Is now a dangerous time to travel to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanx Everyone....I'm travelling with 24 people from the local dive shop (including the owners) so dumb dive plans will probably be avoided. Can't say anything about turista though...just gonna watch what I eat

no change. Still safer than most big cities here in the u.s.

Get out a map and show your daughter where all the incidents mentioned in news articles are taking place and then show her where cozumel is. Mexico is a big country. Like worrying about going to kansas city due to epidemic of violence in la. Have a great trip!

exactly!!!!!

No change. Still safer than most big cities here in the U.S.

Get out a map and show your daughter where all the incidents mentioned in news articles are taking place and then show her where Cozumel is. Mexico is a big country. Like worrying about going to Kansas City due to epidemic of violence in LA. Have a great trip!
It's like during the Great Swine Flu Scare a couple of years ago. When I told folks I was going to Cozumel right in the thick of it, they sort of freaked out. Then I showed them on a map that when I was on Cozumel, I was actually farther away from the difficulties in Mexico City than I was at home.

It's like during the Great Swine Flu Scare a couple of years ago. When I told folks I was going to Cozumel right in the thick of it, they sort of freaked out. Then I showed them on a map that when I was on Cozumel, I was actually farther away from the difficulties in Mexico City than I was at home.
Back then, I had the same reaction from everyone at work. They thought I was crazy for going to Cozumel. Funny how we can live so close to Mexico here and hardly anyone has a clue about what's where in Mexico!! :shocked2:

Dangerous, dangerous, dangerous!! You should send your tickets and reservation vouchers to me so I can dispose of them properly :eyebrow: If you have any extras, send them too. I have kids and well, I guess I don't really like them all that much cuz I usually bring at least one of them with me :wink:

No change. Still safer than most big cities here in the U.S.

Get out a map and show your daughter where all the incidents mentioned in news articles are taking place and then show her where Cozumel is. Mexico is a big country. Like worrying about going to Kansas City due to epidemic of violence in LA. Have a great trip!

You do realize Kansas City actually has a rather significant gang problem? I believe Forbes Magazine rated KC the 4th most dangerous city over 100,000 pop in 2010. Probably not a good example to use.

I wish we had a sticky, perhaps, opinion poll on or general statement of some sort regarding Cozumel crime and Best Dive OP questions.....:idk:

I wish we had a sticky, perhaps, opinion poll on or general statement of some sort regarding Cozumel crime and Best Dive OP questions.....:idk:

Well I did pull the numbers in an old thread and compare the murder rates. Coz came in around Virginia Beach, VA. It was way safer than the crime ridden areas of the US. I *think* the rate was lower than the FL keys, I believe.

You are so right ....Michael and I also were in Coz at that time. There were more H1N1 cases in Austin and Houston than there were in Cozumel, which , at the time was ZERO.... The threat was to the citizens of Cozumel, not the tourists.

:shocked2:
You do realize Kansas City actually has a rather significant gang problem? I believe Forbes Magazine rated KC the 4th most dangerous city over 100,000 pop in 2010. Probably not a good example to use.

But in reality, doesn't virtually every city in the US (and elsewhere) have gang violence?

It's just so ridiculous that crimes that occur on a daily basis in virtually every US town/city are taken so lightly, but God forbid we have a robbery or a "professional" hit out on a drug dealer in the same year! :shakehead:

I still feel safer here than anywhere else! I even ventured out to the ATM all by myself at 11pm last night! :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom