Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PF, I see why you don't like the island! Never mind! Your a lost cause, even basic reading and comprehension, so now I understand! And yes you have to buy your own GAS, it is not free!

Cable (Harbor Freight): $9.95
Lock any hardware: $12.95
Wheel locks: Ebay : $5.00
Locking Gas Cap: $12.95

Peace of Mind? Priceless!

I get it! It was too hard for you to look up, but hey you can keep it all for the next safe trip!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ok. This thread has degenerated into a good old fashioned flame war. I deleted 53 posts starting a couple of days ago and climaxing with almost all of the posts from the last 18 hours being removed.

I'll open the thread again but the personal attacks stop.

From here on in it's zero tolerance. If anyone attacks you then REPORT it and don't respond. Those doing the attacking will gain an immediate thread ban.

Thread re-opened

Last edited:
As you can see from the other Bonaire thread, the OP cites that his gas was stolen even with the gas cap on the tank. So, how is that a help? Also, his neighbor on Boniare had all four tires stolen from his vehicle. How do you protect against that? That is not stress free, I have to tell you.

PF, I see why you don't like the island! Never mind! Your a lost cause, even basic reading and comprehension, so now I understand! And yes you have to buy your own GAS, it is not free!

Cable (Harbor Freight): $9.95
Lock any hardware: $12.95
Wheel locks: Ebay : $5.00
Locking Gas Cap: $12.95

Peace of Mind? Priceless!

I get it! It was too hard for you to look up, but hey you can keep it all for the next safe trip!

You have to ask yourself, why an island that claims to be the shore diving capital of the Caribe, does nothing to protect divers rental cars? With the Bonaire price of gas, stealing gas is no longer petty. Stolen tires too. When you have to pay the $500 deductable, do you think that's Ok too? That's stress free diving? I don't think so.

Diving from a boat, at a resort, seems less stressful than the Bonaire Roulette some people play. Who needs a vacation ruine,r or interruption?

Well PF, simply put... Bonaire has the best shore diving of any place in the entire Caribbean. Depends what you like to do.

As far as hoops, between you and me there are many more hoops to jump through at our airports than anything I've ever encountered on Bonaire. But as a property owner I guess you will view my postings as prejudiced. But there are very valid reasons why I chose Bonaire for an investment! Very much looking forward to our return trip in less than 30 days!:D

You have to ask yourself, why an island that claims to be the shore diving capital of the Caribe, does nothing to protect divers rental cars? With the Bonaire price of gas, stealing gas is no longer petty. Stolen tires too. When you have to pay the $500 deductable, do you think that's Ok too? That's stress free diving? I don't think so.

Diving from a boat, at a resort, seems less stressful than the Bonaire Roulette some people play. Who needs a vacation ruine,r or interruption?

Now we are where we're supposed to be.
It's actually a difference in liking, isn't it.
You are advertising a different sort of vacation.
You like the big resorts with all the luxuries, three guided dives a day (maybe a shore dive in front of the resort), eating at the buffet at set times? The nice relaxing vacation. Tell me if I'm wrong.
I do see the attraction in these things, did a vacation in that style in the Maldives.

But I prefer a vacation without set meal times, where I can do what I want whenever I want. I don't like to be on a boat with other tourists or in a resort full of loud tourists. I don't want to see any fellow countrymen that just need to bond because we come from the same country. I like to pick up a car and wander on my holidays. I like to mingle with locals and I like my hotels to be small with a local feel (if possible I like to stay with locals). You know get to feel the culture and stuff.

So, the boat dives from any resort are safer than the shore diving anywhere in the world. But since I prefer to be on my own pace without the set times of a dive op and without their planning on where I should go, I am willing to put up with the fact that I will need to rinse my own suit and that things can go wrong with my rental vehicle since I chose to leave it for hours on end on a deserted road.

You however like the resort feeling and having the boat pick you up and drop you back off where you started.
Nothing wrong with either vision, just different.

When it comes to Bonaire there really is just one safe choice - stay at a resort. Staying at a Condo you have the risk of break-ins, that have been widely reported to occur on Bonaire, theft of the tires from your rental car, theft of gas from your rental, theft of the battery from your rental, all of which means you have to pay the $500 deductable, or portion thereof. The list goes on. What are the police and Bonaire Gov doing to assure visoirs, that spend lots of money there, the protection from these crimes? ZIP, nothing, zilch!

Maybe you own rental property or a car agency there, have friends that do, whatever, I have zero association there. I just want to advise and protect divers from the ongoing scam on Bonaire. It isn't fair that nothing is being done.

Now we are where we're supposed to be.
It's actually a difference in liking, isn't it.
You are advertising a different sort of vacation.
You like the big resorts with all the luxuries, three guided dives a day (maybe a shore dive in front of the resort), eating at the buffet at set times? The nice relaxing vacation. Tell me if I'm wrong.
I do see the attraction in these things, did a vacation in that style in the Maldives.

But I prefer a vacation without set meal times, where I can do what I want whenever I want. I don't like to be on a boat with other tourists or in a resort full of loud tourists. I don't want to see any fellow countrymen that just need to bond because we come from the same country. I like to pick up a car and wander on my holidays. I like to mingle with locals and I like my hotels to be small with a local feel (if possible I like to stay with locals). You know get to feel the culture and stuff.

So, the boat dives from any resort are safer than the shore diving anywhere in the world. But since I prefer to be on my own pace without the set times of a dive op and without their planning on where I should go, I am willing to put up with the fact that I will need to rinse my own suit and that things can go wrong with my rental vehicle since I chose to leave it for hours on end on a deserted road.

You however like the resort feeling and having the boat pick you up and drop you back off where you started.
Nothing wrong with either vision, just different.

When it comes to Bonaire there really is just one safe choice - stay at a resort. Staying at a Condo you have the risk of break-ins, that have been widely reported to occur on Bonaire, theft of the tires from your rental car, theft of gas from your rental, theft of the battery from your rental, all of which means you have to pay the $500 deductable, or portion thereof. The list goes on. What are the police and Bonaire Gov doing to assure visoirs, that spend lots of money there, the protection from these crimes? ZIP, nothing, zilch!

Maybe you own rental property or a car agency there, have friends that do, whatever, I have zero association there. I just want to advise and protect divers from the ongoing scam on Bonaire. It isn't fair that nothing is being done.

Ok, but that's the same everywhere I want to take this type of fly 'n drive holidays.
I've been to Cuba three times. Well let me tell you it's safer to stay in a resort, but it's not the same experience. I can honestly say that I've lived Cuba and now I want to live Bonaire.
So let's just agree to disagree.

It's good that people are informed that crime does exist on any Island they want to take their holiday. But in the end it's up to the person who is taking the vacation to decide what kind of vacation he wants. And I agree with you 100%, if you want your vacation to be relatively risk free, book a resort. If you want it to be completely risk free, look for one of those bounty type of Islands with no locals and only a resort on it.

The point that you are confusing is that it is NOT the same on any, every, Caribe Island. No place in the Caribe, except Jamacia, does it happened with that frequentcy and divers know to avoid that place. Divers don't go to Jamacia. No one bothers any of the rental cars on Coz, Mex. There is a safe place for the rentals to park at the resort I stay at and it is monitored by hotel security.

What I'm saying Adaveke is that it is already a proven fact, from all the reports by divers, that you are exposing yourself to a high degree of risk when you stay at a condo and rent a vehicle on Bonaire. Who needs that grief? That's not a relaxing vacation. That does not happen in Coz.

With all the money spent each year on Bonaire by divers, you'd think that some of that money got ear marked for security of the people and their property that are the financial life's blood of that island? It's outrageous that it keeps happening and they do nothing about it. It is even more outrageous that some divers keep going back, ignoring all the warnings, to play Bonaire Roulette. Why spend your hard earned money on island that shows no respect for you? Makes little sense.

Ok, but that's the same everywhere I want to take this type of fly 'n drive holidays.
I've been to Cuba three times. Well let me tell you it's safer to stay in a resort, but it's not the same experience. I can honestly say that I've lived Cuba and now I want to live Bonaire.
So let's just agree to disagree.

It's good that people are informed that crime does exist on any Island they want to take their holiday. But in the end it's up to the person who is taking the vacation to decide what kind of vacation he wants. And I agree with you 100%, if you want your vacation to be relatively risk free, book a resort. If you want it to be completely risk free, look for one of those bounty type of Islands with no locals and only a resort on it.

What does

it is already a proven fact, from all the reports by divers, that you are exposing yourself to a high degree of risk

mean anyways? It is just a bunch of words thrown together by somebody with an Anti-Bonaire agenda that means absolutely nothing unless backed by data which they are incapable of providing. Yes there are reports. Does that constitute a high degree of risk? No. It constitutes a risk.....to say high risk without supporting it with hard data is being ridiculous.

Why do you think the Gov and police of Bonaire provide no reports of the many crimes committed agaist tourists?:eyebrow: Do you not belive all the accounts of crime reported on this and other boards? Do you not believe all the accounts of crime you hear about on Bonaire when you go diving in other places?:shakehead:

What does
mean anyways? It is just a bunch of words thrown together by somebody with an Anti-Bonaire agenda that means absolutely nothing unless backed by data which they are incapable of providing. Yes there are reports. Does that constitute a high degree of risk? No. It constitutes a risk.....to say high risk without supporting it with hard data is being ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom