Is now a dangerous time to travel to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you imagine the following:

" I just heard on the news about some gang related drug violence and murders in the inner cities in Detroit and NYC, should I cancel my trip to Orlando?? "

Wouldn't make sense right? Same with the media reports of the drug violence in Mexico, and visiting Cozumel.

Mexico is NOT 1 destination, it's a pretty big place.

I'm glad some people ask on forums ad do their research, the internet is a great tool. I have many clients here who tell me their co-workers/friends/family give them a hard time when they hear they are coming to Cozumel Mexico. I scratch my head really.

I wish the US State Deparment and media were socially responsible and made their reports thorough, there should be zoned warnings, a list of high risk destinations (Juarez, etc.), then a list of medium risk areas, and the low/no risk areas, this would be fair...
This makes a lot sense, but you know governments rarily operate logically.

Thanks again everyone for the info. I have found something that made my decision much easier. Many of the beautiful Cenotes in Mexico seem to be near Playa Del Carmen. Soo my thought would be to fly to Cancun, take the bus to Playa Del Carmen, stay there for a night and do a Cenote dive or two the next day and then ferry over to Cozumel to stay the rest of our week there. Anyone have a recommendation of a specific Cenote or dive shop to use near Playa?

Dos Ojos is one of the signature cenote divies. Lot of good light play in the water and an easy dive. Bat Cave would be your second dive. A bit darker and more confined and still an easy dive.

I would fly into COZ and leave through CUN. You pick up a couple of dives on your last day (the cenote dives are very shallow). A big side benefit is that the fresh water will give your gear a good rinse at the end of your vacation.

I would fly into COZ and leave through CUN. You pick up a couple of dives on your last day (the cenote dives are very shallow). A big side benefit is that the fresh water will give your gear a good rinse at the end of your vacation.

Excellent advice. We dove the cenotes our last day for that very reason, more time to off gas before flying home and your gear gets the cleanest freshwater rinse ever.

Like others here, I have done both routes to Cozumel. I would say that other than money and time a lot depends on your mindset. Do you get stressed missing a ferry? Running with luggage sucks... Can you wind down and go with the flow... I waited for a taxi realizing that I would miss the ferry and enter the 2 hour wait for the next boat. A smile on my face unlocked the ticket booth and a hand took my ticket and returned my money so I could buy on the alt ferry. A temper tantrum would have gotten me nowhere. Ditto on the rough ferry ride comment above... It CAN be 20 minutes of rolling and paper vomit bags being handed out... OR a beautiful calm ride with music and cerveza. I hope you have a wonderful time! We have rented a condo on the mainland for the month of January :)

Been here for a week, heading home today, and it's very safe. No worries :)

Oh.... El Moro... I just drooled on myself a little....

Drooooooooled!!!! that reminds me... do not wear a nice shirt when you go to eat there! LOL...

and to those who have never been... ask about the Zacharias Special for 2, 4 or 6...

but if your real nice.. they will do it for one.... at least they do for me... lol...

Please give my regards to Rudolfo and Lucy (long story)..... and the kids..

(dare I say k i d s!) Reyes.. Helser.. and all . .

drooled on myself.. that was a good one!

thanks!!!

I Am zacharias

Y'all shush!! Before you know it we will need reservations!:no::no::no:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::D:D:D:D:D

Cozumel is dangerous!!

Every year I go I have the same problems. The diving is so relaxed and easy that my skills become rusty. The water is so nice and warm that the first dive back home in the chilly waters of California is frightful. The people are so friendly that I am in constant danger of smiling at strangers. The alcohol.....well enough said!

Be very careful. Cozumel is infectious, and there is a very real danger that you may not want to leave.

Back
Top Bottom