDE is probably the sturdier of the two, except the handwheel. Should you go for the MDE, order a handfull of handwheels, as these will disintegrate after a couple of years of service, especially when left in the sun for prolonged times. Spare parts can be purchased directly from MDE, but unfrotunately only as complete kits, not single parts.

Should you not mind the freight costs for a Thermo valve from the US, they are an excellent choice as well. Spare parts for these can be bought from either MetalSub or DirZone in Europe for a good price. I do not know where to buy a M25x2 Thermo for a reasonable price, you would have to check that out. A reliable, albeit rather pricey freight forwarder from the US is Shipito.

I have not seen the seats sold seperatly, not even from MDE directly. Would you have a contact or place where to look for these?
I can order those seats, valves or Service Kits in the US from Diversco, but I would have to import it here to Europe and send it from here, so that probably doesn't make it as cheap as if you find a source directly in the US.
If you want more Info, please PM me.

That would be the thrust washer, which can be bought in tons of places, yes.

The MDE/Genesis seat is something different.

That is very different looking on an MDE, it's not this standard sized washers. It is much much thinner and much wider in diameter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom