Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baby Bear, keep those windows down, doors open and unlocked, spare tire in your closet at the hotel, hide the truck battery, take your wife's jewelery in a case and put it around your neck, leave your passport, wallet and money at a safe at a bank in town, and go shore diving on Bonaire. It is a shame that you have to travel by plane, pay for the rental truck, hotel fees and all the rest of it to be that unsafe. Enjoy. :laughing:

Funny, this Papa Bear never felt "Unsafe" not once! So stop bashing what scares YOU and let people have a break from all your ranting against Bonaire! You ran from NY was that because of the crime? You seem to be a frightened person?

The only place I have been broken into was Laguna Beach, must be the bad element and the sheriff in it together!

I have never had a problem on Bonaire or Buddy Dive! I would recommend it highly to anyone wanting a great DIVE vacation!

You know, baby bear, you are funny. I'll give you that. As I said to jim, my hope is that you all have great dives and never get ripped off. Just be aware and don't hide youe head in a bear lair.:wink:

Funny, this Papa Bear never felt "Unsafe" not once! So stop bashing what scares YOU and let people have a break from all your ranting against Bonaire! You ran from NY was that because of the crime? You seem to be a frightened person?

The only place I have been broken into was Laguna Beach, must be the bad element and the sheriff in it together!

I have never had a problem on Bonaire or Buddy Dive! I would recommend it highly to anyone wanting a great DIVE vacation!

This argument has been going on for several years. I made an earlier post about my experiences but no one has denied these things happened.
1. The local radio station ran a talk show for several days discussing the serious problem of theft from autos scuba divers. (8 or 9 years ago).
2. There was actually a bus divers could follow around that guarded your equipment while you were diving.
Maybe things have improved but it's undeniable that theft of gear from cars/trucks was a serious issue several years ago. Are all the past reports by divers "lies". Point us to other forums where there are dozens of reports of theft from a tiny island with only a few hundred divers (at most) on it at one time.
I have been to Bonaire 3 times with no problems personally. I've read others indicate they have been there 20 times or more without incident. That's terrific but it is by no means a valid indicator that there is no problem. I've never been shot or robbed in my 65 years in the USA but we all know murder and theft exists. Some of you seem to indicate that the rates are higher in the US but those statistics include the entire population and not just visitors.
Is Bonaire safe to walk the streets? Absolutely yes. Are the resorts safe. I think so. Are cars/trucks safe? I don't know buy I do know I never leave my car windows down and car unlocked in the USA. In fact, you'd get a warning for doing that in many towns. It's a crazy solution.
Does anyone have factual information regarding the laws regarding theft by minors on Bonaire?

Well, I think we all need to agree to disagree - neither side is going to convince the other- LET IT DIE!!!!:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

by the way, I mentioned this thread to my wife, and you should have seen the look on her face when I mentioned people were talking about how bad the crime was in Bonaire - she raised her brow, Crime??? I guess I first experience with the Carib was in Ocho Rios and Cozumel - big difference. (and she is a skeptical person)

That is the sad reality of shore diving in a rental truck on Bonaire- they just lay in wait for you, AND THE POLICE DO NADA, ZIP, NOTHING. Skynscuba, did you have to pay for the battery at the rental agency from you deductible?

We had to pay for the battery when we took the truck back. I was expecting/dreading a "very expensive" battery, but it was something like the going rate would be in the U.S., $65. At least they didn't charge to take us (and the battery) down to Margate and install it. We thumbed a ride from Margate to the car rental office.

I will no longer dive a site (Margate) where someone can not be seen from the road before they can hear cars coming. There are low scrubby trees there that mean a ne'er do well can be hidden from oncoming cars until they are quite close. So, they could easily avoid having someone see the hood up and stop to help. Maybe not much of a difference, but maybe enough to avoid the theft.

Your comparison is incorrect. You are comparing police reports with a victim survey. Police reports are always lower since not all crime gets to be reported.
For example: if a bottle of sun lotion has been stolen from my truck, I wouldn't report it to the police, but I would mention it in a victim survey.

Good point. If the government would like better information, perhaps they should hand out crime survey forms as you arrive, and collect them on departure! However, I think that they already have a good understanding.

That Island is great, use common sense and you are fine. I have been there 3times without any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom