Is Verde Island worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow it seems like an overwhelming number of yes for verde island.
my dive instructor also says its such a worthwhile dive with macro and pelagics. good chances of seeing all sorts of rays, sharks,and large schools of fish.
but everybody ive spoken warns of the current since it sits between batangas and pg where currents meet.
we are pushin thru on may 30 with a group 6to8 under a guy named gurdos (i didnt make the arrangments).
should be fun!

Verde Island is a must see. The washing machine dive sit is one of the most memorable dives of my life. Apo Island is also spectacular and a must see.

my dive instructor also says its such a worthwhile dive with macro and pelagics. good chances of seeing all sorts of rays, sharks,and large schools of fish.
but everybody ive spoken warns of the current since it sits between batangas and pg where currents meet.
we are pushin thru on may 30 with a group 6to8 under a guy named gurdos (i didnt make the arrangments).
should be fun!
be careful once the current starts, especially at the pinnacles.

be careful once the current starts, especially at the pinnacles.

thanks for the warning samson. i heard the downcurrent can get really tricky. its also the reason why my friends got a dm whose specific specialty is current dives and has been to verde many many times.
ive handled wasing machine type currents before but i really dont know how strong these are compared to those in verde and canyons ( which we would do also).

And stay near to the wall. The current can easily pull you off of it into blue water. Many a diver there has surfaced away from the wall and needed salvaging from their dive boat!:dork2:

thanks codman. i would never dive verde without my balloon, my reef hook and a compass.
just to be on the safe side.
the hook may allow me to use my hands for photographs but i doubt i will be of any use in a wall dive...

thanks codman. i would never dive verde without my balloon, my reef hook and a compass.
the hook may allow me to use my hands for photographs but i doubt i will be of any use in a wall dive...

If your DM plans the dive correctly in relation to the currents, the reef hook will be useless. There can be very little current when you get it right. And also, it's pretty much a vertical wall, so i don't know how usefull a reef hook will be.

should be fun!

gordos (if we're talking about the same DM, is he the one out of planet dive?) is a cool guy.. i get him as my DM all the time. he also knows the different dives sites unbelievably well.. and most important, he is able to manage currents very well and plan accordingly. i remember diving mainit with strong currents, but we were still quite relaxed.

gordos (if we're talking about the same DM, is he the one out of planet dive?) is a cool guy.. i get him as my DM all the time. he also knows the different dives sites unbelievably well.. and most important, he is able to manage currents very well and plan accordingly. i remember diving mainit with strong currents, but we were still quite relaxed.

yeah man he's the same guy.
my friends, most of whom are rescue divers still rave about how good he is at planning difficult dives. and he is very careful in handling divers who are unfamiliar with rough dives. they say he is the perfect guy to do verde with especailly if you havent been there...

Back
Top Bottom