Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we have gotten off topic:D - I though the thread was to relate to just Buddy Dive - as a whole I am guessing that resort is pretty safe.

.....it may be a little unorthodox, but if I go diving anywhere that has something of a reputation for crime, I'll bring my 'sacrifice gear'......meaning an older/cheaper back up BC/ lower end reg-computer set/ etc.....so if anything DOES happen, it won't be quite as financially severe a consequence....shore diving is already pretty severe on gear, more wear-an-tear...so I'm not trashin' my nice toyz...those are reserved for liveaboards/day boats where my gear is safe.

usually they are not after your dive gear........

Man if they can steal your gear while your diving with it! They deserve it and a free Big Mac! 98% of the crime is breaking into you vehicle while parked at the dive site!

Several posters have offered advice to "use common sense" or "don't do anything you wouldn't do at home". After five trips to Buddy Dive in Bonaire, I've developed a different perspective. When it comes to theft prevention, what passes for common sense in the US is not the same as in Bonaire. I've left tanks and towels in trucks at shore diving sites many times and no one has ever touched them. I always leave my dive gear in Buddy's dock-side or drive-through lock-ups and never had a problem. But someone broke into our truck in Buddy's parking lot and took a baggie containing kleenex and ear drops out of the glove compartment. Another time, I left my very old, very well-worn flip-flops outside of my door to dry. The next morning they were gone. :shakehead:

Is there no end to the hoops that travelers have to jump through in order to dive Bonaire? You are willing to sacrifice some degree of safety and dive with backup gear, rather than your good gear that will keep you safer on a dive? Add that to the anti theft lug nuts you have to take, to keep them from stealing your tires, the old ratty tee shirt you leave behind, your glasses, you have to leave behind, the anti theft gas cap, so they won't steal your gas and a picture emerges that, for most same folks, tells you all that makes shore diving on Bonaire not the best choice.:shakehead:

.....it may be a little unorthodox, but if I go diving anywhere that has something of a reputation for crime, I'll bring my 'sacrifice gear'......meaning an older/cheaper back up BC/ lower end reg-computer set/ etc.....so if anything DOES happen, it won't be quite as financially severe a consequence....shore diving is already pretty severe on gear, more wear-an-tear...so I'm not trashin' my nice toyz...those are reserved for liveaboards/day boats where my gear is safe.

Are you going to get back to us on the cost of the anti theft lug nuts, anti theft battery clamps and anti theft gas cap, thier combined weight also, so we can see if it is cost effective for all the hoops you have to jump through on Bonaire? Is worth it, really?

Google it yourself, or visit an auto parts store - If you can find one in a safe neighborhood....

for all the hoops you have to jump through on Bonaire? Is worth it, really?

Well PF, simply put... Bonaire has the best shore diving of any place in the entire Caribbean. Depends what you like to do.

As far as hoops, between you and me there are many more hoops to jump through at our airports than anything I've ever encountered on Bonaire. But as a property owner I guess you will view my postings as prejudiced. But there are very valid reasons why I chose Bonaire for an investment! Very much looking forward to our return trip in less than 30 days!:D

Disclaimer duly noted.

Well PF, simply put... Bonaire has the best shore diving of any place in the entire Caribbean. Depends what you like to do.

As far as hoops, between you and me there are many more hoops to jump through at our airports than anything I've ever encountered on Bonaire. But as a property owner I guess you will view my postings as prejudiced. But there are very valid reasons why I chose Bonaire for an investment! Very much looking forward to our return trip in less than 30 days!:D

What's not fair is the singling out of Bonaire for disdain and finger-pointing when the "problem" is just as prevalent everywhere else in the world, including the finger-pointers' own back yards.
Rick

The petty crime on Bonaire could be so easily reduced, that it's a shame that a place such as Bonaire with so much going for it would allow a mnor irritation like this to survive and risk festering into a major problem.

I'm surprised no local enterprising extortionists haven't figure out a cottage industry awaits to be born of offering protection from themselves to the divers for a few bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom