Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Montreal, DAN doesn't cover us. So anywhere' i go i will be on my own.
From DAN:

Dive Accident Insurance​

DAN dive accident insurance* is an affordable way for divers to obtain insurance against the costs of dive injuries that are often left uncovered by typical health insurance.

• Covers diving accidents & injuries, and some plans also cover nondiving and named water sports accidents & injuries
  • Pays 100% of eligible accident medical expenses up to US$500,000
  • Includes coverage for divers age 70 and over in the U.S. and Canada
  • Join DAN first, then add your insurance
  • Plans recognized worldwide
  • Annual coverage

Does it seem hypocritical for Woody, who frequently states his resume of over 6,000 dives and numerous instr. certs as he sits in judgment on DT weekly while reviewing videos of other divers incidents, while at the same time, he does not show in his incident most of his accent or what happened when he exited the water and what his condition actually was, while at the same time not acknowledging that both himself and Gus made several errors that led to this situation ?

If Woody does not disclose every single page of transcript to give the open transparency of his incident for the betterment of the dive community, he should be called out on that. Waiting to see the transcripts in FULL.
Woody did say, he would include all medical records as well. Does anyone happen to know Woody's age?

The point is that DAN's current SOP was that DAN (not the insured diver) would pay for treatment when needed. The correction is needed as there clearly was a screw up here. As they stated, they are now taking additional steps to ensure there are no future payment issues like what happened in this incident where the affected diver had to pay upfront.
If you read carefully, my post was explicitly discussing credit card usage. I have never seen their previous sop nor read anywhere in faq that members can count on it that they do not have to have cc with a mighty limit until those amendments. Thanks to this incidents, now we know.

They are an entertainment channel and often use widely expensive statements to make their show more captivating. They are the dive version of shock jocks and this time they are the subjects of a react video (again). Unfortunately they have a lot of followers who see them as infallible here and can't let go to properly see that.

The media literacy rate of the consumers of this type of "online social media content" is generally low. It is reasonable to expect that most of the "followers" will never read (or understand) DAN's response either.

Does it seem hypocritical for Woody, who frequently states his resume of over 6,000 dives and numerous instr certs as he sits in judgment on DT weekly while reviewing videos of other divers incidents, while at the same time, he does not show in his incident most of his accent or what happened when he exited the water and what his condition actually was, while at the same time not acknowledging that both himself and Gus made several errors that led to this incident ?

If Woody does not disclose every single page of transript to give the open transparency of his incident for the betterment of the dive community, he should be called out on that. Waiting to see the transcripts in FULL. Woody did say, he would include all medical records as well. Does anyone happen to know Woody's age?
I am happy to bet we will not see that.
Once the dust settles, chances are that Woody and Gus realize that they are not as clean in all this (DAN part of story, not diving) and they will just let it slide in hope we will forget.
Other option is they will tout how they forced DAN to change (which they did) and just ignore other inconvenient parts of this story.

The media literacy rate of the consumers of this type of "online social media content" is generally low. It is reasonable to expect that most of the "followers" will never read (or understand) DAN's response either.

From the groupies on FB:

IMG_0114.jpeg
IMG_0113.jpeg

If you read carefully, my post was explicitly discussing credit card usage. I have never seen their previous sop nor read anywhere in faq that members can count on it that they do not have to have cc with a mighty limit until those amendments. Thanks to this incidents, now we know.
But, per DAN's blog, that is not supposed to the case. DAN is supposed to normally pay the provider directly (by whatever method: credit card, wire transfer, etc.,) and the diver should not have to prepay these charges on their own credit card. In fact, that was a big concern in this incident that DAN has now clarified.

That said, I still believe it is unwise to travel to remote places without a credit card (better to have more than one) with a high limit in case things don't go as expected.

Respect in the dive community? Legitimate voice in the industry? lol....

Before this situation, I had never really heard of them or watched their channel. I checked out a few videos since and was not impressed with their content - typical of YouTube wannabe influencers that I don't follow for anything. For me, nothing of value but others may like it and find it useful/entertaining, I suppose - "different strokes for different folks" and no ill will intended.

They are an entertainment channel and often use widely expensive statements to make their show more captivating. They are the dive version of shock jocks and this time they are the subjects of a react video (again). Unfortunately they have a lot of followers who see them as infallible here and can't let go to properly see that.
Sure, I absolutely agree that they are an entertainment channel.

They were specifically accused of exaggerating this situation with DAN by several people. What specifically did Dive Talk exaggerate?
I believe they mentioned feces on the wall of the hospital. I highly doubt that was the case.
Neither of us has a way of verifying that was true or not. It's not really relevant to DAN either.
They did say Dan reimbursed them in the video. They are just being public on what they experienced. They wanted Dan to make changes. Clearly Dan made some mistakes and they owned up to them in there article post. Now yes dive talk over exaggerated things.
What did Dive Talk exagurate?
I repeat myself, what did Dive Talk themselves exaggerate?

edit: I think there has been some conflation between some reactions by other people, like "Is DAN Worthless?" versus what Dive Talk themselves actually said and did about the situation. Dive Talk obviously kicked open this can of worms by talking about it in such a public way. Talking about their side of the story in a one-sided is very plausible, and what most humans do too. But what specifically did Dive Talk themselves exaggerate or lie about?

Me personally, I don't think DAN or Dive Talk are bad guys in this story, it just seems like a poop situation that could have been handled better by everyone.

I expect the next DT video may be slow coming out to be released, due to the extensive thought and editing that will go into it to protect their image. If Woody does the full disclosure and transparency he said at the end of the last video, then Woody deserves credit.
I thought they used to say in their videos that diving below 130' should be on Trimix ? Anyone a big enough fan of their channel who can confirm that ?

Sure would be nice if DT would come on here and collaborate with SB and do a Q and A to help the dive community learn from this event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom