Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i can just see the swapping of the wrist unit going real well in cold dark water........oops

But don't worry- if you drop it you can just go pick it up and hold it above your head for a few min. to average the nitrogen loading out. :rofl3:

But seriously, it would surprise me if ANY angency was teaching this officially. I am not willing to buy a manual to find out- anyone have a current manual that can verify this?

Oh... I am too slow!

Looks like someone settled it while I was writing this!

I had to find my PADI book....it states:

Using a Dive Computer

"2. Don't share your computer. Each diver needs an individual computer."

You’ve already gotten the unanimous answer to your question. I would add that if you want to start out safe/conservative, and cannot dish out for 4 computers at the beginning, it would be safer to start with none than one. That would mean that there is no temptation for the family to follow the one (shared or sneakily shared) computer that one of you is wearing. All of you would be hopefully forced to take a look at the tables, keep track of time and depth, and gain understanding how that basic method works. It’s a great way to dive in the beginning.

The answer to your question is that ZERO computers is enough for family of four. However, you will all need time keeping devices, and if you do not all have your own already, you might find out that the cheapest computers come close to the price of some of the fancy dive watches. (On the other hand, totally adequate ones can be had from Wal Marts and places like that for $25-40). As has been said, one can dive perfectly safely without computer.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ok guy's cut it out.
Op asked a legit question and got some good answers,even from a surprise corner.:D
So play in the SI or Pub.

We'll I guess I should have given you ladies and gentlemen some history before posting.

First since I followed the rules and posted my 2nd post in the NEW DIVER section I appreciate the honest answers from the few professional divers, without the sarcasm from the rest.

Second, we start our course in a few weeks. I am taking it as well as a refresher for the new technology and to support my family in their new adventure. Diving seems to be a sport my two teen girls are actually interested in doing with their Dad & Mom, so I welcome the opportunity for our family to become closer with diving with their Dad. I have even purchased a diving DVD to loop reef dives in the livingroom, so they can see what's in store and get motivated.

I dove 30 years ago, certified at 16, with Aqualung and Decor regs, a horseshoe and acutal lead weight belts. I think I also used spit vs defog. All I ever used was a watch and PADI dive tables and I'm still here, diving just the FL keys.

While I would never jeopardize my family's safety, I apparently asked a stupid question. Thanks for all the rapid responses and I have seen the DC's in the $150-$200range, one reason I steped up to the Zeagle N2/3.

This site has been a great help getting me back up to speed and these answers help a great deal in my budgeting and saftey for outfitting a family of 4 with basic gear and 4 courses!!!:shocked2:

I hope I can ask a few more stupid questions as we embark on our SCUBA journey without looking like a :dork2:

We'll I guess I should have given you ladies and gentlemen some history before posting.

First since I followed the rules and posted my 2nd post in the NEW DIVER section I appreciate the honest answers from the few professional divers, without the sarcasm from the rest.

Second, we start our course in a few weeks. I am taking it as well as a refresher for the new technology and to support my family in their new adventure. Diving seems to be a sport my two teen girls are actually interested in doing with their Dad & Mom, so I welcome the opportunity for our family to become closer with diving with their Dad. I have even purchased a diving DVD to loop reef dives in the livingroom, so they can see what's in store and get motivated.

I dove 30 years ago, certified at 16, with Aqualung and Decor regs, a horseshoe and acutal lead weight belts. I think I also used spit vs defog. All I ever used was a watch and PADI dive tables and I'm still here, diving just the FL keys.

While I would never jeopardize my family's safety, I apparently asked a stupid question. Thanks for all the rapid responses and I have seen the DC's in the $150-$200range, one reason I steped up to the Zeagle N2/3.

This site has been a great help getting me back up to speed and these answers help a great deal in my budgeting and saftey for outfitting a family of 4 with basic gear and 4 courses!!!:shocked2:

I hope I can ask a few more stupid questions as we embark on our SCUBA journey without looking like a :dork2:

Some of us need a [sarcasm] set of brackets [/sarcasm]

There is no stupid question, as a reborn diver things have changed some from when you got certified.

Another option might be to check out a "rent to own" program at your LDS . . . ie for every computer rental the monies put down or at least a % of the monies goes to the purchase of a computer. . .

Enjoy your adventure!

P.S. 300BAR I would go in to the pub, but I lost my tinfoil hat, seemingly I the world is gonna end and I am doomed with out it . . . :catherine:

Hi...and welcome to the forum.

Please don't be dissuaded from posting more questions. I read some of the responses to be very funny (tongue-in-cheek banter) rather than cynical/sarcastic aimed at your question. Just the product of bored people sat at in front of PCs when they would rather be underwater :)

Actually yes. I can't tell you where it is at the moment, but yes it does. My girlfriend just got certified and she asked me about it as she encountered the chapter.

I recently took the PADI Deep Diver [-]merit badge[/-] specialization and it definitely say when diving with computers, each diver had to have their own computer, for the reasons people are listing here. It also said in a buddy pair to stick to follow the more conservative computer on the dive.

Sorry if our messing around made you feel bad.... there are no stupid questions. You asked a legit question, hopefully you feel as though you received a legit answer!

P.S. We have ALL looked / will look like a dork sometime while diving! You should see me in a wetsuit :eyebrow:

Good luck to you and your family diving. My whole family dives, and that is all we ever did on vacations b/c it is the only thing we could all agree we wanted to do. :D

It is a valid question, so I pose this to the OP.

But I find some folks come here looking to validate something heard in OW class.

SIDENOTE - Abaco24 I am not saying I have NEVER done a dive without my computer/ depth and time gauge , but it is not a safe thing to do.

I have the N2ition 2, I like it, the two computers I posted above I have dive buddies who dive them. poke around on Scubatoys, leisure pro, indian valley scuba and the other numerous site on the internet for dive gear. Look for the best deal for you, heck call the guys at the online shops, tell them you are looking for 3 dive computers, they may be able to hook you up with a deal. . .

Stupid question coming...be nice to a brand new diver.

These basic computers, do they tell you how much air/psi you have left? If not, I assume you would have this type of computer take the place of your depth guage and then have your regular psi air guage?

Back
Top Bottom