Is now a dangerous time to travel to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This topic will continue to come up as the media and general public are ignorant of the facts. Just last week I was speaking to a gentleman who told me I was crazy for traveling to Cozumel due to the horrible crime. I was not surprised at all to find out that he had never been there and that his knowledge was from what he read and heard. The best we can do is inform people about our experiences and hope they understand. As I have said before, I feel safer walking around Cozumel, at night, alone than I do here in my very very quiet all American subdivision.

:shocked2:But in reality, doesn't virtually every city in the US (and elsewhere) have gang violence?

The gang violence in KC is actually fairly severe for its size and location. It was infested by gangs in LA in the late 80's. It was just a poor choice to use for an example.
Disclaimer: My wife's from Kansas, still owns the family farm outside KC. I am from LA, so she says its all my fault.

The gang violence in KC is actually fairly severe for its size and location. It was infested by gangs in LA in the late 80's. It was just a poor choice to use for an example.
Disclaimer: My wife's from Kansas, still owns the family farm outside KC. I am from LA, so she says its all my fault.

Understood, however, BTravlin's point was clear to me as I am sure it was to others. It is asinine for people to blanket an entire country for what is happening in certain places, especially when they don't even have the geographic knowledge to see that they are closer to the problem than we are! Let me try a different example - don't travel West, TX because there is gang violence in Dallas and Houston. Same difference as in Mexico. (don't travel to small town because there is crime in mainstream areas of same country or state in my example)

Additionally, my reply was more as a general observation (frustration) to the overall perception of crime on the island.

Tell people to look at a map when they question travel plans to the very peaceful paradise island of Cozumel!

Understood, however, BTravlin's point was clear to me as I am sure it was to others. It is asinine for people to blanket an entire country for what is happening in certain places, especially when they don't even have the geographic knowledge to see that they are closer to the problem than we are! Let me try a different example - don't travel West, TX because there is gang violence in Dallas and Houston. Same difference as in Mexico. (don't travel to small town because there is crime in mainstream areas of same country or state in my example)

Additionally, my reply was more as a general observation (frustration) to the overall perception of crime on the island.

Tell people to look at a map when they question travel plans to the very peaceful paradise island of Cozumel!

I understand your point, even agree with you. Cozumel is a smallish town and most people consider it safe. But please don't lecture me the necessity of understanding geography and then tell me Dallas or Houston is in West Texas, it cripples your logic. Dallas is located in North Texas.

She wasn't saying they were in West Texas, her point was you don't avoid West Texas because of violence in Dallas or Houston which aren't in West Texas.

Similarly, my point was you don't avoid Kansas City because of an epidemic of violence in LA. Had nothing to do with the amount of violence in Kansas City, just the geographical distance between one place and another.

I understand your point, even agree with you. Cozumel is a smallish town and most people consider it safe. But please don't lecture me the necessity of understanding geography and then tell me Dallas or Houston is in West Texas, it cripples your logic. Dallas is located in North Texas.

Gee that's grumpy.... :shocked2: :rofl3:

She wasn't saying they were in West Texas, her point was you don't avoid West Texas because of violence in Dallas or Houston which aren't in West Texas.

Similarly, my point was you don't avoid Kansas City because of an epidemic of violence in LA. Had nothing to do with the amount of violence in Kansas City, just the geographical distance between one place and another.

You beat me to it. Some folks just like to argue.

I wasn't lecturing YOU at all - read my post again - my reply was a general reply to the situation and perception many others have! I agree with you - don't be grumpy - haha!

And I know EXACTLY where Houston and Dallas are - I was born and raised in Texas - born in Houston, lived in Austin for 16 years. I spent many summers as a kid at church camp outside of San Angelo and and drove through West Texas several summers in a row on my way to Canyon, TX (yes, I know it's in the Panhandle) when my sister was playing the leading role in the outdoor theater in Palo Duro Canyon in "TEXAS" So my point is that I am very familiar with Texas geography as well as US and World geography - I'm a well traveled girl and very grateful and proud of that. It amazes me how many people don't even know the geographic location of where they are traveling (not you - again, general statement).

Cheer up :)

Reading her post carefully, it looks to me like Christi is referring to West, TX which is a small community (population around 3,000) along I-35 half-way between Waco and Hillsboro. It's the kind of place where it's pretty durn safe to walk down the street at night. (BTW, most folks from both West, TX and "West Texas" tend to be very nice and hospitable).

I've lost count of the number of people who have expressed concern for my safety when they hear I'm going to dive in Cozumel. I'll keep on patiently explaining what it's really like. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom