issues with BP/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I said I would be back if I had any questions, but so far I don't. :) I ordered my Halcyon Pioneer 36# rig from Lloyd Bailey's last week and have been waiting anxiously ever since. It arrived yesterday, I pulled it out of the box, and voila! most of it is already rigged for me. All I had to do was put the wing on (easy) and adjust the straps to the correct size. I had to move the D rings around a bit to compensate for longer shoulder loops. I did take off the steel things that were on the webbing behind the bp, they hindered the shoulder adjustment when I tighten the waist down. I had not heard of anyone else having these, so I thought maybe they were there b/c the rig was on display and they wanted the webbing to stay where it was. Now all I've got to do is jump in the pool and work on the weighting and trim. I am wondering if I should have gotten the 27# wing instead, but I think they are the same size, but the 36 has the bellows to give it a bit more lift, so I don't think that it will streamline any worse than the 27?

I gotta admit, its a sweet set-up, I got the storage pak as well, oh yeah, there's a question- does it matter which way the screws are facing on it? I put the head on the back and the flat female side on the side my back touches. Correct? I figured the flat side had a lower profile than the screw head, plus the hole on the eyelet is bigger than the hole on the bp = more stable and the screw won't get pulled through the storage pak's eyelet. Other than that, it's a piece of cake to set up so far, and actually comfy without a shirt on (as that is how I've been guesstimating the correct size until I get in the pool):wink: I can't wait to try it out in the ocean this weekend!

-Mike

Originally posted by SPEEDSTER
I did take off the steel things that were on the webbing behind the bp, they hindered the shoulder adjustment when I tighten the waist down. I had not heard of anyone else having these, so I thought maybe they were there b/c the rig was on display and they wanted the webbing to stay where it was.
Oops, put them back on.

One of the nice thing about a backplate is that once it's adjusted it stays put. It takes awhile to get it perfect, but then (due to the keepers) it stays put. These keepers are what isolates the waistbelt (which is supposed to be a little snug) from the shoulder straps (that are supposed to be loose).

Everyone I know has 'em on their backplate.

Roak

Can anyone send me a close up digital pic showing the correct orientation of the shoulder straps and what direction they go INTO the bottom slots of the BP? I bought my kit and of all the GUE pics, and CAD drawing's GUE has, I cannot find ONE pic that shows me just which way they are to curve going into the bottom slots.

Thanks,
MJU

ok, thanks, I'll put 'em back on. I thought I had read somewhere that you should be able to snug the shoulder straps down by tightening the waist strap when you don the gear, but I guess not. :rolleyes:

thanks,
Mike

Originally posted by Scuba446
Can anyone send me a close up digital pic showing the correct orientation of the shoulder straps and what direction they go INTO the bottom slots of the BP?
Well I don't have a picture but I think I can do this in less than a thousand words.

Visualize with me please:

The back plate is on your back with the shoulder strap coming over your shoulder... the inner edge of the strap needs to rotate away from your body so that the strap can lay flat against your side... it continues to make this rotation (slightly more than a quarter twist) and enters the bottom inside slot then through a SS weight belt keeper and then back out the outer slot.

How's that?

Originally posted by SPEEDSTER
you should be able to snug the shoulder straps down by tightening the waist strap when you don the gear, but I guess not.
Mike what happens is that when you put the waist belt through the crotch strap loop it pulls the rig down and tightens up the shoulder straps somewhat... not excessively but more than without the crotch strap. That way when you release your waist belt the shoulders loosen up and it is very easy to get out of.

You are going to love it. :D

Thanks,
Let me digest that!

Thanks man!

I DID have it correct!

QUESTION: Are the OMS SPG's any good?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom