Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ooh gosh i am getting old at 48... start to dive last summer after a long break of the sport, i did find my vison under water less crisp and accurate 😩. difficult to check my computer and compass. I find an optometrist that will put lens in my mask, could not wait to try !

I'm a beginner and have only slightly bad distance vision (-1/-1.25), but compared to my partner, I realize I need vision correction while diving. She keeps signaling "shark" and other sights, and I can't make them out beyond a blurry shadow three meters from my face.

I was hoping this post would be a real guide like the opening post claimed (Your Ultimate Guide to select the your diving glasses), but it seems more of a shill post for a brand, and doesn't do more than scratch the surface topics and only enough to shill the brand.

Off to do more research...

I'm a beginner and have only slightly bad distance vision (-1/-1.25), but compared to my partner, I realize I need vision correction while diving. She keeps signaling "shark" and other sights, and I can't make them out beyond a blurry shadow three meters from my face.

I was hoping this post would be a real guide like the opening post claimed (Your Ultimate Guide to select the your diving glasses), but it seems more of a shill post for a brand, and doesn't do more than scratch the surface topics and only enough to shill the brand.

I had the same problem as you; blurry dives, being unable to spot anything. I had very good luck with Prescription Dive Masks (Prescription Dive Masks | Our Products | Prescription Dive Masks). You send them your mask, they cut the lenses and mount them to your mask. I had my Venom done about 5y ago and they are still going strong. My recommendation is to first find a mask that you really like and fits you well, then reach out PDM. Downside, can get expensive (you buy a good mask, then the cost of lenses and fitting). Upside, you get the mask you like, and YOU CAN SEE!!! :)

I also have a prescription mask from SeaVision (SeaVision USA | Prescription Dive Masks) I'm not as in-love with this mask. Downside, you are limited to the mask geometries they carry. Upside, they are significantly less expensive than the PDM option above.

You may have found the worst post in recent memory on here lol.

Other than what was mentioned in the previous post, with your level of correction, there are a bunch of masks that have generic lenses from -9 to +9. Edge-Hog has two different masks (IIRC) that will accept prescription lenses and they are pretty reasonably priced, though I can't say I've ever seen the lenses.

It's always worth talking to your optometrist before you pull the trigger though. If you have an astigmatism, generic prescriptions may not do you any good.

That's why I responded above.

I don't know why people put up with bad vision underwater. Seeing stuff is the whole point of diving for most of us, it's absolutely worth spending a little extra to maximize your vision.

Do you have a recent prescription? If it's what you posted, you can definitely get by with one of the pre-ground lenses. If you just want to test the waters, the Promate mask is inexpensive and works fine. My son is happy with his.

If your prescription is not recent or the pre-made lenses don't work, then get an eye exam and have them give you the full prescription including the PD (pupillary distance). They may not be happy giving it to you since they make most of their money selling glasses or contacts, but explain that you're getting a custom dive mask. Either way, they have to give it to you.

Again, I like Prescription Dive Masks out of La Mesa, CA. I've had 3 masks made by them over the years as my prescription changes. I send them a mask that I know fits me and they make and bond the lenses.

The other possibility is your partner is just messing with your head. :)

Seeing stuff is the whole point of diving for most of us, it's absolutely worth spending a little extra to maximize your vision.
I totally agree! My first twenty minutes of my OW dive was sobering. "I'm not going to see anything very clearly. I need vision correction for this to be worthwhile."

If you just want to test the waters
I get it! :wink:

Either way, they have to give it to you.
I got my Rx and am looking at options now. I just have to research shipping options as I live in Belize now and haven't bothered with shipping forwarding yet.
Again, I like Prescription Dive Masks out of La Mesa, CA. I've had 3 masks made by them over the years as my prescription changes. I send them a mask that I know fits me and they make and bond the lenses.
I've saved their info for after my test mask that will likely be a cheap Promate. Thanks for the recommendation.
The other possibility is your partner is just messing with your head. :)
Ha! She could have easily done so, but others in the group saw the sharks too. I contented myself with the coral and the knowledge that that dive site was more for us to get our bearings at ten meters.

Normally I would suggest something like the scubapro D mask or the zoom, which costs about 1/2 of the D and SP will sell you lenses directly and they are very easy to change but lately they haven’t been stocking the replacements so there is limited availability of the choices, I have my main mask with +1.5, my buddy uses a zoom with something like -3.

Keep in mind you can wear soft contacts when you dive. I have over 300 dives on the edge optix mask mentioned by viking dives above. It has definitely been beaten up and held up well. You order each lens separately -1.5 - 8.0 or can add bifocal lenses as needed. Since the index of refraction of water is 1.33 (at 20oC) your prescription won't be the same underwater, with the rule of thumb being 0.5 closer to zero. I bought it from piranha dive manufacturing for about $60, but it is widely available. Edge Optix

I also found this old video from scuba toys useful when I was shopping for a prescription mask. Prescription Masks.

Keep in mind you can wear soft contacts when you dive.
Good point. Disposable contacts are a decent option. You just have to be careful of contamination and how you handle mask floods.

I wanted to post a followup now that I've purchased a prescription mask. I thought I had made my own post, but no; I hijacked this one. Apologies...

I decided to go cheap on my first try and picked up the Promate "Fish Eyes" mask in my prescription. I opted for the black gasket to reduce glare and light intrusion, and since I was gifting my old Cressi Icarus to my son with snorkel, I went with the "combo" that included a matching snorkel and generic snorkel fins.

First impression:

The shopping process reveals a shortcoming right away: They don't offer vision correction options in -0.25 steps, only half. However, in practice this is really not that important. The mask was well-packaged and protected, and included a mesh dive bag for the whole kit. The finish and fit of the custom lenses is great. I see no flaws in the fit, and unlike a brand new Cressi I just bought my partner, this one doesn't have stickers to peel off, or weak looking plastic bits. That's not to say this is a high-end mask -- it's certainly not -- but it seems more durable to me. In the mask was a small paper set of instructions about removing the silicone protective coating, and I am thankful for that. While PADI has a write-up on the topic, I found the included instructions convincing and simplistic. I grabbed my trusty Colgate basic toothpaste and removed the coating. More on the results later.

First use:

My family came to the Caribbean to visit me last week (and brought my mask from the states with them), and we took a trip out to several great local spots inside the reef. Altogether, I have probably three hours of snorkeling with the new mask to base my review on so far. On the first use, I rinsed and spat upon my mask and worked it around to coat the lenses entirely. I entered the 78F water and I could see (clearly! HUZZAH!) that the film of spit was not beading up as my previous masks had done (I had never removed the silicone layer before), and were not fogging at all. Even after twenty minutes, no fog, no leaks. The fit was great, and the clarity underwater was something I had never experienced before.

Silicone film:

My son wanted to test the toothpaste method, so we treated only one lens on my old Cressi Icarus (I have over 30 hours on this mask in the Caribbean, but never removed the silicone layer), and we can confirm that one lens was fogged and the other not. He is an expert spittle-spreader, and reports that the untreated lens just kept repelling the spit, where the other allowed the spit to cling in a fine film and prevent fog. I can report that my Promate mask was much easier to clean than the Cressi, which may be related to it's age and use. What isn't spit good for?!?

Notes:

I shave my face (at least where the gasket interfaces) before each dive, and when I skip it, the gasket leaks. Women won't likely have this problem, and perhaps men with softer or less hair on their faces as well, but for me, not shaving means lots of expelling water from the mask. Any mask.

The nose for this mask is a terrific fit for me. My nose isn't small by any means, but I'm not Caesar, either. I've only ever has one mask squish my nose, and that was a 70's model from childhood that was simply a round tempered glass that touched the tip of my nose.

Quibble:

This mask anchors the strap to stout silicone tabs on the gasket. While the silicone is very stout, I would prefer to see this anchored to the solid plastic frame of the lenses.

Final Word:

I bought this as an inexpensive test in case I didn't like the mask itself, the shape, or even the Rx lenses. Since it was roughly the same price with Rx as a non-Rx Cressi in my local dive shop, I'm quite pleased. One thing I would probably try on my next Rx mask is including a small +1.00 or +1.50 reader bifocal so I can see the things I bring close to my face. Looking over your glasses isn't really an option with a mask. I would definitely buy an Rx mask again, and see no reason so far to dislike this cheap option.

Back
Top Bottom