Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is toursit retaliation looked upon on the island? If I lay in wait in the brush and baby seal club one of these petty thieves will the dutch government give me a medal or stick me in prison and throw away the key?

What if they never find the body?

lhan90l.jpg

They wouldn't throw away the key, but you would be prosecuted.

You are more likely to be a victim of crime commited by a fellow tourist on the island

Say what???? :shocked2:

Where the hell do you stay when you go on vacation, Ye Ole Prison Barge Hotel, the Den of Thieves Bed and Breakfast, The Pack O' Pirates Resort?

I hate to say it but another diver will stand out far less that a local going through a truck at a dive site. Unless they were smashing windows or something, most vacationers would never give them a second look. Gas, Tires.....that sort of thing is a different story because anybody wouldstand out if seen doing it.

Say what???? :shocked2:

Where the hell do you stay when you go on vacation, Ye Ole Prison Barge Hotel, the Den of Thieves Bed and Breakfast, The Pack O' Pirates Resort?

think about it.You look like any other tourist diving and are simply taking "your gear out of a truck",problem is its not your truck or gear.Who is going to think twice that the tourist is actually a thief?
If at the resort more likely to be a tourist thief for the same reason.Looking like a tourist is a great way to lift stuff at a tourist destination..Very unlikely for it to be a local at the larger resorts such as Buddy's or Habitat or Plaza as there are security people at the entrance and on the grounds.
I personally never had anyhing taken from myself on 30 trips and over 600 dives on the island.

The good thing is we can rule out PF because he wants everybody to stay away from the Island so he is good :thumb:. The rest of us Pro-Bonaire people however.....:rolleyes:....well we just look guilty now.:sprint:

Adaveke you are so right.The pool only shows 10 or more visits.I have been to the island a minimum of 30 times.So giving an conservative average of 20 dives per visit,that brings it up to a minimum of 600 crime free dives there for myself.Oh,and that does not count the dives my wife made or any of the other people ithat maybe in my group.
You are more likely to be a victim of crime commited by a fellow tourist on the island who is staying at your resort than a local.
Its the tourist who steals someones pocessions as a crime of opportunity--the victim carelessly left their whatever lying around because they are in a hurry to get lunch/get a drink at the bar/whatever it is, and because the criminal tourist's are leaving usually that day or very soon and will be off the island the criminal tourist just picks it up and walks away with it.

Same for me. With 15 trips and around 500 person-days (days counting myself and those directly with me) on the island and averaging around 3 dives per day, I can account for around 1500 + dives on the island with zero issues. Not counting the rest of my group I have around 300 or more dives on the island, something the poll does not take into account.

I have jumped into this fray late in the game. I really don't have a dog in the fight as I have never been to Bonaire.

After reading posts indicating that the theft issue is more likely to be committed by tourists, I must be taking leave of my common sense.

I can't really see the point of someone paying all of the money to travel that distance, pay for a hotel room and a vehicle, only to steal from other tourists.

I must be way behind the times now if that is happening.

That or I am completely missing the point of the posts.

There are times still today where people stoop to levels lower than I could ever have imagined. Stupidity, greed, ignorance....you name it, it is everywhere. Scary but true.

I have jumped into this fray late in the game. I really don't have a dog in the fight as I have never been to Bonaire.

After reading posts indicating that the theft issue is more likely to be committed by tourists, I must be taking leave of my common sense.

I can't really see the point of someone paying all of the money to travel that distance, pay for a hotel room and a vehicle, only to steal from other tourists.

I also doubt any tourist/thief would plan such a stealing trip. But I can see a tourist taking a wallet or a reg if it is left unattended. The opportunity makes the thief. If you leave stuf unatended in a vehicle in plain sight the opportunity is big.
I'm not stating that I think all crime is committed by visitors to the island, but it is possible that a part is committed by them.

According to the local police there are groups which travel to Bonaire from the other islands and the mainland to steal from tourist divers. It is a short trip from the mainland or the other islands to purchase cached goods from locals, or to spend a few days thieving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom