Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... can one diver use one for a family of 4? ...
Can you?
Sure...
It's against every agency's recommendation, and against every dive computer manufacturer's guidance, but there is a way...
and it's safe, and it's simple. (given that you obey ascent rules, do safety stops, don't hold your breath, don't run out of air, etc)
All you have to do is make sure the diver with the computer is always deeper than the rest of the group.
If you ever let any diver get deeper than the diver with the computer, all bets are off.
E

Can you?
Sure...
It's against every agency's recommendation, and against every dive computer manufacturer's guidance, but there is a way...
and it's safe, and it's simple. (given that you obey ascent rules, do safety stops, don't hold your breath, don't run out of air, etc)
All you have to do is make sure the diver with the computer is always deeper than the rest of the group.
If you ever let any diver get deeper than the diver with the computer, all bets are off.
E

I most definitely would not call it safe no matter what qualifications you put on it. Way too much can go wrong and very quickly. And, with a family of new divers I think very little will really be SIMPLE.

Bottom line is, to the OP, you've received an almost unanimous "This would be a bad idea" but then anything is possible.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

No matter what, dive safe and dive often.

Can you?
Sure...
It's against every agency's recommendation, and against every dive computer manufacturer's guidance, but there is a way... and it's safe, and it's simple. (given that you obey ascent rules, do safety stops, don't hold your breath, don't run out of air, etc) All you have to do is make sure the diver with the computer is always deeper than the rest of the group. If you ever let any diver get deeper than the diver with the computer, all bets are off.
E

Drivel.

If it were safe.... why is it against the recommendations of every agency and manufacturer?

Several members have already posted specific circumstances that illustrate the dangers of sharing computers.

This is a newbie forum.... please don't post potentially dangerous and unsanctioned recommendations here. An inexperienced diver may be foolish enough to believe your irresponsible recommendations and have a very real diving accident as a result of it.

Actually yes. I can't tell you where it is at the moment, but yes it does. My girlfriend just got certified and she asked me about it as she encountered the chapter.

In chapter 5 in the second section the PADI OW book it explicitly states that you are NOT to share dive computers with other divers and that every diver needs their own computer if that's what you're using.

Dude I don't know what your agenda is but stop now. You're putting patently false information out there that some unsuspecting newbie might find on google and use to hurt themselves. PADI does not advocate sharing dive computers. No PADI instructor would tell you to do that. No diver in their right mind would do that or suggest that it's a good idea.

And those are the facts

R..

Is a DC needed for every diver? or can one diver use one for a family of 4? Assuming all stay in a group and at the same depths +/- 10 feet? We will be only doing recreational dives.

I prefer to be on the conservative safe side since these will be family dives. I'm looking at the Zeagle N2/3

4 computers for one diver? I usually dive w/ two computers just for myself.

Uhm, DOOD!

Re-read my posts. I do not advocate using one computer amongst the 4 of them.

Perhaps you should stop, think, and act by re-reading what I said.

The PADI manual says NOT to do what the OP asked.

So, I'm patiently awaiting a "Gee, I'm sorry Mr. Smith, you're right" posting from you sometime SOON.

:)

In chapter 5 in the second section the PADI OW book it explicitly states that you are NOT to share dive computers with other divers and that every diver needs their own computer if that's what you're using.

Dude I don't know what your agenda is but stop now. You're putting patently false information out there that some unsuspecting newbie might find on google and use to hurt themselves. PADI does not advocate sharing dive computers. No PADI instructor would tell you to do that. No diver in their right mind would do that or suggest that it's a good idea.

And those are the facts

R..

Can you?
Sure...
E

Bad idea, too many variables.

you're just being arrogant and closed minded.
I'll add this little thingy for everyone else---------> :wink:

Well the only reason to share a computer between four divers I can see is to save money so here's my thought, don't buy any computers and have everyone in your group become intimate w/ the dive tables. Problem solved.

Plan your dive, dive your plan.

842.jpg

Add a depth gauge and waterproof watch. Enjoy the dives.

DC

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Fine a friendly request doesn't seem to work :shakehead:
ANY off topic posts from now on will be deleted by any mod passing by.
NO Pm's will have to be sent from now on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom