Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually yes. I can't tell you where it is at the moment, but yes it does. My girlfriend just got certified and she asked me about it as she encountered the chapter.

Aha, posts are missing which makes this out of context..

OK, bottom line: Each diver has his own computer. It says so in the PADI manual and had you been paying attention to your instructor and reading the manual one would know this. :D

I'm saying this with a big smile... OK??

Well the only reason to share a computer between four divers I can see is to save money so here's my thought, don't buy any computers and have everyone in your group become intimate w/ the dive tables. Problem solved.

I think this is the best idea yet. Perhaps as birthdays and holidays come along, everyone can get a computer. Would definitely save some on the wallet right now. Just a thought.

Again welcome to the board. :)

Is a DC needed for every diver? or can one diver use one for a family of 4? Assuming all stay in a group and at the same depths +/- 10 feet? We will be only doing recreational dives.

One dive computer for a party of 4 is absolutely wrong. Could you get away with this, under most circumstances, probably yes. Divers get away with all kinds of shortcuts, this one would be wrong and could be dangerous.

I, like many, dive with 2 computers, thus far, I've never needed more than 1.

Good diving, Craig

Welcome to Scubaboard. I'm just a diver, not and instructor or anything but we were taught early on that each diver needs their own computer.

Happy diving!:D

If you were to visit Ebay and/or Craigs List for 15-20 minutes you could most likely acquire 4 used computers of the same model for the cost of one new unit....

Is a DC needed for every diver? or can one diver use one for a family of 4? Assuming all stay in a group and at the same depths +/- 10 feet? We will be only doing recreational dives.

I prefer to be on the conservative safe side since these will be family dives. I'm looking at the Zeagle N2/3

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: YES if you use dive tables + depth gauge + timer and you plan and execute the dives with the tables. Basically you don't need a computer as your bottom time allowance will always be higher then of others as your computer will calculate based on real time data vs. max depth/time data with RDP tables. Basically you are better off having no dive computers for 4 divers then having one.

You can get decent prices on ebay/craigslist or many other places. I would suggest Divers Supply and you could possibly get a good deal on 4 Oceanic VEO 180nx (better then the Veo 100). It is awesome starter computer and just recently become my backup computer as my primary became Suunto D9. (I as many others dive with 2 computers. I set up both for the same air mix (if using nitrox or air) and when under water I generally use D9 for all my planning during the dive. Should D9 go dead I could always switch to Veo 180nx and continue dive. (my veo is console and D9 is wrist type)

I prefer to be on the conservative safe side since these will be family dives. I'm looking at the Zeagle N2/3

You say you prefer to be on the safe side, then the safest action would be to plan your dive with a dive table as it would be the most conservative action you can take.

Computers are not required equipment. They make diving easier, but you can do just fine with a good watch and depth gauge. Just like we did in the old days when computers were thought to be unreliable and were discouraged.

While not directly addressing the topic, there is only one agency (AFAIK) which advocates\legitimizes a degree of sharing at all... and thats GUE, with respect to backup Bottom Timers...

A> Your diving tables..., so the minute degree of individual variances go out the window since you've planned for a square profile...
B> Your already committed to the team concept... Thus, any separation of the team would be a dive ending event, just as any device failure would.

-Tim

While not directly addressing the topic, there is only one agency (AFAIK) which advocates\legitimizes a degree of sharing at all... and thats GUE, with respect to backup Bottom Timers...

A> Your diving tables..., so the minute degree of individual variances go out the window since you've planned for a square profile...
B> Your already committed to the team concept... Thus, any separation of the team would be a dive ending event, just as any device failure would.

-Tim

With respect, GUE doesn't advocate the use of dive computers at all. They teach a system of calculating deco obligations (or "minimum deco" for NDL dives) that relies on a diver keeping a mental tally of their depth in 5-minute segments ... little mental "tables" as it were.

For more complex dives, they ... like most tech agencies ... mandate the use of redundant depth/bottom timer devices.

None of this would be appropriate for the family in question. In this case, either everyone gets a computer or they should plan the dives using tables and make sure everyone has their own depth/bottom timer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, as you can see from the number of responses (60) to the total time that this thread has been open (just shy of five and a half hours) you've hit on a bit of a hot button topic. The advice is sound, especially since you have expressed a desire to be extra safe and conservative due to the fact that you are diving with family. I applaud you for that, always always err on the side of caution. With that in mind realize that the only way to be safe in this particular regard is to make sure that each member of your family has either their own dive computer or an SPG and depth/timing device and knows how to use the tables. If you were to attempt to share one computer amongst the four of you you will be potentially setting one of your loved ones up for an increased risk of decompression sickness. The potential monetary savings just isn't worth it (not to mention the fact that treating a case of DCS would be exponentially more expensive than four top of the line computers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom