Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatan has a BIG problem with bugs! You can get scared if you go and it is almost everyone! So should we blame the locals and stop taking Deet or other precaution? After all the authorities should be doing something! Or do we take care of ourselves knowing the problem???? I will take my own Deet and take care of my own security! Just the kind of guy I am! Solo diver, Conservative, self reliant, and Life Member NRA!

You're not missing a thing. It is total malarkey. It's to make the island and the locals seem honest and hard working - it's the tourist that's the problem. :eyebrow:Can you imagine that line a crapola?:rofl3::rofl3:

I have jumped into this fray late in the game. I really don't have a dog in the fight as I have never been to Bonaire.

After reading posts indicating that the theft issue is more likely to be committed by tourists, I must be taking leave of my common sense.

I can't really see the point of someone paying all of the money to travel that distance, pay for a hotel room and a vehicle, only to steal from other tourists.

I must be way behind the times now if that is happening.

That or I am completely missing the point of the posts.

According to the local police there are groups which travel to Bonaire from the other islands and the mainland to steal from tourist divers. It is a short trip from the mainland or the other islands to purchase cached goods from locals, or to spend a few days thieving.

Yeah, and no checks when they leave the island. gee, why is that guy getting back on the ferry with 4 regs and 2 spare tires?:eyebrow:

Yeah, and no checks when they leave the island. gee, why is that guy getting back on the ferry with 4 regs and 2 spare tires?:eyebrow:

I would bet the spare tires stay there, I would guess the rental agencies sell off the rental trucks locally when taking them out of service and the locals buy stolen tires

Roatan has a BIG problem with bugs! You can get scared if you go and it is almost everyone! So should we blame the locals and stop taking Deet or other precaution? After all the authorities should be doing something! Or do we take care of ourselves knowing the problem???? I will take my own Deet and take care of my own security! Just the kind of guy I am! Solo diver, Conservative, self reliant, and Life Member NRA!

You are equating bugs to criminals that rob your gear? What? :shocked2:They spray for bugs on Roatan. Do they catch and arrest criminals on Bonaire. No they do not.:no:

I would bet the spare tires stay there, I would guess the rental agencies sell off the rental trucks locally when taking them out of service and the locals buy stolen tires

yes, doubtless you are correct. Your senior police background is showing again:wink:

Sold back to the rental agencies?

yes, doubtless you are correct. Your senior police background is showing again:wink:

Sold back to the rental agencies?

Naw, too easy to get caught. ...they make more off of the differential between cost of the tire and the insurance payment, or the customer fee; what is it? 500 or so? Tire is probably 50$ volume purchase...

Naw, too easy to get caught. ...they make more off of the differential between cost of the tire and the insurance payment, or the customer fee; what is it? 500 or so? Tire is probably 50$ volume purchase...

Caught by whom, the people on the take?:rofl3::rofl3:

PF..I realize you know (or perhaps THINK you know may be more accurate) quite a bit about Bonaire, so if you can tell me exactly where that ferry is I'd be most appreciative.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom