Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the sad reality of shore diving in a rental truck on Bonaire- they just lay in wait for you, AND THE POLICE DO NADA, ZIP, NOTHING. Skynscuba, did you have to pay for the battery at the rental agency from you deductible?

I don't think that it is magnified 100x. My first trip there, my truck was "tossed" three times at dive sites. Twice nothing was taken, but the other time the car battery was stolen -- I don't think I could have "taken that with me" or left it in the hotel safe. Also stolen were some cheap plastic sunglasses purchased for that purpose.

Some people are asking for numbers. I've got some :cool3:

in 2009 the central bureau of statistics (CBS Amsterdam) did a victim survey on Bonaire. They questioned 769 people (369 men and 400 woman).
out of this test group:
  • 1.2% said they had been a victim of car theft in 2008
  • 6.5% said they had something stolen from within or on top of their car in 2008
  • 5.3% said their car had been vandalised in 2008
  • 6% reported a breakin in 2008
  • 2.9% reported an attempt to break in in 2008
  • 7.6% reported a theft from their yard
  • 4.5% reported mugging in 2008
  • 3% reported general vandalism in 2008
  • 1.7% reported a flight indictable offence (is this correct in English) in 2008
  • 1.3% reported some other crime in 2008

http://www.cbs.an/files/Publicatie Slachtofferenquete BonCurSXM.pdf

While this proves that crime is not unheard of in Bonaire, it also proves that the problem isn't as big as some people would have you believe.

This study further states that Bonaire has less crime than Curacao and St Maarten.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the link doesn't work, but I doubt it would do me any good, since it is likely not in English. One thing I would like to know is if one could answer more than one question in the affirmative. That is, could the same person, for the same event, answer yes to more than one or all of the following:

they had been a victim of car theft in 2008 (is this theft of the car, or from the car?)
they had something stolen from within or on top of their car in 2008
their car had been vandalised in 2008
reported a breakin (of the car) in 2008
reported an attempt to break in (the car) in 2008
reported a theft (from their car) from their yard
reported general vandalism in 2008 (to include their car - i.e., broken windows)
reported a flight indictable offence (is this correct in English) in 2008 (don't know what this might be)?

If a single even could be counted in more than one category, the apparent crime rate would be significantly less than the already very low rate.

I'm also assuming that car = truck for this report.

Bottom Line: Yes there is some petty theft on Bonaire. But, if you follow the generally communicated instructions to not leave anything of value in your car while diving, and leave the windows down and the doors unlocked (so a would-be theif can verify there are no valuables without destroying anything), you should be fine.

I've left t-shirts, towels, and a collapsible cooler, along with my prescription sun glasses, in the truck with no problems. At times I've left more, but accepted the risk in doing so.

Remember, this warning applies to the dive sites. Many of these sites are remote (from view) but at the same time close to the main road. This enable would be thieves to watch the highway for someone coming, while at the same time potentially be the only other person around the dive site to do their dirty work.

If you think about it, you probably wouldn't choose to leave your car in a similar situation in many places near your homes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the link doesn't work, but I doubt it would do me any good, since it is likely not in English. One thing I would like to know is if one could answer more than one question in the affirmative. That is, could the same person, for the same event, answer yes to more than one or all of the following:

Strange, it works here, but you are right, it's in Dutch.

Yes, in a victim survey the respondents can answer yes to more than one question. For example, if there has been a break in in your car, chances are that it has also been vandalised.

they had been a victim of car theft in 2008 (is this theft of the car, or from the car?) Theft of the car
they had something stolen from within or on top of their car in 2008
their car had been vandalised in 2008
reported a breakin (of the car) in 2008
reported an attempt to break in (the car) in 2008
reported a theft (from their car) from their yard
reported general vandalism in 2008 (to include their car - i.e., broken windows)
reported a flight indictable offence (is this correct in English) in 2008 (don't know what this might be)? let me explain, somebody get's in to an acident and the other party involved flees the scene. Don't know how you say that in English :)

If a single even could be counted in more than one category, the apparent crime rate would be significantly less than the already very low rate. you're right again

I'm also assuming that car = truck for this report. Since this is a Dutch report, truck and car are the same. There is only one word in Dutch (auto)

Bottom Line: Yes there is some petty theft on Bonaire. But, if you follow the generally communicated instructions to not leave anything of value in your car while diving, and leave the windows down and the doors unlocked (so a would-be theif can verify there are no valuables without destroying anything), you should be fine.

I've left t-shirts, towels, and a collapsible cooler, along with my prescription sun glasses, in the truck with no problems. At times I've left more, but accepted the risk in doing so.

Remember, this warning applies to the dive sites. Many of these sites are remote (from view) but at the same time close to the main road. This enable would be thieves to watch the highway for someone coming, while at the same time potentially be the only other person around the dive site to do their dirty work.

If you think about it, you probably wouldn't choose to leave your car in a similar situation in many places near your homes.

my apologies for being unclear at some points.

low based on what? Could be all those years of public schooling left me deficient in math but those crime rates seem higher than New York City.

http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/2008_indexcountrate.pdf

Your comparison is incorrect. You are comparing police reports with a victim survey. Police reports are always lower since not all crime gets to be reported.
For example: if a bottle of sun lotion has been stolen from my truck, I wouldn't report it to the police, but I would mention it in a victim survey.

In scientific research the researchers tend to put more value in victim surveys because they give you a more accurate view of the situation.

But we're drifting.

locals or tourists or a combination?
Locals.

Your comparison is incorrect. You are comparing police reports with a victim survey. Police reports are always lower since not all crime gets to be reported.
For example: if a bottle of sun lotion has been stolen from my truck, I wouldn't report it to the police, but I would mention it in a victim survey.

In scientific research the researchers tend to put more value in victim surveys because they give you a more accurate view of the situation.

But we're drifting.

Thanks, I figured I was missing something.

Strange, it works here, but you are right, it's in Dutch.

It is working for me now too. Not sure what the problem was.

"reported a flight indictable offence (is this correct in English) in 2008 (don't know what this might be)? let me explain, somebody get's in to an acident and the other party involved flees the scene. Don't know how you say that in English
icosm14.gif
"

I think we call that a "hit and run", or "leaving the scene of an accident". I can understand your writing, now that I understand the intended meaning. :wink:

It is working for me now too. Not sure what the problem was.

"reported a flight indictable offence (is this correct in English) in 2008 (don't know what this might be)? let me explain, somebody get's in to an acident and the other party involved flees the scene. Don't know how you say that in English
icosm14.gif
"

I think we call that a "hit and run", or "leaving the scene of an accident". I can understand your writing, now that I understand the intended meaning. :wink:

Hit and run, that's it. man I feel stupid. :rofl3:

And for the strange translation, that's babelfish for you

please, this is extermely bogus. First no link that works, then it's in another language, then it gets "roughly" translated and you never know who ordered the survey and what type of questions were asked. For all we know the Bonaire "police" could have fudged those numbers. Give us a break. Central bureau of statistics (CBS Amsterdam) Who are they, an arm of the Board of Commerce for bonaire?:rofl3::rofl3:

You must think we rolled off a turnip truck.:eyebrow:

Some people are asking for numbers. I've got some :cool3:

in 2009 the central bureau of statistics (CBS Amsterdam) did a victim survey on Bonaire. They questioned 769 people (369 men and 400 woman).
out of this test group:
  • 1.2% said they had been a victim of car theft in 2008
  • 6.5% said they had something stolen from within or on top of their car in 2008
  • 5.3% said their car had been vandalised in 2008
  • 6% reported a breakin in 2008
  • 2.9% reported an attempt to break in in 2008
  • 7.6% reported a theft from their yard
  • 4.5% reported mugging in 2008
  • 3% reported general vandalism in 2008
  • 1.7% reported a flight indictable offence (is this correct in English) in 2008
  • 1.3% reported some other crime in 2008

http://www.cbs.an/files/Publicatie 20Slachtofferenquete 20BonCurSXM.pdf

While this proves that crime is not unheard of in Bonaire, it also proves that the problem isn't as big as some people would have you believe.

This study further states that Bonaire has less crime than Curacao and St Maarten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom