I've had it with wireless air integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why the problems with the wireless AI?
Sending unit too far from the gauge? Density of water?...or something else?

Is the situation better if the computer is closer to the sending unit like with one of those Oceanic Data Masks?

I've been using Uwatec (ScubaPro) for years.

Only issue I've had was as the transmitter battery got weak, I would have an occasional "no contact" signal when I was wearing a single. Wearing sidemount doubles, their has never been a signal loss.

I like it for additional data integration when I look at my log. It's conveniently located on my wrist.

I have SPGs, but while SPGs may be 'off', the digital never seems to be.

I had a reg become obnoxiously easy to freeflow. When I hit the surface, I basically said 'f it' and ignored it (it was due visual). The gauge said 100 psi. The transmitter sent 210. Other gauges backed up the transmitter. Apparently, Uwatec's electronics are very accurate.

Of course, I am happy my spg read lower than reality. :thumb:

And this is what's wrong with the scuba industry today. It's those damned AI hoseless computers that is ruining it for the scuba industry I'm telling you, it devil's work. If you don't have a 40 year old SPG you ain't lived and will probably die. <sarcasm font off>

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

And this is what's wrong with the scuba industry today. It's those damned AI hoseless computers that is ruining it for the scuba industry I'm telling you, it devil's work. If you don't have a 40 year old SPG you ain't lived and will probably die.

Exactly... ;-)

Although I didn't really say that. What I said as that they seemed like a somewhat unreliable "solution" to a problem that isn't really much of a problem. Someone earlier drew the comparison between these things and the evolution from depth gauges to dive computers, which isn't really a legit comparison since computers do way more than just show depth.

Maybe its the cold water up here, but pretty much every one of these new-fangled things I've seen, failed to fire up more often than not... Just seems like more trouble than they're worth.

I have a UWATEC and other than changing the battery a couple time have had no issues. They had the good sense to use a common battery for the transmitter, not so for the wrist unit. It is rather nice to look just one place for data rather than having to clip and unclip the SPG. Not the end of the world to use the SPG but not as nice.

I don't think anybody ever said AI is a solution to a problem. It is merely a convenience that some like and some don't. I see it as a matter of personal preference.

Exactly... ;-)

Although I didn't really say that. What I said as that they seemed like a somewhat unreliable "solution" to a problem that isn't really much of a problem. Someone earlier drew the comparison between these things and the evolution from depth gauges to dive computers, which isn't really a legit comparison since computers do way more than just show depth.

Maybe its the cold water up here, but pretty much every one of these new-fangled things I've seen, failed to fire up more often than not... Just seems like more trouble than they're worth.

Zombie thread!!

C'mon, if you want to hear the same spiel about WAI vs. SPG, at least start a new thread so that there will be one more on the pile...

HAHAHAHA

I see you couldn't resist making a comment.

HAHAHAHAHA

Zombie thread!!

C'mon, if you want to hear the same spiel about WAI vs. SPG, at least start a new thread so that there will be one more on the pile...

I don't think anybody ever said AI is a solution to a problem. It is merely a convenience that some like and some don't. I see it as a matter of personal preference.

Exactly. AI may be more expensive, but for plenty of people, myself included, the price is worth the convenience. When you spend thousands on tanks, have multiple regs, etc. then a couple hundred more for AI isn't that big of a deal.

IMO the "this is unnecessary, and unreliable" arguments are a lot like the backlash at computers originally. As the technology improves and gets cheaper, I wouldn't be surprised if SPGs are as outdated as depth gauges in the future.

And for this reason, a few holdouts still refuse to use dive computers of any kind. I'm not in that camp, but I can understand their reasoning. Dive computers are still a small niche of consumer products. It isn't like they have become as reliable and easy to use as, say, a typical family car. You still read about the occasional computer malfunction. I don't think dive computers are yet in that class of consumer appliances that we can use and abuse to our heart's content without having to think about and babysit--the way one can count on being able to jump into essentially any car and without any extra training on how to use that model or any attention other than gas/oil, drive tens of thousands of miles with hardly a care--and AI computers lag behind dive computers in general in this sense (if not, this thread wouldn't exist). I myself am comfortable with the state of AI computers, but I can understand how some people are not ... not just yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom