Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Republic 7 for first time. Shelby and Helen crewed. Great experience.

Sea turtles, grouper, sharks.

Unfortunately, tomorrow and Sunday cancelled due to impending weather.

Hopefully we can go out again Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5361.jpeg
    IMG_5361.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5360.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5359.jpeg
    IMG_5359.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 43
, sharks.
Nice Hammerhead sighting! With 50ft viz, 78 temps & normal currents, that's a great day. Lk Okee is still WAY DOWN at only 12ft so they won't be doing any storm releases to mess up the viz on the bottom after the fresh water top layer. Thank you for posting the dive report !!

Nice Hammerhead sighting! With 50ft viz, 78 temps & normal currents, that's a great day. Lk Okee is still WAY DOWN at only 12ft so they won't be doing any storm releases to mess up the viz on the bottom after the fresh water top layer. Thank you for posting the dive report !!

I’m used to site maps as part of the briefing. The white board Shelby filled out is a really neat idea; never seen that before. Quick pic and it helps fill out log files.

Just 10 mins north of BHB is great market that many licensed harvesters bring just caught seafood to. They have both a retail store & cafe too. The store sells 'ready to cook/reheat' dishes in their walkup cooler cases and one of them when in-season is lobster fritters. Depending on how busy they are, they can also make them for you while you wait via the cafe. Price is seasonal but generally reasonable. Their entire premade selections are very good and many times I'll grab a premade dish and bring it back to my hotel room to micro heat. It's a busy place for locals.

Cod & Caper's in North Palm Beach

Just had dinner at Cod & Caper’s; without your post probably wouldn’t have heard/thought of it. Excellent food and service.

Dived MG-111 and Warrior Reef this morning out of Jupiter. Visibility was very nice until two photographers went into dredging mode right next to each other while trying to film a really large ray. It was rather obscene - absolutely zero effort to control their buoyancy and the current kept them kicking to stay in position for photos. Nevermind there was something to hide behind right next to them that would’ve allowed them to get their shot. The current was completely ripping along so anybody downstream was treated to a brownout.

I counted 16 goliath groupers at Warrior Reef (merely meters north of MG-111). I was on my scooter and able to get around while everybody else was clinging to or hiding behind something to survive the current. Once you let go, you’d get blown off like a tumbleweed.

Second dive was Monkey’s Ledge. I hadn’t dived this before and the terrain had nice contour to it so it was a nice treat. We saw a turtle swim like a rocket perpendicular to our path of drift. I’m not sure what inspired it but I’ve never seen a turtle swim that fast.

Good visibility. Temperature was brisk at the bottom (24* C / 76* F). Current was strong again but there was a lot more terrain to hide behind than the morning dive. One lone nurse shark - also sprinting.

Went out this morning with Jupiter Dive Center. I was on the Republic IV with Capt. Ryan and mates Helen and Sophia. It started out cloudy and low 80s air temp leaving the dock but once out of the inlet it opened up to partly cloudy. Winds were calm and seas were 2-3'.

We attempted to do the Wreck Trek but after Sophia did a bounce dive to check conditions (due to yesterday's ground swell from Hurricane Ernesto) we changed plans. She said conditions were 5-10' viz MAX at depth. We ended up doing Loggerhead instead. I was surprised to find a decent "dirty 30" feet of viz, 81 F and a mild current. I had a great solo dive. After the first couple of minutes I didn't see another diver the entire dive! Saw three GG, two small sharks, countless yellowheaded jawfish, and large schools and of snapper, spadefish and jack. I also had a couple of tiny fish swimming less than 1" long circling me and my SMB and hiding up close to me once I surfaced before I was picked up. There was also a juvenile amberjack about 6-9" long also hanging around and trying to catch them. It was pretty cool! Lots of moon jellies as well.

Second dive we did the MG111 and found again a "dirty 30" foot of viz, 80 F and again a mild current. While the GG were spread out a bit, was able to find around 20 between the wreck and the pillars just to the north. There were more constant moon jellies riding the current at depth, and large ones! I think I got some video of one with the little fish that hide in them. Looking forward to reviewing my video footage.

A great day of diving! Back tomorrow morning for another trip with JDC.

A great day of diving!
The sailboat boat forecast says the gulf stream will be getting stronger each day which should clean up the viz. Glad the GG's are gathering up. We're diving Tues since the bug report has been strong. Thanks for the report !!

Went out with JDC again today in Republic IV with Capt Ryan and mates Ryan, Sophia, and Nathan. It was a sunny, calm, beautiful day. Seas were flat.

MG111 was first up. Zero current, thermocline at 50’ dropping from 84 to 79 F. 15-20’ viz. Because of the low visibility and zero current, the goliath grouper were spread out all over the place and not really grouped up. Lots of schooling fish & the predators they draw in. I spent most of the dive enjoying watching that action.

Scarface was second but in reverse. There was a trickle of a South current so we ended up going south from High Ledge down through the southern part of Scarface. I spent most of my dive up on the ledge because it was warmer! Enjoyed lots of tropical fish watching. Temps & visibility were similar to dive 1.

... Zero current, thermocline at 50’ dropping from 84 to 79 F. 15-20’ viz. Because of the low visibility and zero current,....
Thank you for the report !! The deep ledge was reporting 72 degrees and it's really pushing the sea life up to the shallows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom