I've had it with wireless air integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Explode! Good heavens. That must have been quite a sight. Did the hose start thrashing like a free-basing serpent?

I assume that sort of thing is much less likely to happen with A/I computers because their air pressure sensors are far more robust than those found in an analog SPG.

Sarcasm duly noted. Nothing so dramatic, sound of a loud pop, like a gun shot, and glass cover flew across the boat. It was fortunate diver was not looking directly at it. I am trying to get grips on what a free-basing serpent looks like, is this a spinoff of Breaking Bad?

Explode! Good heavens. That must have been quite a sight. Did the hose start thrashing like a free-basing serpent?

I assume you meant to say "thrashing [about] like a free-basing serpent."

For the OP what have been the previous issues with the transmitter? Has the mfg repaired it or replaced it. I once had a computer with an issue that they fixed. It worked briefly before I had another issue. At that point I asked them to send me a new unit which they did.

For the record, my first wireless Suunto worked great. Only a couple of times did it not pair correctly. A second computer also a Suunto seemed to want to paired with a new code every couple of days. Because my diving has gone a different direction I use a different computer. However, I will admit I sure like knowing my SAC. I am too lazy to record it after a dive using just an SPG.

I assume you meant to say "thrashing [about] like a free-basing serpent."

Thrashing [wildly] [ violently] [furiously] like a free- basing serpent.

or

Like a coach whip lashed by a frenzied demon.

I guess that my expectations are horribly biased by two things:

1. My one disconnection event underwater

and

2. My usual frustration with hooking up WIFI or Bluetooth to new devices. Yes, it mostly works quite well but there are still incidents now and again that seem to reinforce old notions of unreliable wireless connectivity. Couple (ha ha) that with the fact that an SPG is probably much more important to me than listening to music from my iPhone on my Ford Sync (aaargh) and I suppose that I'm just not ready to replace my HP Miflex hose.

Preach it, brother. My Vyper air is very unreliable. Maybe that's because I don't re-sync it every time, but even when I do I have had problems during the dive, especially when using strobes at night, for some reason.

Despite the high incidence of cancer in lab rats that use wireless AI, I really like using it!:D
I've had hundreds of dives with the original Vytec and then switched to a Vyper Air using the same old transmitter from the Vytec and have not had any issues.

I do not shoot with strobes, but I can see how those could cause interference momentarily, but not causing it to outright fail.
I volunteer to test out your gear and report back here, just ship it down to Florida.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a pack rat and almost never throw anything away that is working, or even fixable. I still have my very first SPG, a black-face Scubapro I bought in 1974. It still works fine, and is as accurate as any of my newer SPGs. This 40 year old SPG does not measure air pressure high enough for the equipment I usually use these days, but I did use it last year with an aluminum 50 cf tank, an old Mark V, no BC, a 1mm suit, line cutters, and 6 1lb lead bullet weights on a weight belt that has turned a lovely shade of green. Just playing around inside Barnegat Inlet, watching all the Butterfly fishes and counting seahorses. 14 on the remains of one sunken rowboat. Great fun to watch them hunt like tiny feline predators, flat to the substrate, moving into the strong current, separately focusing eyes twirling in their heads.

I can't understand people who complain about being cold in such warm water. 1mm of neoprene over a lycra skin is enough for me when local waters reach the mid 70s. When I was a kid I dived in this reasonably warm NJ water with just a bathing suit. Takes a few minutes and you get used to it. The old Scubapro SPG performed like the thoroughbred it is. Its biggest drawback are the countless scratches that make it a little tricky to read. When I compare its readings to current high end stuff it's right on the money. It will be a cold day in hell before I rely on a breathing gas pressure reading device that's powered by a battery.

Hubby and I have been diving with Sherwood Amphos AI computer/transmitters and SPGs as backup. I have about 35 dives on the Amphos and it works well, thus far. I would be nervous diving without the backup though, just in case ... I, too, have not had fabulous success with devices that "talk to" other devices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom