Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Pilot Fish I do believe them. But what I accept that you cannot seem to is that there are way more people that do NOT get robbed or experience petty theft on the island. I am one of those people as are all of my friends that have gone. I have read the account by others and believe those things happened. I have always said I believe they happen. It is just not as dire as you make it out to be. The problem exists....YES. Little seems to be done to correct it....YES (that we can see anyways). But the number of people that come and go and have no negative experiences still exponentially outnumbers those that do IMO. Remember that human nature is to complain when things go wrong and say nothing when they go right.

I agree that a problem exists but stand by all my arguments that the same problems (or different problems) exist in every place in the world. No place is free of crime.....vacation spot or otherwise.

I strongly object to the false and dangerous view that Bonaire is a safe and sleepy little island and the only way you are going to be robbed is if YOU, the tourist, does not use common sense. That is a false impression. It's because you don't recognize the problem and demand action to correct it that there is an ongoing problem on Bonaire. Again, it does not happen on Grand Turk, Saba or Coz

"the central bureau of statistics (CBS Amsterdam) reported zero Theft from car crimes for the year 2006. That has to tell you how reliable and accurate their reporting is."

(^PF post #91)

"Statistical Info: Justice and Security

Justice and Security
W2. Number of crimes reported to the police, Bonaire and St. Maarten
Bonaire St. Maarten
2003 2004 2006 2003 2004 2005
Extortion (incl. with use of fire arms) . 1 22 21 30
Threat (with use of fire arms) 1 1 7 81 124 137
Incendiarism 1 3 2 5
Theft with violence . 9 14 165 201 226
Qualified theft . 5 2 1086 573 1046
Theft from car . 0
Stock theft
Murder/Homicide . 2 15 11 5
Theft 10 5 1 397 394 489
Abuse 4 1 111 121
Receiving .
Import false money . 1
Abuse with weapon 4 10 5 97 103
Public violence . 2 18 22 39
Swindling . 3 1 15 27 23
Murder/Homicide attempt . 14 8 2 11 9
Forgery . 4 4
Vandalism 1 106 115 155
Embezzlement 1 17 19 17
Fire arm decree . 3 1 13
Arm decree . 1
Offences against morality 11 4 1 19 52 26
Other crimes 35 68 50 23 21 21"

(^PF post#95)

Ignoring the fact that "theft" is an all inclusive category, and in no way shows that theft from cars is ignored, but is not recorded and reported as a separate form of crime.

When it comes to Bonaire there really is just one safe choice - stay at a resort. Staying at a Condo you have the risk of break-ins, that have been widely reported to occur on Bonaire, theft of the tires from your rental car, theft of gas from your rental, theft of the battery from your rental, all of which means you have to pay the $500 deductable, or portion thereof. The list goes on. What are the police and Bonaire Gov doing to assure visoirs, that spend lots of money there, the protection from these crimes? ZIP, nothing, zilch!

Maybe you own rental property or a car agency there, have friends that do, whatever, I have zero association there. I just want to advise and protect divers from the ongoing scam on Bonaire. It isn't fair that nothing is being done.

In part this article states:
" BONHATA (Bonaire Hotel and Tourism Association) estimates that approximately $1 million per year as been lost over the last 3-5 years due to the problem of petty crime on Bonaire. These crimes reflect not only losses to the victims themselves, but losses to every inhabitant of Bonaire through not only lost income from tourists alone, but also lost income to businesses through lost job positions and wages as well. There is also another loss that can't be measured in dollars or guilders…the loss of an image of what was once a quiet, peaceful paradise where one could leave their windows open at night in order to enjoy the constant cooling trade winds. Will we ever be able to reclaim that image….?
The majority of these crimes, according to Chief of Police Gerald Daantje, are being committed by juveniles. One of the main problems is that there are no consequences to committing crime on Bonaire if you are a juvenile. Once a juvenile is arrested, he or she may only be held in custody for 6 hours, then released. If their case goes to court and they are convicted, the worst that happens is they may end up doing some sort of community service…no incarceration at all as Bonaire has no separate juvenile holding facilities for punishment nor rehabilitation…in other words…no consequences for the juveniles nor for their parents.

BONHATA feels that this must be addressed immediately and drastically, before the very reason we spent so much money in infrastructure improvements at the airport and getting more airlift to the island, our tourists, simply do not come to Bonaire anymore due to the crime.
The problem with this type of crime is not limited to the tourism sector alone…it occurs frequently in the barios and neighborhoods as well and affects everyone. The times for words are over…the time for action is now. With elections very near, let's hear what is being planned on the issue of crime and more specifically, juvenile crime. The cost of juvenile crime is becoming unaffordable for our island."

It seems that Bonaire citizens, business owners and Police are not only aware of the problem, and it's possible impact on their reputation and tourist industry; there are continuing efforts to address and solve this crime. And contrary to claims, this is published and publicly accessible information, as the above article posted earlier in this thread by ncchuck, and the above public multi-year (@2003-2006) crime records show.

First of all, you are comparing apples and oranges. I agree that petty theft may be higher on Bonaire but you are comparing two very different places and styles of vacationing. However your statement that this does not happen in those other places is complete BS. There are thefts on Coz....just not fuel or gas caps because people do not rent vehicles and leave them on remote parts of the island. The thefts tend to be much more than petty in these places. I travelled to Coz4 years ago and was on a dive boat with a couple from Washington who lost dive gear (plus other stuff) to a robber....and from their room.....they were diving rental gear because of it.....does that mean that we should all ban Coz as well? And I can guarantee that crime happens on the other islands as well. I travelled to Providenciales and did not hear of any theft but did not feel comfortable walking off the resort in the dark. FWIW, I never had an issue walking in the dark on Boanaire. I was personally robbed in Playa Del Carmen.....they only got $20 but hey.....that is more than I paid for the Tshirt and flip flops that I leave in the truck on Boanire that have never been stolen. And my prescription glasses/sunglasses are worth MUCH more than that and they have never been stolen with the windows wide open and the doors unlocked.

Nowhere is safe and free from crime. No matter how hard you try to turn people against Bonaire, crime happens everywhere. If any person cannot accept that then I suggest a bigger bath tub to dive in.

The point that you are confusing is that it is NOT the same on any, every, Caribe Island. No place in the Caribe, except Jamacia, does it happened with that frequentcy

:popcorn: Just posting such a wild bit of misinformation on the internet does not make it true.

:shakehead: :idk:

What is behind your personal vendetta against Bonaire?

How much does a sherpa cost on Bonaire? Helps you take all your gear to the water and bring it back to the truck. Watches the truck while you are in the water. Gets paid upon return if everything is still in place. Just a thought. Havn't been there yet, but soon I hope.

How much does a sherpa cost on Bonaire? Helps you take all your gear to the water and bring it back to the truck. Watches the truck while you are in the water. Gets paid upon return if everything is still in place. Just a thought. Havn't been there yet, but soon I hope.

Be smart and leave only that which would be OK to lose in the truck and keep the rest in your room or on your person....kind of like most people do at home or elsewhere. I have 2 trips to Bonaire this way and never an issue. Do not let the Anti-Bonaire fanatics scare you away. Know what the possible issues are, plan accordingly and enjoy. It is unlikely that you will become one of the statistics tha some people refuse to show.....it is more likely that you will be one of the tens of thousands (a guess only) of travellers that come and go each year and never have an issue.

The point that you are confusing is that it is NOT the same on any, every, Caribe Island. No place in the Caribe, except Jamacia, does it happened with that frequentcy and divers know to avoid that place. Divers don't go to Jamacia. No one bothers any of the rental cars on Coz, Mex. There is a safe place for the rentals to park at the resort I stay at and it is monitored by hotel security.

What I'm saying Adaveke is that it is already a proven fact, from all the reports by divers, that you are exposing yourself to a high degree of risk when you stay at a condo and rent a vehicle on Bonaire. Who needs that grief? That's not a relaxing vacation. That does not happen in Coz.

With all the money spent each year on Bonaire by divers, you'd think that some of that money got ear marked for security of the people and their property that are the financial life's blood of that island? It's outrageous that it keeps happening and they do nothing about it. It is even more outrageous that some divers keep going back, ignoring all the warnings, to play Bonaire Roulette. Why spend your hard earned money on island that shows no respect for you? Makes little sense.

I know there is some risk. I took the same risk on other vacations. I'm not looking for a relaxing vacation. I'm looking for an experience. I'll take relaxing vacations when I'm retired. Right now I want to experience the world and not be locked away behind bars and guards thank you very much.

I strongly object to the false and dangerous view that Bonaire is a safe and sleepy little island and the only way you are going to be robbed is if YOU, the tourist, does not use common sense. That is a false impression. It's because you don't recognize the problem and demand action to correct it that there is an ongoing problem on Bonaire. Again, it does not happen on Grand Turk, Saba or Coz

Nobody stated that it is a safe and sleepy little Island (or am I missing a post?).
Everybody has already stated that they aknowledge that there is crime on Bonaire.
On my last trip to Cuba, our car got vandalized in the south-east part of the country (the brand was removed with a screw driver). Nothing was stolen from the car (because there was nothing in it probably). But I would not have wanted another type of vacation. I got to meet some very nice and warm people and got to see loads of stuff the resort dweller never sees.

I'm not condemming your search for peace and quiet, but it's just not what I'm looking for. I'll happily take some risk in order to experience things that others might not. Our time on this earth is too short to be scared of all the stuff that might happen to you. That's my look on life.

"Statistical Info: Justice and Security

W2. Number of crimes reported to the police, Bonaire and St. Maarten
Bonaire St. Maarten
2003 2004 2006 2003 2004 2005

Offences against morality 11 4 1 19 52 26

Intriguing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom