issues with BP/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, you're right, the second one doesn't work anymore. That was a nice one too. Nope, the crotch strap is seperate.

I use this type of crotch strap right now:

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/CS/cstech.htm

This is the style I used with my first plate and wing (DR wing) -- I like it better than then my old Halcyon style. My old Halcyon 1" crotch strap had grommets and used nutt and bolts to adjust everything. I wore that one out.

Mike

Just curious: is a crotch strap necessary (you must have one), desirable (you should have one), or optional (take it or leave it, as you prefer)? Why?

Z

A crotch strap prevents the rig from "riding up", especially on the surface. This riding up is also especially noticable when using an AL 80.

I would say it's desireable, I guess. You could live without it, I suppose, but it's a part of the system. Taking it away would be very awkward. I use it 100% of the time.

Mike

Thanks LY - looks like a useful site for other stuff too as I am beginning to wonder about trimix. Won't be doing the training here though as the cost is far too prohibative.....

Jonathan

Now that it seems like everyone is playing nicely again, may I ask a question?

Am I correct in thinking the Halcyon steel backplate has no padding?

I am concerned about this. I, personally, have practically no padding. I'm what is politely called "lean," and less politely called "scrawny" or possibly "bony." I need padding. I tried on my brother's Dive Rite, and it's nicely padded and quite comfortable. How does a Halcyon backplate feel over a tri-lam suit on a lean person who bruises easily and has a threshold for pain just slightly higher than a worm's belly?

I haven't seen a Halcyon in stock in any shop around here (nor a Dive Rite for that matter). They're just too expensive to keep in inventory, I guess.

Thanks for advice - think anyone will be quicker than UP to answer me? :D

BTW Shadow.... don't rely on how it feels out of the water or how it looks...
In the water is where it counts and you won't even notice it is there...
Rock solid and comfortable when adjusted right... that is the shoulder strap should not be too tight and the weight is carried on the hips... come on down to Everett and I let you try one.

I may just take you up on it. Boat show (Seattle Fleet of Dreams) is May 16-19. Was thinking of coming to Seattle then - dive Saturday, look at boats Sunday... I'd appreciate very much having a look-see, as the only Halcyon I've seen is on their website photo. Would need somewhere easier to dive than Deception Pass, though... I do like having a bottom ... and nothing man-eating....

:shout: Jonnythan: Ask many questions

:teach: UP: Continue to give many answers

:medal: A truly entertaining thread!

Interesting posts!

I too was once a 'tactical BC' fan. I had a $450 Mares BC that looked like a dream for skydiving - but was SO full of crap I'd NEVER need underwater! Sure, it looked cool! Know what happens to a diver when plastic buckles (or any gear) fails at 300 ft? VERY bad! Never happen in a DIR rig.

Anyways, bacg to the point - Then, some Seattle DIR boys I met online got me thinking on trim, steamlining, drag, OOA Emergencies, etc. Then I started by e-mailing wreck, tech and deep divers all round the world - asking them WHY they thought this BP/wings configuration could possobly be better than mine -result? BP/Wings was what 99% of the divers use. WHY does anyone think that IS? There HAD to be a reason.....were they just brainwashed into this DIR cult - or was there good justification for this?

I have a Halycon Pioneer setup now, primary on the 5 ft long hose, SS backplate, DIR compliant SPG, DIR harness and D-ring configuration, etc. - and will be diving it this summer here in NY for the first time. I have NO doubt that it IS the way to go. Its SO simple - it looks like it can't possibly work - but I know that it will. Easy to replace the harness if it ever wears out - for $20. Sure, it takes some time to string the BP and adjust the webbing...but once you got it - its done. I will never break!

I used to think that DIR was this 'culty' club - but its not. DIRers are composed of divers who THINK about things FIRST and don't buy on just sales, marketing, ads or whims. They KNOW what works, WHY it works, and most of them have been thru all kinds of gear, spents piles of money, to have found out what they now know.

Uncle Pug, where are you from anyways? Sounds like you have plenty to teach us newbies!

...and the debate goes on....as it always DOES!

Get a copy of GUE's "DIR Fundamentals" Jonathan....I'll also be posting a link soon from the UK with Windows Media Player DIR skill video's. Thats when this all falls into place...

May DIR ive on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom