Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, if the Dive Talk video is to be believed. They had already committed to reimbursement before the public outcry. They had already admitted to Woodie that there had been a policy breakdown.

According to the DAN statement, it appears the the reimbursement actually occurred before the video was even posted. Which makes the video even more inflammatory/defamatory since they didn't state that.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
They did say Dan reimbursed them in the video. They are just being public on what they experienced. They wanted Dan to make changes. Clearly Dan made some mistakes and they owned up to them in there article post. Now yes dive talk over exaggerated things.

I am also surprised that those personal attack comments were not moderated, especially in this thread that is about DAN, and not even accident analysis
You weren't reading very well. Most of the censored comments were not questioning them about DAN. Most of them were questioning their statements/behaviors about what happened before they called DAN.

We were going only by the information presented in the video. They were either exaggerating Woodie's initial symptoms (which would have explained their actual behavior) or they were ignoring their mistakes given those symptoms.

EDIT:
(I have been told that I misremember the video and they did state they had been reimbursed so the following statement is inappropriate)
Given that DAN had already fully reimbursed Woodie days before they posted the video, it was dishonest of them not to state that.

"DAN Insurance worthless?"

The evidence appears to be that Woodie received over $25,000 of reimbursement in less than a week from DAN (according to DAN's public statement).

DAN insurance, even the highest level, costs much less than $1,000. Woodie has been insured with DAN much less than 25 years. So he has receive many times the value he paid for.

Whoever wrote that thread title should be ashamed of themselves. Board moderators should change it to something less offensive. How was such a title even allowed in the "Dive Medicine Q&A" forum in the first place?
Plus, DAN may have paid the chamber in Atlanta and US based medical providers direct, if so, DAN has paid out much more than 25K

Plus, DAN may have paid the chamber in Atlanta and US based medical providers direct, if so, DAN has paid out much more than 25K
The thread title should be changed to "DAN proves its worth in a real dive incident, despite making some SOP errors!"

Credit card (number) should be provided by the insurer if needed. If DAN agreed to cover the cost of the treatment as well as transport, they should have provided the cc infromation over the phone. I see in the blog that they will have this now as a corrective measure but it should have been sop. I use AquaMed and to my knowledge, this is how they do it already.

I am sure you are technically correct, and I am glad DAN is stepping up and changing their policies. As for me, I am generally not the type to put my life in the hands of insurance companies, even if I like the insurance company. The problems with the credit cards are therefore the thing that leaps out at me the most, but I certainly understand where others are coming from.

The thread title should be changed to "DAN proves its worth in a real dive incident, despite making some SOP errors!"
In fairness, had Gus and Woody followed DAN's lead/timeline and Woody had long lasting damage (clickbait title "Woody lost his woody!), the fact that DAN paid would not have made up for the long lasting impacts of the delay (which may or may not have occurred, or if had occurred may or may not have happened with faster treatment or not, because life ain't fair and DCS , especially type 2 is not one simple thing)

Prove their worth may be a bit strong in this case IMHO, but yeah, it's worthwhile to have their insurance

Credit card (number) should be provided by the insurer if needed. If DAN agreed to cover the cost of the treatment as well as transport, they should have provided the cc infromation over the phone. I see in the blog that they will have this now as a corrective measure but it should have been sop. I use AquaMed and to my knowledge, this is how they do it already.
Did you actually read the blog post? Paying was in their SOP but it appears that DAN’s travel assistance provider deviated from the SOP:

Screenshot 2024-01-03 112934.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom