Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, I am forever the optimist. Always looking for a spark of good, or a bit of intelligent thought process in even the least likely of candidates! :D

and that's why you take an arm full of anti theft devices and room alarm systems with you when you go to Bonaire?:rofl3::rofl3:

Oh, when it works to reenforce your rosy picture it's fine and accurate but the minute it shows what most of us know to be the truth, a higher than normal incidence of crime on Bonaire, you feel it's just an indicator and not really accurate? :laughing:

Actually PF, REALITY paints my rosy picture and supports my logic. This POLL was for your benefit :wink:.

So far 14.29% have been crime victims on Bonaire, in this very unscientific poll. That's high. That's a lot of ruined vacations.

And seriously, I would expect a much higher proportion of victims, than non victims, to be anxious to tell their stories.

It only stands to reason that crime victims would wish to share, and warn others. A VICTIM has a lot more motivation to participate, and be heard, than most viewers who probably just pass over this thread casually, and move on.

And then there is that other group you so rabidly attack, as having nefarious economic motives for poo poo-ing any such info. You know, those conspirators you are so vocal about. :idk:

and that's why you take an arm full of anti theft devices and room alarm systems with you when you go to Bonaire?:rofl3::rofl3:

Simple caution and precautions, that one should take anywhere they travel have always been enough for us.

But having said that, I read the recent post on SB, of the burglary of an occupied condo on Curacao, and it has had me thinking about such crimes. It is amazing how people tend to rely on the existing locks on rental units for security, and seldom think too hard about who might also have keys. No matter where one travels it is always a good idea to use security devices, such as existing security latches, or chains on doors at night, (or something as simple as two glasses stacked so they will topple and break if a door is opened) as well as securing windows and sliding doors, so that they can not be opened form the outside while we are sleeping.
This is what happened in the Curacao incident, they think. Some one had access to keys, because on exit they relocked what ever entrance they used, to hide their methods.

One need not go to extremes, but no matter where you are you need to be aware of your surroundings, and take some responsibility for your own personal safety. Crime everywhere is usually an act of opportunity, and if you make things look more risky to the creeps, they tend to look elsewhere.

Me???? :D I just like :popcorn:

I don't know Steve, maybe he is right, and you own half the condos on Bonaire, plus an interest in the cruise ship industry, and this is all your conspiracy to trick us into stepping into your trap. :popcorn: :eyebrow:

If so can you get me a "friends of Steve" discount?

So far 14.29% have been crime victims on Bonaire, in this very unscientific poll. That's high. That's a lot of ruined vacations.

You misinterpret again...
only 5 crimes have been reported over at least 152 visits (could be more) you have to count every visit separately.
Still, I'm not saying that this is science... 35 votes is not significant. Nowhere in the questions is stipulated how long these visits were, where people stayed, what measures they took to prevent theft...
You also need to take into account that some people are more eager to vote than others... (have you voted for example? What did you vote? Have you ever been there?)

But still it looks like the posts depicting Bonaire as a crime paradise have been highly exaggerated. Otherwise we would have higher numbers...

5 theft incidents in a minimum of 203 theft-free trips, a rate of less than 2.5% per trip. I don't know how many shore dives the average diver makes per visit (I usually get in about 24 in a week there), but even if the average is only 10 shore dives a visit that'd drive the percentage of shore dives with a theft incident way down, to less than one theft per 400 shore dives. Still too high, but I suspect about average - maybe even better - for shore-dive sites worldwide.
Rick

How is toursit retaliation looked upon on the island? If I lay in wait in the brush and baby seal club one of these petty thieves will the dutch government give me a medal or stick me in prison and throw away the key?

What if they never find the body?

lhan90l.jpg

You misinterpret again...
only 5 crimes have been reported over at least 152 visits (could be more) you have to count every visit separately.
Still, I'm not saying that this is science... 35 votes is not significant. Nowhere in the questions is stipulated how long these visits were, where people stayed, what measures they took to prevent theft...
You also need to take into account that some people are more eager to vote than others... (have you voted for example? What did you vote? Have you ever been there?)

But still it looks like the posts depicting Bonaire as a crime paradise have been highly exaggerated. Otherwise we would have higher numbers...

Adaveke you are so right.The pool only shows 10 or more visits.I have been to the island a minimum of 30 times.So giving an conservative average of 20 dives per visit,that brings it up to a minimum of 600 crime free dives there for myself.Oh,and that does not count the dives my wife made or any of the other people ithat maybe in my group.
You are more likely to be a victim of crime commited by a fellow tourist on the island who is staying at your resort than a local.
Its the tourist who steals someones pocessions as a crime of opportunity--the victim carelessly left their whatever lying around because they are in a hurry to get lunch/get a drink at the bar/whatever it is, and because the criminal tourist's are leaving usually that day or very soon and will be off the island the criminal tourist just picks it up and walks away with it.

Back
Top Bottom