Is Verde Island worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i got our quotation for verde and it was quite pricey
now im thinking twice of wether to go or not.
i wonder how verde compares to the wall dives in bohol (balicassag) and the wall in dumaguete(apo island)
are there things i will see in verde that i will never see in these places?
i searched the forum and thre doesnt seem to be a very comprehensive review of ewhat once can actually see in verde
I liked all 3 places. I don't think I could make a fair comparison.

Let me know what else you would like to know on top of my post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4413735-post8.html

Verde gave me quite an adrenaline rush.

edit: still trying to make a comparison...it's like this: I like chicken adobo, chicken inasal, chicken tinola...it all taste like chicken but each one has a distinct flavour that is enjoyable in their own way.

Rab, been to all three you mentioned and I'd like to go back again...you can add Napantao in Sogod Bay, Cabilao Island near Bohol and Adrian's cove over in Limasawa Island, all wall dives, each one different. Chicken Tinola and Chicken Pork Adobo thing.

just like poster here, a friend of mine described verde as having the same things youll see in other dive sites but in much more quantity. my friend says there really isnt anything compelling except for the rough currents.
i was looking forward to some pelagics and large schools of fish because of the meeting of currents within the area. it seems however that this is not the case.
i saw an article on verde island on a cebu pacific flight and it described how one could see these pelagics, like rays and large sharks and great shoals of fish on a fairly consistent basis. if have yet to see a travel report on verde stating that they have seen thses and i have yet to hear from friends that they have seen these too.

Well I have 2 dives on Verde under my belt and... No sharks... no giant schools of pelagics... There were some pelagics, some trevally, and sorts... But it's not Palau!!!!:rofl3: Don't go there expecting sharks, rays, etc... I've also heard of those encounters there, and yes, I'm sure it happens! But by no means is Verde a "pelagic" sure thing... The most amazing thing was the Wall, lost of healthy coral, and honnestly, the Cloud of Anthias you fall into as you submerge! I'm not kidding they are everywhere! It's amazing. I was sure I was going to get a few stuck in my 12nd stage!:rofl3::rofl3:

It's a great dive. But Canyons in Sabang is not that far behind...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

I remember diving Verde 25 some years ago; a group of friends discovered a Ming dynasty wreck just off shore and recovered a lot of intact cargo which as far as I can remember never reported it. I was able to recover shattered porcelain pieces and lead cannon ball shots.

Well I have 2 dives on Verde under my belt and... No sharks... no giant schools of pelagics... There were some pelagics, some trevally, and sorts... But it's not Palau!!!!:rofl3: Don't go there expecting sharks, rays, etc... I've also heard of those encounters there, and yes, I'm sure it happens! But by no means is Verde a "pelagic" sure thing... The most amazing thing was the Wall, lost of healthy coral, and honnestly, the Cloud of Anthias you fall into as you submerge! I'm not kidding they are everywhere! It's amazing. I was sure I was going to get a few stuck in my 12nd stage!:rofl3::rofl3:

It's a great dive. But Canyons in Sabang is not that far behind...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

thanks codman
wow that article i read really gave some exaggerated info about verde.
i wouldnt mind diving there but Again i think the preice per dive is making me think twice.
ive seen some great walls in balicasag, apo island, cabilao, and mantigue island. and these would be 5 star dives in most dive books. and the thing is they cost less per dive than this trip. also, im heading to bohol in june so ill definitely get my wall dive fix there :)
as divers, we try to dive as many sites as possible. but i have consistently dove more down south (visays, mindanao) because of the priice and variety and with easier current. i just feel that dives in anilao and PG are a little overpriced for what you get. a week in dumaguete is definitely cheaper than a week in anilao even with the ticket price.
but going back to verde, i guess ill see how my groupmates react to the price. it does include a few dives in PG like canyons, so that makes it a little more interesting to me.

OK... Lets look at this under another angle, than the original question...

For all those of you of the PPD, who have dived Verde, when considering a price/uqality of diving... Do you think Verde is worth it?

I'll start! For me it was worth it.... But having travelled 27 hours by plane, when I get to my destination, I'll pay big $$ for a greta experience.

But honnestly, per dollar, Verde is not as good as many dives in Sabang. If I was to rate the best dives in the PG/ Sabang area, for value (worth per diving dollar), I'd rate them as follows:
1- Canyons
2- Sinandigan wall
3- Alma Jane wreck at night
4- Alma Jane wreck during the day
5- Shark cave

But if Money is no object... Verde Wall gets top marks...

That's just my oppinion... Take it for what it's worth...

:coffee:

its the adventure....money second, maybe.

true samson but if it turns out not to be the adventure you were expecting then the trip will suck.
thus the questions and tips on scubaboard:doh2:

I doubt you'll find Verde sucks... But you might find your money would have been better spent diving closer/ cheaper... Especially if Walls aren't your thing. Just don,t expect sharks and big stuff. Verde is a magnificent Wall dive packed with tons (and I mean it) of marine life.

true samson but if it turns out not to be the adventure you were expecting then the trip will suck.
thus the questions and tips on scubaboard:doh2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom