Is Verde Island worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackfish Corner, at the western tip of Verde Island. One of the best deep reefs & fish life seen at 45m/150', and 40 minutes of the wildest deco drift dive with ripping currents I've ever been on. . .

Looks like I received "bad advice" :shakehead:

I'll have to make sure to find someone to take me there next time I make it down.

I don't know. I can't speak for Ethei. I do know that going to Verde is much more trouble (1 hour boat ride, in good conditions), more costlty and basically only worth it for dive operators if you have a good full boat. But still... :popcorn:

I don't know. I can't speak for Ethei. I do know that going to Verde is much more trouble (1 hour boat ride, in good conditions), more costlty and basically only worth it for dive operators if you have a good full boat. But still... :popcorn:

That sounds like a typical dive day in El Nido or Coron :wink:

Even Puerto Princesa the better sites were further away. I paid 500 pesos extra to go by myself there. The boat ride was over an hour.

In both El Nido and Coron there were usually only 2 or 3 other divers on the boat. Sites there we went out did a dive, had lunch, did a couple more dives and then came back. Reason... because it took over an hour to get there :D

I don't think the dive operators there would do it if they weren't making money :wink:

Maybe Ethei was just worried about the Titan triggerfish :eyebrow:

Echoing the sentiments so far, Verde is a a fantastic site.

I was in PG for 2 weeks in March - April and went three times.

Breathtaking pinaccles, clear water, more fish than you can shake a stick at, BBQ on the beach for an SI and all within 45 mins of PG.

Kevrumbo's got a point with Blackfish as well, more than worth it if you can.

After 2 x Verde, I then scared myself witless on Kilima Drift, too :D Strongest current I'd seen there in many a year.

:DVerde is a must dive! Do not miss it if you have the chance!!!:D

To answer the question of "who says"....

I did not do Verde Island when I was in Puerto Galera last June. Ethei at Dive Dojo said it wasn't worth the trip even though I was willing to pay extra to go because I had heard so much about it. I asked repeatedly and was told repeatedly "not that great".

Interesting since I know two of the posters who replied here know him quite well and have an opposite opinion...

I think it depends on what type of diving you enjoy. One my first two trips to PG I went to Verde for a day, last trip I did not bother. As said, clear water, sweeping vistas, big schools of fish. I would call it scenic, BUT, as a beginner photographer, put me down in the muck around PG instead anytime.

It sounds like Verde is a must go. I don't think I would want to take a banca from the Anialo area though. Heck I have taken a banca from Anialo to Sombero Island and some days this is a rough ride. Anilao to Verde would be a longer and more expensive trip. What is the charge to go from Sabang/small laguna area to Verde?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom