Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you realize how worse off you's be without any police protection? It would wind up as bad as bonaire.

Ultimately our protection in any and all situations is our own responsibility. About the best you can expect of the police anywhere is to respond, investigate, etc, AFTER an incident. Courts have held here in the US, that the police are not responsible for each citizen's safety, but the general protection of citizens as a whole. Not sure the exact terms they used.

My own safety, diving, driving, at home, or walking down any street in any city or town is my own responsibility, first and foremost. Safety of myself and my family means always being alert and aware of potential dangers, in any situation.

No DM, no law officer is going to be the one to pay the price if I am careless or not paying attention to the possible risks. This has always, and will always be true for each person, no matter where you are or what you are doing. When you abdicate the responsibility for your safety and welfare to another you are asking for trouble.

The whole notion that if you get ripped off in Bonaire it's somehow your own fault and your lack of common sense, that riles me. That's abdicating police responsibilty and transferring it to the victim. Oh, it was her fault, she worre a short skirt. horse ****!

I had started to say this, but not so well--thanks.

I get sick of our own citizens constantly yelling about why "they" don't do something about x, y, or z.
I suppose I see law enforcement kinda like I see my insurance policies: It's my responsibility to ensure my roof is in good condition; that I don't create fire hazards, etc. etc. But, if the worst were to happen, they're there to do their best to fix it.
Certainly, the best case is for law enforcement to help prevent crime---but, where there's an opportunity, someone's going to take it.

And, Pilot Fish and others, I do understand your points. Unfortunately, in the real world, I'd bet the citizens of Bonaire are yelling--"hey, they're rich tourists! You need to be watching out and spending your funding on your 'constituents!'."
Puts the police in a bit of a Catch-22. Imagine if tourists to your area yelled loud and often, "Hey!! We're more important than the people who live here! We bring all this money to your area! Look out for us and leave the residents to deal with their own issues!"..........

Ultimately our protection in any and all situations is our own responsibility. About the best you can expect of the police anywhere is to respond, investigate, etc, AFTER an incident. Courts have held here in the US, that the police are not responsible for each citizen's safety, but the general protection of citizens as a whole. Not sure the exact terms they used.

My own safety, diving, driving, at home, or walking down any street in any city or town is my own responsibility, first and foremost. Safety of myself and my family means always being alert and aware of potential dangers, in any situation.

No DM, no law officer is going to be the one to pay the price if I am careless or not paying attention to the possible risks. This has always, and will always be true for each person, no matter where you are or what you are doing. When you abdicate the responsibility for your safety and welfare to another you are asking for trouble.

My thoughts exactly.
Last year the window of our car was smashed right in from of our house (in Belgium). Apparently the thieves taught the bluetooth receiver was a cell phone. When they realised it was not, they went through the car and stole some CD's.
If I hadn't left them in the car they would not have been stolen...
Off course we reported it to the police, who typed up a report and that was it.

In the end I have only myself to blame... Not that I wasn't pissed at the people who took my stuff, but still my own fault.

Are the same entries for Bonaire for the same date available to view?
I don't know... seems to me that's your main area of interest - why don't you find out and report back to us?
Rick

As I was saying....
I saw we all quit responding on this thread, I just think he gets a kick out rileing people up.

Anyway, looks like I will be in Bonaire (with Herman) the same week you are at the end of June. I say we have a beer and toast PF while we are down in paradise and he is back in Charlotte living the life of no crime and popsicle sticks of the utopia known as the queen city.

Last edited:
reorting back. Zip, nothing, no reports on that date, or any other date for Bonaire. :shocked2: They do not publish crime reports, hmmmmmm, wonder why?:confused:

I don't know... seems to me that's your main area of interest - why don't you find out and report back to us?
Rick

Furthermore I just want to state that I don't own any property on the Island, I'm going there for the very first time in March (for three weeks) and after all these reports (by a few people) on SB I got interested in the case and did some research.
My conclusion is: there is crime, just as that would be anywhere else. But perhaps not even as much as some other places I've been in my life.

I will be on Bonaire in March also. I'll be there 06-13MAR2010 at Eden Beach with a group, but would be happy to meet you sometime for coffee, a dive or a drink. I am still deciding on whether I'll stay a second week, 13-20MAR2010. I'm looking for a buddy/roommate to share expenses with. I'm hoping someone from the group that's going the previous week might want to stay a second week. No takers yet, and need to buy airfare soon.

I saw we all quit responding on this thread, I just think he gets a kick out rileing people up.

Anyway, looks like I will be in Bonaire (with Herman) the same week you are at the end of June. I say we have a beer and toast PF while we are down in paradise and he is back in Charlotte living the life of no crime and popsicle sticks of the utopia known as the queen city.

Sounds like a plan! That'll be one heck of a toast, since we have a heck of a group going!
Where are you guys staying--GRI?

Sounds like a plan! That'll be one heck of a toast, since we have a heck of a group going!
Where are you guys staying--GRI?
Staying at Den Lamen - Same rooms as last year, my one and only trip, can't wait to get back

I will be on Bonaire in March also. I'll be there 06-13MAR2010 at Eden Beach with a group, but would be happy to meet you sometime for coffee, a dive or a drink. I am still deciding on whether I'll stay a second week, 13-20MAR2010. I'm looking for a buddy/roommate to share expenses with. I'm hoping someone from the group that's going the previous week might want to stay a second week. No takers yet, and need to buy airfare soon.

Nice idea to meet up. We could pick your brain for tips.
We'll be there from the 9th of March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom