It's time to change my BigEyes mask..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi everybody,

It is time to change my 3 year old BigEyes mask.

I liked it, even though at times it used to hurt around the nose..

What are the "latest" innovations? What is the general opinion on the "best" 2 masks I should look at?

Of course I will choose the mask that fits me the best but I would love to hear your opinions and narrow my search. A few years back Cressi BigEyes was the overall favorite, which one is today?

Has anyone tried this TechniSub KEA? http://www.technisub.com/eng/maschere/kea.htm

Thanks!

I use a Big Eyes and I don't think there's anything on the market right now I would trade it for. The Kea doesn't fit quite the same.

Cressi does have a couple of new "successors" to the Big Eyes, but one is a bit larger and one is a bit smaller. Everyone's face is different, so the 2 best masks for me won't be the 2 best masks for you... the Best Mask is the one that fits the best, end of story.

I've been using a comparable new Sherwood on this trip... it turns out it is fine for snorkeling (great, actually), but on my face at least the skirt is too big to dive with, as it constantly cracks when I pressurize.

I had a ScubaMax 3 window mask, high volume, (Sorry, don't remember the name or number) and really liked the visibility and fit except it kept getting water in the nose. Dived almost a year before I figured out that the thing was leaking from the top seal from the beginning. Of course, my experience with Scubamax's approach to customer service seems to be "ignore it and it will go away." They have not helped me with one product problem yet, so will not be buying anything from them again. Replaced it with the Tusa M-23. Great vision, very low volume. Poor fit...or something. We bought 3 just before out last trip. All 3 complained about unusual mask squeeze and water in the nose problems. Some dives...no problem so, just when you thought you had it figured out and you did like it after all...ouch, we would have a bad experience again. I think I will keep looking.

Both of mine are Cressi Big Eyes. Haven't seen anything better out there yet. The straps on the Big Eyes do seem to give rather quickly.

I'm not familiar with the Big Eyes, but I'm a huge fan of the X-Vision. I've heard some reports of the frame cracking, but on none of the ones I own or any I've ever seen in a shop have cracks, so who knows.

I liked the X-Vision's view, but it didn't fit me well.

I just noticed that Ocean Master has a mask now with a wide field of view call the "Primero." I like and use their Z2 mask so I have been considering their Primero. Maybe it's worth checking out. An advantage is the nice, padded "Q-strap."(And if anyone has, please let me know. I started a thread asking about it last night.)

jonnythan:
I use a Big Eyes and I don't think there's anything on the market right now I would trade it for. The Kea doesn't fit quite the same.
agreed, i tried on some new ones a few weeks back, nothing fit as good as my big eyes..

Back
Top Bottom