My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I direct your attention to this article... Backfeeding Portable Generators is Dangerous and Illegal

OK. Read it. So? Maybe you missed this part of my post: "I fully support connecting generators to houses in accordance with code." Code calls for an interlock device of some sort.

Perhaps you don't understand the point I was trying to make. Even a big (25K) home backup genset won't run a neighborhood. It won't even try for very long (milliseconds, not minutes) before something stops it. Genset breakers, windings melting, or stalling due to load will stop it in its tracks.

Could such a combination arise in practice? Yes. And, very rarely, it has. Here's an example, with the worker failing to follow procedure another big contributing factor:

A classic combination of wrong place, wrong time, and mistakes made by more than one player. There's other stuff that had to be true that wasn't in the article. There can't have been many houses connected with any significant electrical load, for example.

So I suppose the risk is more than theoretical. But it's still quite small IMO. That doesn't mean I'll take it (and I won't, since we have an interlock on our main panel).

Marked safe from Hillsborough County inspectors. :D :D :D

At least you guys care! I appreciate that. I'm seeing that our electrical infrastructure is getting stronger all the time. Perhaps I'll never need to hook up my generator again. I can't wait till I install solar here!!!

At least you guys care! I appreciate that. I'm seeing that our electrical infrastructure is getting stronger all the time. Perhaps I'll never need to hook up my generator again. I can't wait till I install solar here!!!
Won't you have to get up on the roof with an Orcatorch to run electric at night?

Won't you have to get up on the roof with an Orcatorch to run electric at night?
I'm a caver. I operate in the dark all the time. Drives peeps nuts. Then, every 60 years or so, I walk into a pit and break a leg!
I’m just happy that the Chairman’s back has recovered to the point that this thread is about electrical code.
Yeah, the Grand Nephew is here and we're working out in the workshop, getting ready to work on his car. Woo woo!

Completely wrong.

How do you even get a permit if you're not a contractor?
In many states the homeowner may act as the general contractor and pull their own permits….

Marked safe from Hillsborough County inspectors. :D :D :D

Solar can be problematic as well. You may need a new roof prior to installation of solar. Also if damaged by winds, don't look for help from your Homeowners Insurance until your windstorm deductible is met

Completely wrong.

How do you even get a permit if you're not a contractor?
4 Easy Steps for Getting Your Building Permit Approved
  1. Get the Application. You can find your local building permit application by going to your city's website. ...
  2. . Fill Out the Application. ...
  3. Turn in your Application and Wait for Approval. ...
  4. . Receive Your Building Permit.

Solar can be problematic as well. You may need a new roof prior to installation of solar. Also if damaged by winds, don't look for help from you Homeowners Insurance until your windstorm deductible is met
Thanks for your input. I have lots of room, so it won't be on my roof.

4 Easy Steps for Getting Your Building Permit Approved
In Suwannee County, they won't inspect just any building. Outbuildings don't require inspections, so they won't give you a permit.

Back
Top Bottom