Is now a dangerous time to travel to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Havent read all the replies here, but my general take on it is that looking like a tourist has its advantages.
Organized crime groups IN GENERAL dont want to mess too much with the tourists as they know as well as everyone that they leave a lot of money at the location.
Theres of course the pickpocket/tourist robbers in some countries, but those arent really the main (if any) concern in Mexico at the moment, are they?

Cozumel is very dangerous!

Beware of the uneven sidewalks!

Yes extremely, my buddy said his hotel disappeared after leavin the bar one nite:missing:

Coz dangerous? It's like saying there's mean people in Canada. Can we close this thread? Please? :D

Cozumel is very dangerous!

Beware of the uneven sidewalks!

Seriously BEWARE.... We just walked to the plaza, to 30 and back around. I stumbled and looked like an idiot 3 times!! Stone cold sober.... Thankfully everyone is so polite only my wife laughed at me....

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but my daughter is freaking out over me making plans for a diving trip in Jan 2012. Have there been any changes in the level of safety there?

No change. Still safer than most big cities here in the U.S.

Get out a map and show your daughter where all the incidents mentioned in news articles are taking place and then show her where Cozumel is. Mexico is a big country. Like worrying about going to Kansas City due to epidemic of violence in LA. Have a great trip!

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but my daughter is freaking out over me making plans for a diving trip in Jan 2012. Have there been any changes in the level of safety there?

Aside from the Diamond's International robbery, not really.

Report: Cozumel port closed following jewelry store robbery - USATODAY.com

OTOH, jewlrey store robberies in the US don't usually even make the news, so I'd consider your vacation "going someplace safer." The most dangerous things on Cozumel are dumb dive plans and turista. Stay away from those and you should be fine.

flots.

I live in a medium-size city in Texas (pop. 100,000). I read about more crime happening here in a couple weeks than what I understand happens in Coz in a year.

Heading to Coz this coming Sunday. :banana: No worries.

Rumor has it that there is a real desperado staying at the Casa Mexicana from Oct 20-27, All cruise ships should be advised to avoid the Island. Divers are more than welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom