Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope I can ask a few more stupid questions as we embark on our SCUBA journey without looking like a :dork2:

:no: There are no stupit questions(at least not many) we do have people giving stupid answers,so just go ahead,start some new threads ans ask away.

LB, world ends in 2012 so time enough.:D

Stupid question coming...be nice to a brand new diver.

These basic computers, do they tell you how much air/psi you have left? If not, I assume you would have this type of computer take the place of your depth guage and then have your regular psi air guage?

yes...

These basic computers, do they tell you how much air/psi you have left? If not, I assume you would have this type of computer take the place of your depth guage and then have your regular psi air guage?

No, the basic computers are not what is called "Air Integrated" (AI) meaning they read the pressure in your tank. The dive computer could take the place of your depth gauge. and you would still want to have a SPG for your air.

I have had the AI computers, both with and with out a hose. they are nice but I now prefer a nice solid brass SPG for my pressure readings. personal preference.

He isn't a brand new diver. Lucky for him, his family is interested in diving. However, on second thought, we really would be doing him a favor by talking him out of this endever before he has to buy equipment for three people plus him. It's the least we could do for a guy about to spend lots of money.:D

Actually... Not likely. You are referring to air integration and that feature typically adds another $100-$300 to the price. AI computers will report air pressure and estimate the time remaining for the remaining pressure given your current rate of consumption.

stroke
No, the basic computers are not what is called "Air Integrated" (AI) meaning they read the pressure in your tank. The dive computer could take the place of your depth gauge. and you would still want to have a SPG for your air.

I have had the AI computers, both with and with out a hose. they are nice but I now prefer a nice solid brass SPG for my pressure readings. personal preference.

:D:D

Some dive computers have a function named 'Air Integration'..commonly referred to as AI.

AI computers will provide a read-out of your remaining air and also (on some models) a calculation of the time that your air will last for (based on the air you have and your rate of consumption).

AI computers need to be linked to your cylinder via either a hose (console mounted computers) or an electronic transmitter (wrist mounted computers).

You will pay much more for an AI computer.

Abaco24,

Everyone could easily use simple timers and tables as it's been stated before.

To add *some* additional safety measure, there are dive computers which track or show not only your tank pressure but also offer a "buddy check" for other tanks equipped with a transmitter and within range (eg. family diving together).

The Oceanic VT3 is an example of this kind, though there are several others that do this too. They aren't cheap though.

Oceanic Worldwide - Personal Dive Computers - VT3

So while everyone is using a timing device and tables, there's an added measure of safety because you can cross check against a computer plus keep tabs on your loved one's tank pressures.

Beyond the timing device, other options as have been pointed out before are some of the more simpler wrist computers like the VEO100 or Aeris counterpart. Roughly $150 each but many places like Scubatoys offer Scubaboard discounts, or free shipping... and have been known to offer deals when you buy multiple units.

The other thing I would comment on here that I've found useful when diving with my daughters was to clip or ziptie the wrist unit to their BCD. The wrist computers were simply too large for their kid sized wrists and I also didn't want them to "forget" the computer topside. So, after some attempts to use it like it normally is, I got a couple small zip ties, and putting the wrist computer through one of the D-rings on the BCD, zip tied the strap so it couldn't come undone.

During the dive I could move over and check out their computer, as well as check it topside after we got out or right before getting back in the water for the next dive to check the surface interval. No hunting for the computer -- had enough trouble with missing masks and snorkels! :wink:

Simple little thing like worked wonders for me and I always knew they had their computer with them.

in the dark ages we actually sat down and talked out the dive based on each divers abilities and weakness and worked the stone tablet dive tables about 3 times before the dive

yabbadabbadoo ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom