Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is all well and good but the reality is that your numbers are incredibly inaccurate. Perhaps the math is correct but you have a sampling right now of 35 voters. I do not know how many visitors there are to the island each year but I would expect it to be in the 10's of 1000's. No matter what, this poll is nothing more than an indicator because certain members swear that you are guaranteed to get raped and beaten and robbed and mugged and any other form of crime the second you land on the island. There is crime on the island and nobody has ever disputed that. It is the fanatical and outright ridiculous (dare I say narrow mindedand blind as well) view that Bonaire is a crime riddles place and nobody should ever travel there because of it that people are disputing with this poll.

So, no need to dispute the statistical accuracy of a poll with 35 votes. It is only an indicator (at least in my opinion).

I hate to say it but using the poll numbers as of today and doing some statistical analysis coupled with probabilities the number are ugly.

Using those numbers there is a 3% statistical chance of being the victim of a crime on a 1 week stay on the island.

Doesn't sound too bad, except this is based on an exposure of 7 days (or a 1 week vacation on average)

You have to now convert this exposure to 52 times this to an annual number which brings the true number to 11% chance of being a victim of a crime. This shows the real number.

The numbers show its a higher than normal percentage of crime statistically lowered by low frequency of exposure. Increasing the exposure shows how what seems like a low percentage is actually an abnormally high one.

But what the hell do I know?

I don't have a dog in the fight but just like to have the facts acurately portrayed and then lets have the debate be based on the facts.

First, remember that 79.34% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Second perception is reality.

A group of us for years have thought about going to Bonaire but the constant stories about thefts and the indifference of the local "authorities" have made us go elsewhere. Bonaire is losing out on a lot of tourist money and trashing their reputation.

This I do understand because I had heard all the stories before I went the first time. Quite frankly, I think people like the Bonaire Bashers on this board actually help us out a great deal by keeping some of the divers away from the island. I would hate for it to become another site like many I have been to where the reefs become beaten and abused by the divers that come. Right now (or pre-OMAR) the reefs were wonderful and healthy as were the fish. Too many divers will kill that quickly.

This I do understand because I had heard all the stories before I went the first time. Quite frankly, I think people like the Bonaire Bashers on this board actually help us out a great deal by keeping some of the divers away from the island. I would hate for it to become another site like many I have been to where the reefs become beaten and abused by the divers that come. Right now (or pre-OMAR) the reefs were wonderful and healthy as were the fish. Too many divers will kill that quickly.

Amen. As will the current increase in cruise ship traffic, with all the new istant divers that industry encourages, and the recent increase in construction of new condo units. Too many poeple is the reef's worst enemy. If anything we should be talking UP the crime wave, and encouraging everyone we can to go elsewhere! :D

Light goes on! :shocked2: :confused::

(Maybe THAT explains some of the seemingly rabid bashing! Protecting their own secret investments?! And trying to keep the best diving for themselves! :wink: )
Hey, we are entitled to our own conspiracy theories too :D :mooner:

And rightly so. Who can relax in the water when you have a high probablity of getting your rental truck broken into? According to some in this thread, it's your own fault and lack of comon sense when and IF you get robbed on Bonaire.:shakehead:

I'll take my dive dollars elsewhere as long as nothing is done about the ongoing theft problem on Bonaire.

First, remember that 79.34% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Second perception is reality.

A group of us for years have thought about going to Bonaire but the constant stories about thefts and the indifference of the local "authorities" have made us go elsewhere. Bonaire is losing out on a lot of tourist money and trashing their reputation.

You give them WAY too much credit.

Hey, I am forever the optimist. Always looking for a spark of good, or a bit of intelligent thought process in even the least likely of candidates! :D

So, no need to dispute the statistical accuracy of a poll with 35 votes. It is only an indicator (at least in my opinion).

Oh, when it works to reenforce your rosy picture it's fine and accurate but the minute it shows what most of us know to be the truth, a higher than normal incidence of crime on Bonaire, you feel it's just an indicator and not really accurate? :laughing:

Okay I admit that something was stolen out of my luggage on my way to Bonaire. Did it happen on Bonaire. Really doubt that. Did it happen in Newark--BINGO. So don't fly through NEWARK-there are thieves working there. Well real lesson for me is watch what I pack versus carry on. Is that fair NO but its real. yes I will most likely fly through Newark again. but always try to minimize that possibility if I can for many reasons. theft actually being down on the list of reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom