My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 Easy Steps for Getting Your Building Permit Approved
  1. Get the Application. You can find your local building permit application by going to your city's website. ...
  2. . Fill Out the Application. ...
  3. Turn in your Application and Wait for Approval. ...
  4. . Receive Your Building Permit.
LOL.

You're getting a building permit to plug a generator cord into a socket?

4 Easy Steps for Getting Your Building Permit Approved
  1. Get the Application. You can find your local building permit application by going to your city's website. ...
  2. . Fill Out the Application. ...
  3. Turn in your Application and Wait for Approval. ...
  4. . Receive Your Building Permit.

It isn't always that easy, really depends on your municipality and what you are doing.

Like in two places I lived they largely didn't care, OTOH in one county they crawled up my butt. It took three attempts and hours looking up data sheets.

That being said, in most cases you aren't going to get caught doing most electrical work.

In Suwannee County, they won't inspect just any building. Outbuildings don't require inspections, so they won't give you a permit.
I still think you have to apply in person for the permits and exemption has the owner/contractor. Correct me if that is not accurate

Not at all. The permit would be for the transfer switch.
Wait... Now you switched from backfeeding to tranfer switches. Read the NEC. You might just be enlightened. Portable generators dont fall under 702 if they're not permanently connected.

It isn't always that easy, really depends on your municipality and what you are doing.

Like in two places I lived they largely didn't care, OTOH in one county they crawled up my butt. It took three attempts and hours looking up data sheets.

That being said, in most cases you aren't going to get caught doing most electrical w

Wait... Now you switched from backfeeding to tranfer switches. Read the NEC. You might just be enlightened. Portable generators dont fall under 702 if they're not permanently connected.
Here are my final words on this subject you have beaten to death in half-truths and inaccuracies. If you use a portable generator and without a transfer switch you not compliant with code, you are operating in an unsafe manner, and you could kill some. That is indisputable. I'm heading out on the boat.... enjoy.

The whole discussion of "suicide cords" is completely ridiculous. Does no one understand how a shore power connection on a boat works? You don't energize the shore power cable unless the breakers are open on both ends, and the prongs are sleeved anyway.

Sure, you can go buy plugs at Home Depot, but why would anyone?
The prongs are not sheathed on a suicide cord.

Marked safe from Hillsborough County inspectors. :D :D :D

At least you guys care! I appreciate that. I'm seeing that our electrical infrastructure is getting stronger all the time. Perhaps I'll never need to hook up my generator again. I can't wait till I install solar here!!!

The prongs are not sheathed on a suicide cord.
Anyone who goes to Home Depot and buys 2 male plugs and energizes one end deserves whatever they end up with.

Especially since marine shore power cords are available with male and female ends, as well as rv shore power cords same.

Reactions: BRT

People dont actuall read the links to junk they post. In or around 2008 a lineman may have died (autopsy not done) from picking up a line that was energized. He didnt open the transformer fuse to kill the backfeed per protocol. So, the back fed generator did not kill this guy. Even the Pike guys said he messed up.

Back
Top Bottom