Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday, I was diving with PV on the deep boat. They radioed the other boat which was planning to dive in Breakers, and the captain reported 5ft of visibility.

Sunday I was at the bridge and around 10am, there were a handful of dive boats returning to the marinas.

I went out with JDC. Didn’t hit the wrecks for Goliath because we heard viz was less than 10 feet. Tried to find better water south to no avail. Green water all along the reef. No blue water to be found. We dove Captain Mike’s and Area 51. 10-20 of viz. South/southwest current. 81 degrees. Saw one Goliath on Area 51. Capt. Ryan did his best to find us good water but it just wasn’t out there.
Can anyone speak to the grouper agg dives as far as actually seeing grouper? Went out last weekend and saw 3 or 4 but nothing like the 30-40 "stacked up" at any site that I expected. It was my first aggregation trip and I did overhear dive op cap and a regular discussing how they seemed to not be in the area this year....that it was still "too hot" or something? We dove the corridor in west palm and also dove in jupiter at the bonaire....saw at most 4-5...and not approachable really. Is that typical or am I missing something? This was booked as a "grouper agg" dive. Not blaming the dive op just wondering if I should try again somewhere else or if this year is abnormal...?

Can anyone speak to the grouper agg dives as far as actually seeing grouper? Went out last weekend and saw 3 or 4 but nothing like the 30-40 "stacked up" at any site that I expected. It was my first aggregation trip and I did overhear dive op cap and a regular discussing how they seemed to not be in the area this year....that it was still "too hot" or something? We dove the corridor in west palm and also dove in jupiter at the bonaire....saw at most 4-5...and not approachable really. Is that typical or am I missing something? This was booked as a "grouper agg" dive. Not blaming the dive op just wondering if I should try again somewhere else or if this year is abnormal...?
They are around this year. Some days they have seen upwards of 30 on the wreck trek. Other days only a couple. They move around and will typically only stack up around structure when the current is moving. In low current days you’ll have less of a chance seeing them in numbers. The aggregation also follows the moon cycle with the best opportunities around the full moon (which is this coming Tuesday).

Like all wild life sightings, they are somewhat unpredictable, but there have been several good aggregation sightings this season.

They are around this year. Some days they have seen upwards of 30 on the wreck trek. Other days only a couple. They move around and will typically only stack up around structure when the current is moving. In low current days you’ll have less of a chance seeing them in numbers. The aggregation also follows the moon cycle with the best opportunities around the full moon (which is this coming Tuesday).

Like all wild life sightings, they are somewhat unpredictable, but there have been several good aggregation sightings this season.

Ok well, good to know. Maybe the situation just wasn't right. I was under the impression they were just there for a month or two and then gone, I didn't know it was that variable by the day. So basically go every weekend lol. 🤙🤙🤙

They move around and will typically only stack up around structure when the current is moving.
but nothing like the 30-40 "stacked up" at any site that I expected. It was my first aggregation trip

@CosbySweater Provided excellent advice. When it is slow current they will be spread out on the nearby reefs like the Tunnels site and the Hole-in-the-wall site. If you have a good captain, he'll be calling the other captains to get scouting reports of where they are. Today we saw them on the reefs and it was a slow current day.

If you are on a wreck and don't see them,,, kick hard into the light current and get 300ft directly infront of the wreck. They will usually be out there with the females who want to get away from the commotion.

I've done 2 GG trips, and both have been disappointing in terms of seeing GG's. The first trip, vis was low, no GG to be seen. 2 weeks ago, I saw 4 on the Ana C and none from there to the bow of the Amarylis. I'm going to try again this Saturday.

Did the 3 tank charter with Jupiter Dive Center this morning. We had Captain Phil and the crew included Matt and Ryan. Topside conditions were almost flat, water temps are 85F. But the crappy green viz is back. Current is nonexistent to a trickle south. We had 10 to 20 foot of visibility on all three dives. We did Capt Kirle’s, the wreck trek from Miss Jenny south to the Zion Train. We didn’t do the Esso Bonaire because there was a shark feeding charter on it. And then we wrapped up with Bonnie’s north to south.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom