I've had it with wireless air integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like a lot of justifying going on for using something that does not reliably work and still has to be backed up by something that always works.

N

That misses the point for some of us. There is no need to "justify" it, like is some sort of naughty thing that we should be ashamed of. It is a super convenience and learning tool, not a substitute for redundancy. I dive a hogarthian set-up and will never give up my spg. But, I do not want a bulky console computer attachd to my HP hose because I prefer wrist mount. Thus, wireless is the way to go, for me. I recently got a Galileo Sol. Comparing the computer to the spg it seems the computer is accurate (or at least matches the spg) at all pressures. I have not had any noticeable signal drop outs yet.

The gas consumption info in the log book is showing me a lot about how to plan dives based on "real world" consumption under a variety of conditions. I believe this tool will help me improve my diving.

I also have to say, I am getting spoiled by having a big compass, gas info, and dive info, all on one wrist screen during my dives, and I have the confidence of complete redundancy so I will never "lose" a dive if the signal is lost.

For the OP: some people attache the transmitter to a short (6") HP hose and then secure it to a shoulder strap so that the transmitter is on top of or in front of their shoulder, and more in direct line with the computer. Maybe that would help, or moving the transmitter to the other side of your reg. Try experimenting before you give up.

Just had a silly thought...

If the position of the transmitter and the wrist mounted watch can be interfered with, I wonder what would happen if the transmitter were mounted on a short hose and velcro/strap/clipped to the front shoulder of the BCD?

This moves the transmitter closer, and removes your body and tank from getting between you and the signal.

Havent tried it, because we havent needed to. But for those that do like the hoseless integrated computer (pick me) AND are having connectivity problems, I wonder if this would work?

Just had a silly thought...

If the position of the transmitter and the wrist mounted watch can be interfered with, I wonder what would happen if the transmitter were mounted on a short hose and velcro/strap/clipped to the front shoulder of the BCD?

This moves the transmitter closer, and removes your body and tank from getting between you and the signal.

Havent tried it, because we havent needed to. But for those that do like the hoseless integrated computer (pick me) AND are having connectivity problems, I wonder if this would work?

Maybe you could clip it to your left shoulder D-ring.:depressed:

I don't have the SPG attached and I use the transmitter. I have a backup computer in case of a failure of the primary computer. If the transmitter fails (which it never has, at least so far) I will abort the dive, put the SPG that is in my dive bag on and live to dive the next dive. I am willing to take that risk.

Ok, can't resist. It's Hoseless not Wireless. I do hate most things wireless.

I can't resist either.

Not sure why you think that it's not wireless?

It is BOTH wireless and hoseless. There is a wireless transmitter which is connected to your first stage which transmits wireless data to a wireless receiver on your wrist. That wireless data is processed by the wireless computer and displayed for your your edification. Should the wireless transmission not be received by the wireless receiver, there is a problem and also the gist of this string of endless posts. :wink:

I have this configuration on my tech rig ( as well as an SPG) the hose for the sender is over the right shoulder harness and kept in place by a elastic band. It is not dangling, you cannot grab it instead of a tank valve (It would stupid to do so) so it cannot be broken off via that sort of carelessness.

My experience with this idea behind hoseless vs. spg, etc. is this: I have been diving the same computers since 2006. I have had one signal failure, due to improper maintenance ( failure to change a battery.USER ERROR) I have never had a computer fail on a dive. I have had four SPG's fail at various times. A Hog, a Hollis, a Highland and an OMS. I think Thye were all made in the same factory in Italy. Stuff breaks.It happens. I just don't seem to have the gear failure rate that seems to permeate on these boards.

Just had a silly thought..

Poster_4: I wouldn't do X or Y, they're completely wrong, I would do Z

Pshh. X and Y are never the right answer.

For some people, option 1 or 2 are good. Others may choose C.

Also cats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom