I've had it with wireless air integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagreenm

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I love the idea that of having one less cable, but the thing works about as often as it doesn't. I've had this transmitter for a little over a year and had to send it in three times already. So frustrating! Anyone have a different experience?

Preach it, brother. My Vyper air is very unreliable. Maybe that's because I don't re-sync it every time, but even when I do I have had problems during the dive, especially when using strobes at night, for some reason.

I still have one because I kind of like having the data for SAC calculations when it works, and I haven't bothered to remove the transmitter because I don't consider it a huge failure point on my warm water gear. I am going to remove it from my doubles regulators before starting tech training this season.

Brass and glass SPG is the way to go, IMHO! I barely notice that hose clipped to my left hip.

I would be alarmed not having a mechanical pressure gauge innocuously, but securely, tethered to my first stage by a skimpy unnoticable little hose.

I have never even been tempted to use a wireless setup to dive with. I hear enough horror stories that I would not trust one, although primarily on my deep dives.

I have 358 dives on an Oceanic VT3 since 2010 without more than a handful of brief signal losses. I have not noticed most of these until I saw them on the log detail. I've never needed my Geo2/SPG backup.

jagreenm, what is the brand of your unreliable AI computer?

I have two Oceanic Air integrated computers that I have had for about 10 years that have over 1000 dives on them and I also have a Liquivision LYNX that I have had for about a year that I have put about 200 dives on and in all that time with three units I have never had a transmitter or computer go bad. I have tested the accuracy of all three with a SPG and a depth gauge and they were right on. I love my air-integrated computers.

Whenever this topic comes up, we always get a lot of posts from divers who say things like "I have NEVER had a problem with my wireless AI, so I feel that there is no problem with anyone using it".

Let's assume the failure rate of wireless air integrated computer is, say, 20%. That would be ridiculously high and unacceptable, but assume the worst for this thought experiment. Also assume that it's a failure rate per unit, not per dive (that is, if you get one of the bad ones it will fail regularly, but if you get a good one it will work whenever you dive it).

That means that the vast majority of posts (80%) are going to be people who have never had problems with their transmitters, swear by them, and feel that an analog SPG is unnecessary.

Now, I don't actually know the failure rate of analog SPGs, and that would be good information to have. But I would be very surprised to learn that it was actually higher than the failure rate of wireless AI. Of course, I am always open to learning new things!

Mike

I had a an Oceanic VT3. It lasted three dives before it failed on the next dive. That was more than enough. Been more than happy with a "wired" connection since then and will never go back.

Back
Top Bottom