Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worthwhile == Proved their worth
we can argue semantics, be pedantic or whatever.
not being out of pocket is not the same as getting what you think you paid for based on the marketing. (even when most do get that)

not being out of pocket is not the same as getting what you think you paid for based on the marketing. (even when most do get that)
Everybody makes mistakes, even corporations. It's how they make it right that's important.

Everybody makes mistakes, even corporations. It's how they make it right that's important.
Agree 💯

No diver, especially one doing tech/overhead/exploration/remote etc should EVER put faith in anyone or any company that they are going to be able to save the day. I have seen over and over divers rationalize stupid by saying "I followed the dive computer, the divemaster should have, the bartender shouldn't have served me so much booze, I don't like using a condom cath, my instructor said/did it that way" while doing everything they can to avoid taking a hard look in the mirror at whom is really responsible.

But that my friend is human nature, and we are all human, with everything marvelous and crappy that it entails.

I will return to my regular scheduled sarcastic self and not be a philosophical old man raging at clouds soon, meanwhile I am glad a friend didn't die or have long term problems, give some thoughts to all the friends I have lost to this passion we share as divers.

give some thoughts to all the friends I have lost to this passion we share as divers.
It's been way, way, way too many.

Being underwater is absolutely wonderful, till it's not. That can be said about most everything, I guess. In the end, you live and die by your decisions, and that includes proper planning.

Not just "not being out of pocket". Woodie is tens of thousands of dollars ahead of where he would be without DAN.

Did you actually read the blog post - paying was in their SOP but it appears that DAN’s travel assistance provider deviated from the SOP.
I checked the corrective action points, there is 1 mention of credit card in the whole text anyway. There is a difference between billing and paying by credit card in advance. To me that SOP deviation statement is still a bit vague, they say dan is there to pay, they do not say by any means possible. If they had it in their SOP, why do they make a corrective ap? As reference below text is from faq of my insurance, it is very clear.
The local hyperbaric chamber says it does not recognise the dive card. What should I do?

Most hyperbaric chambers in the well-known diving areas are familiar with aqua med and once you present the dive card, there should be no problems in terms of billing.

If there are ever any doubts after all, please let us know straight away. We will contact the hyperbaric chamber and send them a document confirming the coverage of costs so they can directly bill us for their services. If an immediate payment is demanded at a hyperbaric chamber, we are able to process this through our company credit card. In addition to this, we have partner companies in some countries which can manage the transactions on our behalf if necessary.

It's been way, way, way too many.

Being underwater is absolutely wonderful, til it's not. That can be said just about everything I guess. In the end, you live and die by your decisions, and that includes proper planning.
Too many, they are all starting to blur together and it bothers me frankly.

Some of them made mistakes that caused me to avoid making them myself, many, too fracking many doing stuff I would and have done and some none of it makes any gd sense at all.

But, you get old enough in this sport and played at a certain level you see it, it happens. You see changes and most frustrating you see the lessons we learned a generation ago start to be repeated by the younger generation but opening the cake hole to say something just makes you an old fuddy and ignored by those that need to hear it the most.

You also get to see divers/instructors that you trained go on to do amazing things you would have never thought possible, impact lives and even become incredible instructor trainers and more than your equal. Some may find that bittersweet, I find it deeply satisfying and just the occasional twinge of jealousy and feeling my age.

Life. It's just life, and diving has been central to mine for 43 years and 7,000 dives plus since I got certified at 13 and what wonderful experiences, sights and people I have gotten to meet along the way. Now, I just have the last little bit of my bucketlist of dives left to do and a whole bunch of "easy" dives with friends to fill out the next however many years left (I could do with less back and ankle pain however)

I find it deeply satisfying and just the occasional twinge of jealousy and feeling my age.
I get a charge when other instructors compliment my students' trim and buoyancy in their cavern classes. I might not be able to change the world, but I know I've impacted a few people's diving. That's enough for me. Stay positive, but dive neutral!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom