Is now a dangerous time to travel to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My buddies and I are looking to plan a dive trip for Cozumel in Feb/March 2011. With all the gang violence and crime going on in Mexico (though I think that is mostly the mainland), should we reconsider our trip destination?

mainland violence has so far not spread to Cozumel. Petty crime is everywhere in the world. I take my kids for walks at ten oclock at night and feel perfectly safe. Book the trip, Danno

My buddies and I are looking to plan a dive trip for Cozumel in Feb/March 2011. With all the gang violence and crime going on in Mexico (though I think that is mostly the mainland), should we reconsider our trip destination?

I wouldn't reconsider, I was just there a month ago and I would go again tomorrow if I had the chance. The main danger is developing an addiction to Cozumel and making repeat trips.

I wouldn't think twice about going to Cozumel right now.

I agree....

In fact, I'm planning to go twice

You are safer there than any urban/suburban area in FL.

I just got back from Cape Breton Island in Canada. I was wondering if it was safe to walk around there at night. I have never felt any apprehension when strolling around Coz. Even my wife who is certainly tiny is not worried about the island for violence issues. The crap that is happening on the US/Mexican border I feel is far enough from there to not warrant a second thought. I don't leave my expensive regs sitting in an unlocked car for some one else to try out without my permission. That is tempting too many tourists who otherwise wouldn't steal. Know what I mean. There are murders everywhere in the wonderful planet of ours. Some spots more so than others. Cozumel is a travel spot that warrants visits because it is safe and a beautiful dive destination. The people of the island are fabulous.
What you do need to worry about is the people that will try to make you party too much, they are evil and they hang out at Wet Wendys:D

Agree with all ... leave for our 12th? 13th? (I've lost track!) trip to Cozumel in 11 days. Cozumel is one of the safest places we've traveled to. People are super nice, food is great and diving is terrific! We've been twice this year already, and while I wouldn't go anywhere near the TX/Mexico border these days, I feel 100% safe going to Cozumel.

We're as shocked as anyone to read the news headlines that are coming out at the moment, and can't believe it's the same country we live in!

We have more than 60 people coming out in May for a wedding, all close friends and family, there's no way we'd do that if we thought that they'd be in danger.

Seriously, book the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom