Just ordered new tanks - anything to note?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharpie your name on the neck of the tank.

Maybe consider putting one of the big obnoxious Nitrox stickers on each tank. People hate them in South Florida (people commented on mine everywhere I went). Probably about as good a security measure as a manual transmission in a car or truck.:D
Why do they hate them in SF? Around here no one will put anything other than 21% in a tank unless it has a sticker on it.

Why do they hate them in SF? Around here no one will put anything other than 21% in a tank unless it has a sticker on it.

Because they aren't needed. I know what is in my tank from my analysis sticker. In fact I test it the day of the dive.

To properly visually inspect the tank each year they need to be removed.

The answers above and they’re an eyesore. In my area though, if you want a Nitrox fill...a lot of shops require them. That’s not the case down there though.

Because they aren't needed. I know what is in my tank from my analysis sticker. In fact I test it the day of the dive.
I thought that it was self-attestation that the tank/valve are O2 ready but maybe it's more of an honor system? Are you able to get >21% fills just by telling the dive shop/blender that your tank is clean where you are?

I thought that it was self-attestation that the tank/valve are O2 ready but maybe it's more of an honor system? Are you able to get >21% fills just by telling the dive shop/blender that your tank is clean where you are?

Your visual sticker should indicate if a tank is O2 cleaned. Besides you don't need an O2 cleaned tank to get nitrox. Around here it is banked, either 32% or 36%.

Pretty much every new complete cylinder that I’ve seen is delivered with a valve that allows the tank to be filled with up to 40% oxygen (EAN40). A diver should be able to take that tank with their Nitrox card and get it filled with Nitrox.

The problem that some people (ex. Myself) run into is that local shops do not have enough demand for Nitrox for them to justify banking it. Ex. 30%, 32%, 36%, etc.

To get a Nitrox fill, the cylinder must be partial pressure blended with gas that contains greater than 40% oxygen, necessitating the tank be “oxygen cleaned” and marked for O2 service.

None of that explains the requirement that some shops have for the big obnoxious Nitrox sticker though.

Your visual sticker should indicate if a tank is O2 cleaned. Besides you don't need an O2 cleaned tank to get nitrox. Around here it is banked, either 32% or 36%.
Okay thanks for clarifying. Appreciate it....now that I look closely at my vis sticker I see that it is clearly indicated as 02 clean.

Pretty much every new complete cylinder that I’ve seen is delivered with a valve that allows the tank to be filled with up to 40% oxygen (EAN40). A diver should be able to take that tank with their Nitrox card and get it filled with Nitrox.

The problem that some people (ex. Myself) run into is that local shops do not have enough demand for Nitrox for them to justify banking it. Ex. 30%, 32%, 36%, etc.

To get a Nitrox fill, the cylinder must be partial pressure blended with gas that contains greater than 40% oxygen, necessitating the tank be “oxygen cleaned” and marked for O2 service.

None of that explains the requirement that some shops have for the big obnoxious Nitrox sticker though.
Ah...yes that makes sense and I think that's also the case for my LDS.

Back
Top Bottom