Is a long hose cumbersome on dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I wanted to do is get people to consider that there isn't a perfect rig for all types of diving. Each has its own pro's and cons, and before embarking down a route one should fully consider the implications of that decision., rather than just blindly adopting a configuration.
Well, if nothing else, I think we agree 100% on this.

I kind of grew into preferring the long hose config. I started out in a standard jacket/octo rig, but after switching my compact camera without strobes with a more serious rig, I discovered a few disadvantages with the jacket. The front bulge of a filled BCD interfered with my rig, and with an octo hanging in my right shoulder D-ring, clipping the rig across my chest for shore entry and exit - or climbing a dive ladder - was cumbersome.

So when I was offered an old back inflate BCD for free, I decided to give it a try. That at least got rid of the tummy bulge, but my octo still didn't make it easy to clip my rig to the D-ring. That's when I decided to go all out, and I bought a bp/w and a long hose. And I found out that a clean front is really appreciated when I'm carrying my camera. One or two airshare drills with the long hose made me remove my snorkel from my mask strap, and another drill where my hoses were tangled made me appreciate the importance of an S-drill as part of the pre-dive check.

All of that testing was done under very benign conditions, at our regular training site which is so easy that you could run an OW class there. It was only after I'd become familiar with my new gear that I was willing to use it for other dives, and that's a practice I still follow. After any kind of gear reconfig or major service, or if I've been out of the water for a while, I go for a shakedown dive at that site. I probably know the back of my hand a little bit better, but not much.

My RD instructor wasn't a fan of my long hose, but she wasn't making a fuss over it. And yes, a couple of the RD exercises may well have been done a little more easily in a conventional jacket/octo config, but I wanted to take that class in the gear I'm diving regularly. Because I don't dive enough to be properly familiar with different gear configs. I prefer to dive the same gear, the same setup no matter the purpose of my dive.

Because I don't dive enough to be properly familiar with different gear configs. I prefer to dive the same gear, the same setup no matter the purpose of my dive.

Hi Storker,

You and I are on the same page on this.

May I add, I feel comfortable wearing my rig. I have it dialed in.

With 10 mills of rubber over my core, I am dialed in.

With 5 mils and no hood, I still have it dialed in.

With a 5 mil spring suit, I am still dialed in.

1/2 mil skin, yes, I am still dialed in.

Fresh water, no problem.

I have a plastic coated matrix with all of my trim and sinker configurations. That matrix includes variables such as different ponies or stage bottles. I am dialed in, and most importantly, I am comfortable and confident with my rig.

If a prospective buddy does not like the briefing I give regarding him/her being OOG and me donating my primary long hose, I will go dive solo, or I will buddy-up with the DM if it is a guided dive with newbs. If a diver is OOG and approaches the DM, I will get out of the way and let the DM do his/her job. I am not a trained life guard. Swim to the person who is.

I like my hog looped primary. I feel comfortable knowing that my redundant second stage is secure, not being banged-up bouncing along the reef, and is always right below my chin. I like it there.

I hope people recognize that I keep writing about three different people here: me, myself, and I!

cheers to you :cheers:

markm

10 mills of rubber over my core
Drysuit, my friend. Drysuit. Just sayin'.

Being comfy warm and snug during the SI is invaluable. Literally. A good undersuit is worth its weight in gold. Just last weekend I met some freedivers. I really didn't envy them as they were stripping bare in ~0C, a stiff breeze and snow before getting into their car. My only concern was that my windshield was fogging over a bit for the first five minutes of the drive home.

What I wanted to do is get people to consider that there isn't a perfect rig for all types of diving. Each has its own pro's and cons, and before embarking down a route one should fully consider the implications of that decision., rather than just blindly adopting a configuration.

Hi DD,

You and I are different divers. I am a glorified vacation diver, and well...you are a pro. And I mean that sincerely. You need to consider how your set-up and actions affect others.

I need to know how my actions affect my wife or experienced buddy.

My narrow scope, or myopia, is OK because my wife/buddies and I are communicating on the same frequency.

Enjoyed it :popcorn:,
markm

Drysuit, my friend. Drysuit. Just sayin'.

Hi Storker,

I hear ya. I just don't dive cold water/climes enough to justify it. I do have a custom wetsuit that is easily doffed and donned. During the SI, I get warmed up very well.

cheers,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom