I've had it with wireless air integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Hollis DG03 with a Tx. Buddy has the same. Never had any issues, but we both have tethered analog SPGs at all times anyway. For us it's not so much about one less hose as it is about the information we get from the computer that we can use to make ourselves better divers.

Awareness of changing levels of physical activity, of depth, and of other variables, together with careful and frequent monitoring of my SPG tells me a great deal. Simply doing these things have made me a better, safer diver.

I hope I don't get flamed for asking a stupid question but here goes...Why is everyone so concerned about a backup to their wireless, air integrated computer? Worst case scenario is it dies during your dive. It's no different than any other electronic, air integrated computer. Assuming you are diving within recreational dive limits and aren't pushing your air supply below a safe level, why would you really care? Just end your dive and return to the surface. Surely you aren't so reliant on an ascent meter or a safety stop timer that you can't safely make it to the surface? I realize cutting your dive short is a PITA, but for the few times you may have an issue (not 1 in 10 years + of diving wireless, air integrated for me), it doesn't seem there is enough of a reason to carry a SPG and defeat the benefits of the hoseless computer. Just curious what the concern is.

Don't want to lose a single dive let alone a series of dive on a dive vacation.

If i got more into some technical diving, I would probably have a wired backup

If you got into technical diving, I'm pretty sure that you would not be doing wireless AI at all If you lose connectivity, it's a lot more serious than on a rec dive. (Hint: you can't just ascend).

Mine occasionally loses signal during a dive. Never for more than a second or two. I wouldn't even notice except the computer beeps to warn me. It's a little annoying but I've never had to thumb or skip a dive due to the hoseless.

The log doesn't indicate that signal was lost when I download and analyze things later.

Mine's a uwatec Galileo Luna. Liquidvision claims to have solved transmission problems like this on their lynx.

What computer are you using?

For open water diving, I use the hoseless integration and an air2 octo. Having only two hoses on my first stage is really nice. Or.. that should be past tense I guess. Now I'm diving sidemount with regular gauges.
I have the Sol, which is similar to the Luna. When you look at the dive log in SmartTrak scroll over the log and look at the representation of the computer in the right upper corner. There you will see the alarm message displayed in the computer.

Awareness of changing levels of physical activity, of depth, and of other variables, together with careful and frequent monitoring of my SPG tells me a great deal. Simply doing these things have made me a better, safer diver.

Couldn't agree more. For those who are serious about improving their diving, this data is priceless.

Seems like a lot of justifying going on for using something that does not reliably work and still has to be backed up by something that always works.

N

Ok, can't resist. It's Hoseless not Wireless. I do hate most things wireless.

My opinion:
- As some have said, if you like hoseless go for it, if it fails call the dive, you will be fine, if you can't live with that go SPG or back it up with an SPG, or don't. I like my hoseless for several of the previously stated reasons, never had a failure with one in approx 6 years using one, when I do use it.
- I almost think the failure of the spg for Tech diving would present even less of a hazard (unless a leak, which can happen to both types). Tech divers are following a plan including gas calcs and don't do much starring at the spg.
- I have had one spg failure, complete lockup, but it was one of those cheap button types on a stage.
- I will never use a transmitter in caves or wrecks due to the potential of breaking it completely off the first stage.
- I will never use a transmitter on charter trips where the topside crew insists you take your tank off to board and conforms to using the transmitter as a lift handle.
- I have had one complete computer failure at depth, it was a rec dive ndl so turn and burn no big deal, if it were a tech dive no biggie, either backup computer or BT and run schedule on the wrist.

To each his own :)

Add 2 (two) Oceanic VT4s to the "they do ok" list. Ours will drop signal, but its clearly when our transmitter signal can't penetrated our bodies - ie hands in the beltbuckle position...do anything else, no signal loss...

Some people may be more dense than others :rofl3:

Generic scubaboard thread:

OP: Should I do X or Y?

Poster_1: Do X

Poster_2: Do Y

Poster_3: You can do either X or Y, just do whatever works best for you.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom