Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco24

Contributor
Reaction score
Is a DC needed for every diver? or can one diver use one for a family of 4? Assuming all stay in a group and at the same depths +/- 10 feet? We will be only doing recreational dives.

I prefer to be on the conservative safe side since these will be family dives. I'm looking at the Zeagle N2/3

short anwser, no.

Every diver should have some type of depth and time gauge.

There are many options for inexpensive dive computers out there.

Is a DC needed for every diver? or can one diver use one for a family of 4? Assuming all stay in a group and at the same depths +/- 10 feet? We will be only doing recreational dives.

I prefer to be on the conservative safe side since these will be family dives. I'm looking at the Zeagle N2/3

Nitrogen loading is a function of time, depth and type of breathing gas.

Unfortunately, this is a case where "pretty close" might not be good enough. What happens if you do an extra dive that your family doesn't? Or one of your kids pops down an extra 20' to look at something on the bottom? Or it takes one of your group more time to descend?

Everybody needs their own computer, (or timing device, depth gauge and SPG).

Terry

You can do this... As long as the members of your dive group who are not using the computer are diving based on their dive tables and NOT the dive computer

One dive computer to one diver using the computer

This really should have been covered in your dive class. I would hope one member of your family would remember it from their class. If that is not the case... allow me to recommend you each go back and at least read the book that came with your dive class package. There is some great information in there. I've read mine several times.

OK, you have a point.

But man, I do wonder if his instructor covered that in his class.

It is a valid question, so I pose this to the OP.

But I find some folks come here looking to validate something heard in OW class.

SIDENOTE - Abaco24 I am not saying I have NEVER done a dive without my computer/ depth and time gauge , but it is not a safe thing to do.

I have the N2ition 2, I like it, the two computers I posted above I have dive buddies who dive them. poke around on Scubatoys, leisure pro, indian valley scuba and the other numerous site on the internet for dive gear. Look for the best deal for you, heck call the guys at the online shops, tell them you are looking for 3 dive computers, they may be able to hook you up with a deal. . .

Welcome to SB....

As others have indicated, it is not okay to share a computer. This should be made very clear during certification and it's more than a little disturbing if it wasn't. If it wasn't, that's not your fault, but it might indicate there were some serious holes in your OW course.

By the way, a big WELCOME ABOARD Abaco24. Many of use are a bit of a smart alec, but don't let that stop you from posting.

And to further confuse things. I don't use a computer, but a bottom timer and tables. Ii carry a set of NAUI tables in a pocket on every dive. Usually, however I mostly use the 120 rule but we'll save that discussion for a later time.

in the dark ages we actually sat down and talked out the dive based on each divers abilities and weakness and worked the stone tablet dive tables about 3 times before the dive

Back
Top Bottom