Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not available? Car theft crimes not available? Just how dumb do you think we are?:rofl3::rofl3:

well in your case... let's say that I've made my mind up :)
After all you are claiming that you don't believe in a published peer reviewed study...

The fact that these police figures (so we're not talking about the CBS study anymore) are not available for 2006 can have a few reasons:
1/ they weren't logged in 2006
2/ they weren't logged as separate theft cases, but just thrown on the pile of theft
3/ they weren't reported
4/ a computer crash
5/ ...

Our professor at university always said not to trust police figures, since they never where complete and since they are not meant to be used by scientific studies but for legal purposes. From a legal point of view, theft from a car does not exists, legally it's just theft.

Furthermore I just want to state that I don't own any property on the Island, I'm going there for the very first time in March (for three weeks) and after all these reports (by a few people) on SB I got interested in the case and did some research.
My conclusion is: there is crime, just as that would be anywhere else. But perhaps not even as much as some other places I've been in my life.

Like some others have stated before, we are not going to convince each other, but if people are willing to make up their mind in an informed way, I hope they find a bit of help in the facts and figures.
Otherwise, lots of other places to go in the world. :wink:

Furthermore I just want to state that I don't own any property on the Island, I'm going there for the very first time in March (for three weeks) and after all these reports (by a few people) on SB I got interested in the case and did some research.
My conclusion is: there is crime, just as that would be anywhere else. But perhaps not even as much as some other places I've been in my life.

Adaveke..All you need to do is use common sense and follow the simple suggestions previously outlined at the dive sites and you'll do just fine! Enjoy your first trip to beautiful Bonaire and be sure to post a trip report when you return. After three weeks on the island you'll realize how silly some of these postings and posters are!

I have been to Bonaire either 8 or 9 times and never had a problem of any sort with crime. I did, however, experience what I consider to be an Alien abduction one night. Not sure really. I woke up one morning and couldn't really remember the night before. I think I was abducted but my friends with me swear it was because of the vast amount of alcohol I drank. I guess we'll never know. :confused:

It is still a serious and onging problem. You have to ask yourself, if an island prides itself on the ease of shore diving, and it's what makes them different than other island, don't you think they should pay more attention to safety in that particular area
and protect divers rental vehicles? How damn simple is that? Do you realize the kind of money that island makes off divers? Don't you think they should better protect their income source? AND YOU DIVERS KEEP GOING, KEEP SPENDING YOUR HARD EARNED CASH, KEEP GETTING YOUR GEAR STOLEN AND THE POLICE AND BONAIRE GOV DOESN'T DO DIDDLEY TO PROTECT YOU.:shocked2:

This argument has been going on for several years. I made an earlier post about my experiences but no one has denied these things happened.
1. The local radio station ran a talk show for several days discussing the serious problem of theft from autos scuba divers. (8 or 9 years ago).
2. There was actually a bus divers could follow around that guarded your equipment while you were diving.
Maybe things have improved but it's undeniable that theft of gear from cars/trucks was a serious issue several years ago. Are all the past reports by divers "lies". Point us to other forums where there are dozens of reports of theft from a tiny island with only a few hundred divers (at most) on it at one time.
I have been to Bonaire 3 times with no problems personally. I've read others indicate they have been there 20 times or more without incident. That's terrific but it is by no means a valid indicator that there is no problem. I've never been shot or robbed in my 65 years in the USA but we all know murder and theft exists. Some of you seem to indicate that the rates are higher in the US but those statistics include the entire population and not just visitors.
Is Bonaire safe to walk the streets? Absolutely yes. Are the resorts safe. I think so. Are cars/trucks safe? I don't know buy I do know I never leave my car windows down and car unlocked in the USA. In fact, you'd get a warning for doing that in many towns. It's a crazy solution.
Does anyone have factual information regarding the laws regarding theft by minors on Bonaire?

Actually it is NOT a good point made by Adevek, since it cannot be verified and the survey is not independent and is self serving.

Good point. If the government would like better information, perhaps they should hand out crime survey forms as you arrive, and collect them on departure! However, I think that they already have a good understanding.

That Island is great, use common sense and you are fine. I have been there 3times without any problems.

how about the "police" and Bonaire Gov use comon sense and make the island free from criminals preying on divers?:shakehead:

Oh, puh llllllllllllllllllllleeze:rofl3: Peer review, independent, not self serving? ha ha ha Maybe that baloney works in Edamville but not here:rofl3::rofl3:

After all you are claiming that you don't believe in a published peer reviewed study...

The fact that these police figures (so we're not talking about the CBS study anymore) are not available for 2006 can have a few reasons:
1/ they weren't logged in 2006
2/ they weren't logged as separate theft cases, but just thrown on the pile of theft
3/ they weren't reported
4/ a computer crash
5/ ...

Our professor at university always said not to trust police figures, since they never where complete and since they are not meant to be used by scientific studies but for legal purposes. From a legal point of view, theft from a car does not exists, legally it's just theft.

Like some others have stated before, we are not going to convince each other, but if people are willing to make up their mind in an informed way, I hope they find a bit of help in the facts and figures.

divervince, the Bonaire landlord:rofl3::rofl3: gives his "unbiased" report on crime:wink: Can we say transparent? I thought so.

Adaveke..All you need to do is use common sense and follow the simple suggestions previously outlined at the dive sites and you'll do just fine! Enjoy your first trip to beautiful Bonaire and be sure to post a trip report when you return. After three weeks on the island you'll realize how silly some of these postings and posters are!

Pilot Fish--
I'd like to invite you to join us to dive here in South Florida, at our fine dive under the Blue Heron Bridge. You'll see incredible things and great diversity. Feel free to leave your valuables in plain sight in your car.
Let me know what you find when you return to your car---Blue Heron is situated in one of the most blighted neighborhoods in the entire county. Right here in the good ole USofA.

And, as a plus, while you're at it, if you try just a little harder, you can find a companion for an hour or so (for a fee), and a little chemical pick-me-up (also for a fee). I've yet to encounter either of those in Bonaire.

In other words--I treat that dive exactly the same as I treat dives in Bonaire--basic common sense. Theives have got basic observational skills in understanding that an unattended car that will be left completely alone for 1-2 hours has opportunities for their gain.
As I'm sure others have said, stealing from an unparked, unattended car is a crime of opportunity---and, Bonaire has significantly more opportunities than the average tourist destination. Add to that that the dive areas encompass almost the ENTIRE coastline of an entire country, and a limited police force/funding, they can only prevent so much. Giving clear messages to their visitors on how to keep the crime from occurring in the first place seems a reasonable conclusion to me.

As I'm sure others have said, stealing from an unparked, unattended car is a crime of opportunity---and, Bonaire has significantly more opportunities than the average tourist destination. Add to that that the dive areas encompass almost the ENTIRE coastline of an entire country, and a limited police force/funding, they can only prevent so much. Giving clear messages to their visitors on how to keep the crime from occurring in the first place seems a reasonable conclusion to me.

Seems reasonable to me that the island should devote some of their eneriges to protecting divers from crime, their major income source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom