Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my thoughts in smilies after reading some of this thread

:chuckle::dramaqueen::argument::deadhorse:

Pilot Fish--
I'd like to invite you to join us to dive here in South Florida, at our fine dive under the Blue Heron Bridge. You'll see incredible things and great diversity. Feel free to leave your valuables in plain sight in your car.
Let me know what you find when you return to your car---Blue Heron is situated in one of the most blighted neighborhoods in the entire county. Right here in the good ole USofA.

And, as a plus, while you're at it, if you try just a little harder, you can find a companion for an hour or so (for a fee), and a little chemical pick-me-up (also for a fee). I've yet to encounter either of those in Bonaire.

In other words--I treat that dive exactly the same as I treat dives in Bonaire--basic common sense. Theives have got basic observational skills in understanding that an unattended car that will be left completely alone for 1-2 hours has opportunities for their gain.
As I'm sure others have said, stealing from an unparked, unattended car is a crime of opportunity---and, Bonaire has significantly more opportunities than the average tourist destination. Add to that that the dive areas encompass almost the ENTIRE coastline of an entire country, and a limited police force/funding, they can only prevent so much. Giving clear messages to their visitors on how to keep the crime from occurring in the first place seems a reasonable conclusion to me.

Don't even try logic here. It's useless to waste your time. There is an agenda driven closed mind here, that no amount of logic or knowledge will ever sway from it's :soapbox:
:deadhorse:

See you in Bonaire. OH no, we're gonna die if we go to Bonaire! :shakehead:

My thoughts exactly: why doesn't the Bonaire Gov do more to protect their main source of income, divers shore diving using rental vehicles? Common sense would dictate they do more than is being done, right? Now they have break-ins at rented homes. you'd think they would do more to protect tourists:confused:

Don't even try logic here. It's useless to waste your time. There is an agenda driven closed mind here, that no amount of logic or knowledge will ever sway from it's :soapbox:See you in Bonaire. OH no, we're gonna die if we go to Bonaire! :shakehead:

My thoughts exactly: why doesn't the Bonaire Gov do more to protect their main source of income, divers shore diving using rental vehicles? Common sense would dictate they do more than is being done, right? Now they have break-ins at rented homes. you'd think they would do more to protect tourists:confused:

just like your buddy or a dive master is there to protect you.....:popcorn:

Only if you leave them with the rental car when you shore dive:eyebrow:

just like your buddy or a dive master is there to protect you.....:popcorn:

Ultimately our protection in any and all situations is our own responsibility. About the best you can expect of the police anywhere is to respond, investigate, etc, AFTER an incident. Courts have held here in the US, that the police are not responsible for each citizen's safety, but the general protection of citizens as a whole. Not sure the exact terms they used.

My own safety, diving, driving, at home, or walking down any street in any city or town is my own responsibility, first and foremost. Safety of myself and my family means always being alert and aware of potential dangers, in any situation.

No DM, no law officer is going to be the one to pay the price if I am careless or not paying attention to the possible risks. This has always, and will always be true for each person, no matter where you are or what you are doing. When you abdicate the responsibility for your safety and welfare to another you are asking for trouble.

Seems reasonable to me that the island should devote some of their eneriges to protecting divers from crime, their major income source.
It seems to me that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Here are just a few of the entries in the Charlotte, NC police blotter for January 19th 2010 - a single day:

Stolen vehicle - Hickory Grove Road
Larceny from vehicle - Wallace Road
Stolen vehicle - Davidson Street
Larceny from vehicle - Eddleman Road
Break & enter an occupied home - Huntington Ridge Ct
Break & enter an occupied home - Walden Ct
Armed Robbery of an individual - E 35th St
Burglary/Break & enter a business - Sharon Amity Rd
Burglary/Break & enter a business - University East Dr
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Archdale Dr
Stolen vehicle - Newcastle St
Larceny - South Bv
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Teaneck Pl
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Denison Pl
another Larceny - South Bv
Larceny from vehicle - Colony Rd
Larceny from vehicle - Rae Rd
Larceny - E. 28th St
another Larceny - E. 28th St
Assault with injury - Deaton Hill Dr
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Darventry Ct
Larceny - Eastway Dr
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Starflower Dr
Larceny from a vehicle - Mulberry Church Rd
Larceny from a vehicle - Nations Ford Rd
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Reddman Rd
Larceny from a vehicle - Hebron St
Larceny from a vehicle - Monroe Rd
Burglary/Break & enter a business - Monroe Rd
Larceny - Park Rd
Larceny - Scaleybark Rd
Burglary/Break & enter a business - Sparta Av
Larceny from a vehicle - Yorkmont Rd
Break & enter an occupied home - Camden Creek Ln
Armed Robbery of an individual - Daybreak Dr

Want to apply the same standards to your own police department, PF? Looks like "it seems reasonable" that you should expend your efforts a little closer to home rather than continuing to bash Bonaire.
:)
Rick

Ultimately our protection in any and all situations is our own responsibility. About the best you can expect of the police anywhere is to respond, investigate, etc, AFTER an incident. Courts have held here in the US, that the police are not responsible for each citizen's safety, but the general protection of citizens as a whole. Not sure the exact terms they used.

My own safety, diving, driving, at home, or walking down any street in any city or town is my own responsibility, first and foremost. Safety of myself and my family means always being alert and aware of potential dangers, in any situation.

No DM, no law officer is going to be the one to pay the price if I am careless or not paying attention to the possible risks. This has always, and will always be true for each person, no matter where you are or what you are doing. When you abdicate the responsibility for your safety and welfare to another you are asking for trouble.

I had started to say this, but not so well--thanks.

I get sick of our own citizens constantly yelling about why "they" don't do something about x, y, or z.
I suppose I see law enforcement kinda like I see my insurance policies: It's my responsibility to ensure my roof is in good condition; that I don't create fire hazards, etc. etc. But, if the worst were to happen, they're there to do their best to fix it.
Certainly, the best case is for law enforcement to help prevent crime---but, where there's an opportunity, someone's going to take it.

And, Pilot Fish and others, I do understand your points. Unfortunately, in the real world, I'd bet the citizens of Bonaire are yelling--"hey, they're rich tourists! You need to be watching out and spending your funding on your 'constituents!'."
Puts the police in a bit of a Catch-22. Imagine if tourists to your area yelled loud and often, "Hey!! We're more important than the people who live here! We bring all this money to your area! Look out for us and leave the residents to deal with their own issues!"..........

Are the same entries for Bonaire for the same date available to view?

It seems to me that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Here are just a few of the entries in the Charlotte, NC police blotter for January 19th 2010 - a single day:

Stolen vehicle - Hickory Grove Road
Larceny from vehicle - Wallace Road
Stolen vehicle - Davidson Street
Larceny from vehicle - Eddleman Road
Break & enter an occupied home - Huntington Ridge Ct
Break & enter an occupied home - Walden Ct
Armed Robbery of an individual - E 35th St
Burglary/Break & enter a business - Sharon Amity Rd
Burglary/Break & enter a business - University East Dr
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Archdale Dr
Stolen vehicle - Newcastle St
Larceny - South Bv
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Teaneck Pl
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Denison Pl
another Larceny - South Bv
Larceny from vehicle - Colony Rd
Larceny from vehicle - Rae Rd
Larceny - E. 28th St
another Larceny - E. 28th St
Assault with injury - Deaton Hill Dr
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Darventry Ct
Larceny - Eastway Dr
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Starflower Dr
Larceny from a vehicle - Mulberry Church Rd
Larceny from a vehicle - Nations Ford Rd
Burglary/Break & enter a home - Reddman Rd
Larceny from a vehicle - Hebron St
Larceny from a vehicle - Monroe Rd
Larceny - Park Rd
Larceny - Scaleybark Rd
Burglary/Break & enter a business - Sparta Av
Larceny from a vehicle - Yorkmont Rd
Break & enter an occupied home - Camden Creek Ln
Armed Robbery of an individual - Daybreak Dr

Want to apply the same standards to your own police department, PF? Looks like "it seems reasonable" that you should expend your efforts a little closer to home rather than continuing to bash Bonaire.
:)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom