Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh yeah, not a hint of self service in your input. Totally unbiased, right?:rofl3::rofl3:

Vince offered up his bias up front but I suppose that automatically means he lied in your eyes?

Are these "voters" from Bonaire, own a biz there, run tours there etc? Oh, wait, you really don't know that, right? So, we realloy don't know how accurate that is, right?
I know at least one voter who has no financial or property interest in Bonaire - me - my only interest is in an accurate picture of the place. Based on my, and my companions' experience, I believe your view is skewed well away from the truth.
The vote now represents a minimum 105 theft-free Bonaire visits to 1 with a theft. Whether someone has a financial interest in Bonaire or not is irrelevant to the question - thieves are generally equal opportunity operators, stealing when they have an opportunity. I doubt many check the interests and financial ties of the victim first.
If you think someone's lying in the poll there ain't much I can do for you, but the truth is that Bonaire, though not crime free, ain't near as "crime-ridden" as you think.
Rick

So far;
Never in 1 - 3 visits ---------------------------- 11----- 44.00%
Never in 4 - 6 visits ------------------------------6------ 24.00%
Never in 7 - 10 visits ---------------------------- 2 ----- 8.00%
Never in more than 10 visits --------------------- 5-------20.00%
Yes. once in one visit --------------------------- 0--------0%
Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits --------------------------1-------4.00%
Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits ------------------------- 0-------0%
Yes. once in 7-10 visits -------------------------- 0-------0%
Yes. once in more than 10 visits ------------------ 0 -------0%
Yes. more than once on a single visit -------------- 0 -------0%
Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits --------------0 --------0%
Yes. more than once in over 10 visits ------------- 0 --------0%

That is one incident in over 100, and maybe way over 100 visits, as I read this poll. This poll is open to any SB member, and sure there is no guarantee that everyone is telling the truth, but a MUCH clearer picture is emerging, as no one is being asked to identify themself and can only vote once. :popcorn:

Last edited:
I am glad you are seeing the pattern..........

I have only been there once, but I have several friends who have been there dozens of times total. Not one has ever had anything stolen more than a towel left in vehicle.

All but a couple people in this thread knew of the patern long before this thread ever started. There seem to be a couple of people with hidden interests and adgendas that want to ignore the pattern....other than that we all see it.

I also find it interesting that there has been 294 replies on this thread and only 32 votes cast.

The poll just got added yesterday (maybe the day before) and most people tired of the fanaticism before that.

I also find it interesting that there has been 294 replies on this thread and only 32 votes cast.

The poll just got added yesterday (maybe the day before) and most people tired of the fanaticism before that.

As Steve said, there were 272 posts, before this became a poll:

post #272:
Maybe somebody should post a poll asking people who have been to bonaire if they had a crime free vacation, something stolen from their car that was of some value, something stolen out of their car that was of no value, had their gas stolen, had a break in when they where out, had a break in when they where in, ...

post #273
Ask and so shall it be :)
Rick

and it came to pass that this thread is NOW a poll, at post #273, but not before that point :popcorn:
Does that help?

I hate to say it but using the poll numbers as of today and doing some statistical analysis coupled with probabilities the number are ugly.

Using those numbers there is a 3% statistical chance of being the victim of a crime on a 1 week stay on the island.

Doesn't sound too bad, except this is based on an exposure of 7 days (or a 1 week vacation on average)

You have to now convert this exposure to 52 times this to an annual number which brings the true number to 11% chance of being a victim of a crime. This shows the real number.

The numbers show its a higher than normal percentage of crime statistically lowered by low frequency of exposure. Increasing the exposure shows how what seems like a low percentage is actually an abnormally high one.

But what the hell do I know?

I don't have a dog in the fight but just like to have the facts acurately portrayed and then lets have the debate be based on the facts.

First, remember that 79.34% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Second perception is reality.

A group of us for years have thought about going to Bonaire but the constant stories about thefts and the indifference of the local "authorities" have made us go elsewhere. Bonaire is losing out on a lot of tourist money and trashing their reputation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom